Author Topic: Harry Reid will not seek reelection  (Read 1086 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Harry Reid will not seek reelection
« on: March 27, 2015, 12:22:01 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/237179-harry-reid-will-not-seek-reelection

March 27, 2015, 07:50 am
Harry Reid will not seek reelection
By David McCabe and Cameron Joseph

Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) announced Friday morning he will not seek reelection.

His departure opens up a top swing seat and deprives Republicans of their hopes to take out the Democratic leeader.

"I have had time to ponder and to think," he said in a video released by his office, referring to his recent time off as a result of an injury. "We’ve got to be more concerned about the country, the Senate, the State of Nevada than us and as a result of that, I’m not going to run for reelection."

He tried to limit speculation that the departure was linked to the injuries he sustained to his face and ribs earlier this year that has left him with dark bruises on his face and wearing protective glasses.

"The decision they I’ve made has absolutely nothing to do with my injury, it has nothing to do with my being minority leader, and it certainly has nothing to do with my ability to be reelected, because the path to reelection is much easier than it probably has been any time that I’ve run for reelection,” he said.

Reid, however, did indicate that his decicion was, in part, motivated by political calculations, saying he didn't want to use resources that could help Democrats elsewhere in 2016 as they try to win back the Senate in a year where Republicans are largely on defense.

"We have to make sure that the Democrats take control of the Senate again. And I feel it is inappropriate for me to soak up all those resources on me when I could be devoting those resources to the caucus, and that’s what I intend to do," he said in the video.

The New York Times was the first to report on Reid's decision to retire from the Senate.

Reid's departure will draw to a close a long career in the upper chamber that began in 1986. He rose in the ranks of the Senate Democratic Caucus, eventually serving as majority leader from 2007 through this year.

When the Republicans took the Senate in last year's midterms, there was some speculation he might be replaced. But he prevailed, and was reelected to serve another term as the Democrat's leader.

Reid's vaunted political machine will likely rally around a candidate to replace him. Potential replacements include former Nevada Attorney General Catherine Cortez Masto, who is close with Reid, and former Nevada Secretary of State Ross Miller. Former Nevada Lieutenant Governor candidate Lucy Flores could also be in the mix.

On the GOP side, strategists continue to hope they can woo Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval into the race, though he's shown no interest in being senator and most think he won't run.

Nevada Lt. Gov. Mark Hutchison and Nevada state Senate Leader Michael Roberson, both of whom are close to Sandoval, are viewed as potential establishment Republican candidates, while former Nevada Lt. Gov. Brian Krolicki is also looking at the race. Las Vegas City Councilman Bob Beers, who's aligned with the Tea Party, is already running.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline aligncare

Re: Harry Reid will not seek reelection
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 12:30:33 pm »
He doesn't want to have to defend his record as Obama's butt boy so he decided it's better to silently crawl back under the dessert rock whence he slithered.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 12:38:02 pm »
Either that or he's finally stolen enough or the beating he got changed his mind (what is left of it.)
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 12:43:21 pm »
Either that or he's finally stolen enough or the beating he got changed his mind (what is left of it.)

Or some of both!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 01:19:17 pm »
and deprives Republicans of their hopes to take out the Democratic leeader.
First off, it's spelled “leader;” second, by retiring, he's basically surrendered. But I expect this pro-Democratic bilge from The Hill.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 02:28:27 pm »
So, Satan is calling Reid home finally?

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 03:16:13 pm »
Even better now.  Imagine President Ted Cruz in 2017 with a Republican House and Senate and Harry Reid is gone!  Happy Days!!!   :patriot:
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 03:23:56 pm »
Yeah, but it may end up being that weasel Schumer who takes the place of that weasel Reid.

Of course the rats have a bullpen full of weasels, so I suppose it doesn't matter which weasel the 'rats tap.

rangerrebew

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 03:51:29 pm »

THANK GOD: Scumbag Harry Reid Won’t Run For Re-election In 2016

03.27.2015 | Jerome Hudson | 0

According to news reports, a major impediment to progress will not seek reelection in the U.S. Senate in 2016.

Harry Reid is one of the filthiest, slimmiest pieces of garbage a mass of people have ever sent to represent their interest in Washington D.C.

Here are more details on this fantastic news from CNBC:

Senator Harry Reid, the tough tactician who has led Senate Democrats since 2005, will not seek re-election next year, bringing an end to a three-decade congressional career that culminated with his push of President Obama’s ambitious agenda against fierce Republican resistance.

Mr. Reid, 75, who suffered serious eye and facial injuries in a Jan. 1 exercise accident at his Las Vegas home, said he had been contemplating retiring from the Senate for months. He said his decision was not attributable either to the accident or to his demotion to minority leader after Democrats lost the majority in November’s midterm elections.

Harry Reid went from a boxer to a big corrupt bag of Congressional crap.

Reid came to Washington 30 years ago with little money. When he was asked how he had made his millions, Daily Surge publisher Jason Mattera was ignored, jacked up and shoved into a wall by one of Harry Reid goons.

I say good riddance to Harry Reid, a special kind of scumbag.

Read more at http://dailysurge.com/2015/03/thank-god-scumbag-harry-reid-wont-run-for-re-election-in-2016/

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 02:29:07 am »
 :0012: :cheerlead: :headbang: :dancer: :elephant: :hands: :elephant: :dancer: :headbang: :cheerlead: :0012: