Author Topic: Democrats favor Martin O’Malley for president if Hillary doesn’t run  (Read 1511 times)

Offline mountaineer

Democrats favor Martin O’Malley for president if Hillary doesn’t run
By Fredric U. Dicker
March 23, 2015 | 12:19am
New York Post

Former Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley will be the choice of New York Democrats for president if Hillary Clinton is forced out of the race by her State Department email scandal, a prominent Democrat has told The Post.

The well-known New York Democrat also said that Clinton’s email scandal had “knocked her off her pedestal,’’ and compared her attempts to restrict access to her official email correspondence to those made by disgraced President Richard M. Nixon during the 1970s Watergate scandal.

O’Malley, an all-but-announced candidate who was on a campaign swing in Iowa over the weekend, “is the one who I think is going to emerge as the front-runner if Hillary is forced out,’’ said the Democrat, a strong Clinton backer whose views carry considerable weight with party members.

“O’Malley’s the one who is best organized. He’s the one who has a team in place. I really think he’s the front-runner,’’ the Democrat continued.

“O’Malley is a guy who has always done the right thing politically. He was a team player who made friends with everybody when he was governor. He would do things for people that I think he thought they’d remember him by, and they did.

“[Mass. Sen.] Elizabeth Warren is just too far to the left, sort of in the George McGovern category, and while [Vice President Joe] Biden’s own people may be taking him seriously, he’s never really been able to catch on,’’ said the Democrat, referring to other potential candidates should Clinton not run.

Clinton, meanwhile, “has been knocked off her pedestal’’ by revelations that she used a questionable private email system for official communications during her years as secretary of state, but “hasn’t yet been sufficiently damaged to be forced out of the race,’’ said the Democrat, who has had frequent contact with the former first lady and New York senator.

“What’s so bad about this is that she mixed her personal emails with her State Department emails and now it’s to be determined what was personal and what was not, which is a tough position.

“It’s a position President Nixon got in with his own tapes. He said they were his own tapes, that he recorded them. But, guess what — he recorded them in the White House, so they’re public.

“I don’t think what she did is fatal. She can still run if she wants, but it was an unnecessary, self-inflicted wound,’’ the Democrat said.
Since most of us haven't a clue who this guy is (let alone what he has to offer, but considering he's a Democrat, it's probably not much) here's his photo:

More photogenic than the Hilldebeeste, I'll give him that.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline aligncare

Looks like a two-handed glad-hander. You know the kind. Grabs your right arm above the elbow, pulls you in and won't let go. I see them at the county fair, just before I about face.

Offline evadR

He's done such a great job of running Maryland into the ground, he'd be perfect.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Amazing that the article only mentions the Hillary has been "knocked off her pedestal" by the e-mail scandals.  Really?  Hillary was knocked off her pedestal a long time ago with Fast 'n Furious, Benghazi and her statement that she knows what it's like to be poor.

...hmmm the name O'Malley has a nice "Irish-Catholic" ring to it, so I decided to look him up "On the Issues".  Not even close; he supports federal abortion funding and is all for stem cell research. 

He's considered a liberal moderate and way too green for me, not to mention anti-2nd Amendment:

http://issues2000.org/Martin_O%60Malley.htm

I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline aligncare

A democrat can get caught on tape smoking crack, serve time, and get reelected mayor.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
A democrat can get caught on tape smoking crack, serve time, and get reelected mayor.

Ya, you know how those damn Republicans like to go on witch hunts. 
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
From a Republican/conservative position, the question is: How good is he, anyway, as a politician?

Does he have a likeable personality, which served Clinton, Bush and Obama well, according to many analyst?

The thing people need to remember, is that elections are won by the swing independents in/near to the center.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
From a Republican/conservative position, the question is: How good is he, anyway, as a politician?

Does he have a likeable personality, which served Clinton, Bush and Obama well, according to many analyst?

The thing people need to remember, is that elections are won by the swing independents in/near to the center.

Not the case anymore.  There are more registered  "Independents" than ever in history.  There are more Republicans turned Independent as was the case in the recent mid-term elections.  It wasn't that the "Independents" sided with the right, it was the case that they were Republican all along AND perhaps most importantly, it was about the Democratic party losing Democratic voters.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/monkey-cage/wp/2014/11/06/independents-didnt-decide-the-midterm-election/

http://www.gallup.com/poll/166763/record-high-americans-identify-independents.aspx

http://ivn.us/2013/06/18/independents-exceed-party-registration-in-5-states/

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Not the case anymore.  There are more registered  "Independents" than ever in history.  There are more Republicans turned Independent as was the case in the recent mid-term elections.  It wasn't that the "Independents" sided with the right, it was the case that they were Republican all along AND perhaps most importantly, it was about the Democratic party losing Democratic voters.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/monkey-cage/wp/2014/11/06/independents-didnt-decide-the-midterm-election/

http://www.gallup.com/poll/166763/record-high-americans-identify-independents.aspx

http://ivn.us/2013/06/18/independents-exceed-party-registration-in-5-states/
What did I write, to which you replied "not the case anymore?"
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline PzLdr

This is the jamoke who enacted the "Rain Tax" [actually rain water runoff tax]in Maryland. A dipsh*t only a Democrat could love.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline evadR

This is the jamoke who enacted the "Rain Tax" [actually rain water runoff tax]in Maryland. A dipsh*t only a Democrat could love.
How well I know it.  I pay it every quarter.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline Longiron

Why is it that only the PUBS worry about independents ??? The Libs could give a S*** about independents. Independents will be important this election since most are drop outs of the RINOGOP and will not vote for a Rhinocerotidae. Agree a likeable personality usually wins elections as compared to ones competitor. Slick Willie could run in 2016 and kicked everyone's BUTT including Obama. Hillary can win if the RINOGOP nominates another Rhinocerotidae.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 03:50:09 pm by Longiron »

Offline mountaineer

From CNN, for what it's worth.
Council Bluffs, Iowa (CNN)—Marcia Keefer watched Martin O'Malley methodically work the room at a recent Democratic fundraiser in Davenport, Iowa, and readily acknowledged she knew nothing about the former Maryland governor.

"I have to ask, is he running for something or is he something already?" said Keefer, a retiree attending the Scott County Democratic Party's fundraiser.

Keefer, who said she planned to support Hillary Clinton in next year's Democratic caucus, wasn't alone. Almost everyone at the dinner said they knew very little, if anything, about O'Malley.

That confusion crystallizes the central challenge O'Malley faces if he decides to pursue a long-shot run for the Democratic presidential nomination. He must find a way to dent the Clinton political machine and prove that he's a competitive candidate -- not just a backup for progressives who would rather see Elizabeth Warren in the White House.

And it's in Iowa where O'Malley must stake his ground. Failure here would almost certainly doom his campaign. But if he manages to do better than expected -- or even stage an upset -- O'Malley could emerge as a real challenger for Clinton.

Given his reception here this past weekend, there could be a sliver of an opening.  ...
Click on link for rest of article and video.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org