Author Topic: House Whip Steve Scalise: Conservatives are the GOP’s future  (Read 763 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/03/steve-scalise-avoid-moderate-2016-116502.html?hp=b1_l1

House Whip Steve Scalise: Conservatives are the GOP’s future

By Jake Sherman and John Bresnahan

3/30/15 9:57 AM EDT

House Majority Whip Steve Scalise has a solution for the GOP’s presidential election woes — double-down on conservatism.

The Louisiana Republican is hoping the party avoids nominating a moderate in 2016, noting that candidates from the GOP’s center have failed to win the White House during the last two elections. Scalise thinks this is a mistake, and he wants to avoid picking a standard bearer who isn’t a true conservative.

“People are like, ‘Oh, should it be a moderate? Somebody who can get elected?’” Scalise said during a wide-ranging interview in his Capitol office.

“You know, I’d argue we’ve had moderates nominated the last few times and they haven’t won,” he said. “Show me the last time a conservative has lost the presidency. I think if we have a strong conservative with a proven record, we’ll win the White House.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/03/steve-scalise-avoid-moderate-2016-116502.html#ixzz3VyK0k2qu
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 02:03:39 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Longiron

Re: House Whip Steve Scalise: Conservatives are the GOP’s future
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 02:56:15 pm »
Majority Whip under Booner talking about Conservatism is the future. Something does not sound right and also smells ????JMO  :thud:

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 12:28:43 am »
Yeah, right.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 12:39:27 am »
House Whip Steve Scalise: Conservatives are the GOP’s future

That is true if the GOP is to have any future at all!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 12:51:08 am »
That is true if the GOP is to have any future at all!

No it isn't.  So-called "conservatives" are a shrinking bloc and are even in the middle term will become utterly irrelevant if they don't accept their minority status and start learning the art of compromise rather than trying to lord it over everyone else.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 01:44:49 am »
No it isn't.  So-called "conservatives" are a shrinking bloc and are even in the middle term will become utterly irrelevant if they don't accept their minority status and start learning the art of compromise rather than trying to lord it over everyone else.

8detect8
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien