Author Topic: Op-Ed: Ted Cruz doesn't stand a chance this time around  (Read 653 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Op-Ed: Ted Cruz doesn't stand a chance this time around
« on: March 25, 2015, 06:50:53 pm »
Calvin Wolf
Digital Journal
March 25, 2015

U.S. Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) is the first official major candidate for president. He won't win the GOP nomination, but winning in 2016 is likely not his game plan. He is playing the long game and will win through 2016 martyrdom...

(U)ltimately, Cruz may be hoping to galvanize support for his staunch brand of conservatism. He could be hoping that a mainstream Republican wins in 2016, dissatisfies conservatives with a milquetoast term that changes few or no Obama policies, and leaves the electorate hankering for a "true conservative" in 2020 or 2024. Or, perhaps more slyly, he could hope to split the Republicans in 2016 and cause a Democrat to win the White House, giving Republicans four more years of Obama-esque policies. By then, thoroughly sick of liberalism, all non-Democrats will be eager to vote for a libertarian like Cruz...
More

Offline Relic

Re: Op-Ed: Ted Cruz doesn't stand a chance this time around
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 08:11:27 pm »
I think the real long shot is anyone accurately predicting what will happen in the presidential race.

I'm content to let it play out in front of me.

Offline Lando Lincoln

Re: Op-Ed: Ted Cruz doesn't stand a chance this time around
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 08:17:21 pm »
I think the real long shot is anyone accurately predicting what will happen in the presidential race.

I'm content to let it play out in front of me.

Yes... absolutely.  It would be interesting to go back in hindsight to our April 1, 2015 forum postings after the general election in November 2016.  There is so much we can't see at this point in time.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck