Author Topic: Cruz I’m ‘Emphatic’ Balanced Budget Supporter, Want Means Tested Social Security  (Read 15890 times)

Offline Lando Lincoln

Young people work to help support the elderly in exchange for the same when they are elderly.

It can not be sustained as currently configured.  Check out:  http://www.ssa.gov/history/ratios.html

There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
It can not be sustained as currently configured.  Check out:  http://www.ssa.gov/history/ratios.html

I'm confident that we can find a way to reconfigure it and make sure our elderly are cared for.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
I'm only 26 and I am willing to work hard to support older people on social security. Lots of young people feel the same, and I suspect they will still feel the same when I am the elderly one. Sorry everybody, but I completely disagree with getting rid of social security. It helps a lot of people, and there are other huge spending cuts we could be making instead.

No s#it.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Lando Lincoln

I am with those who say refund what I have paid in (with some reasonable adjustments) and I'll take care of the rest.   

It will never happen. Can you imagine the restrictions/stipulations from the government if it did?
John Steinbeck

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

Google "earnings suspense file".
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Oh no, you're not going to get away with that.

The post is still up for everyone to see.

I said:

"Your Grandmother got benefits because she paid for them."

You highlighted that line, then said:

"The part I bolded and underlined is totally incorrect!"

Then you come back and argue that you cash your checks because you were given no choice but to pay into the system.

Am I going a bit fast for you here?

I'm VERY confident that most people will be able to read and accurately interpret what was said Luis so I'll just leave it right there!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Lando Lincoln

Google "earnings suspense file".

Thank you for the reference/lead to something I (guess I) intuitively understood but had never seen the stats.  When I can, I will read more but I saw some tables where upwards of $1 trillion has been "parked" (at least accounting-wise) due largely to the pay-ins of workers who have no legal claim for future benefits (mostly immigrants, obviously).  What I am unable to discern is how those monies are being used presently.  Most articles suggest it is not an untapped and unused pool of money, but rather the ledgers simply account for the $$$  for future purposes. 

I won't post any links because I am not sure which ones have full credibility.  Will read more later.

Thanks Luis.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 05:12:46 pm by Lando Lincoln »
John Steinbeck

Offline GourmetDan

What I am unable to discern is how those monies are being used presently.  Most articles suggest it is not an untapped and unused pool of money, but rather the ledgers simply account for the $$$  for future purposes. 

There's no fiat there (paper or digital), only IOUs from Uncle...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Thank you for the reference/lead to something I (guess I) intuitively understood but had never seen the stats.  When I can, I will read more but I saw some tables where upwards of $1 trillion has been "parked" (at least accounting-wise) due largely to the pay-ins of workers who have no legal claim for future benefits (mostly immigrants, obviously).  What I am unable to discern is how those monies are being used presently.  Most articles suggest it is not an untapped and unused pool of money, but rather the ledgers simply account for the $$$  for future purposes. 

I won't post any links because I am not sure which ones have full credibility.  Will read more later.

Thanks Luis.

Oh, it's neither untapped or unused. The Feds wouldn't pass up on some free money to use.

I do wonder whether or not this unorthodox source of Federal funding is one of the reasons why everyone talks about securing borders and reforming immigration as a campaign topic, but no one ever seems to actually do anything about all the people here illegally and working and whose earnings end up getting suspended in that file.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 05:16:53 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline Lando Lincoln

Oh, it's neither untapped or unused. The Feds wouldn't pass up on some free money to use.

I do wonder whether or not this unorthodox source of Federal funding is one of the reasons why everyone talks about securing borders and reforming immigration as a campaign topic, but no one ever seems to actually do anything about all the people here illegally and working and whose earnings end up getting suspended in that file.

Universally correct maxim:

Follow the money.
John Steinbeck

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Thanks Luis.

Luis is great that way.  He mentioned Frédéric Bastiat's "The Law" one day, and I spent a week reading the book (Kindle, $.99).  It was very enlightening about how far we've strayed from the Founders' intent.  I knew we strayed, but had no idea how much.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

I'm sure it's propping up a balance sheet somewhere.

I'm sure of it.  The dirty little secret is if they ever got a handle on the illegal immigration, the SS receipts would dry up and that aforementioned balance sheet would tip over.  In another manner of speaking, the Government is ripping off the illegals even more than they are threatening to rip the rest of us off for.  I'm sure that gets whispered into every congresscritter's ear whenever they get too feisty about controlling the borders.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
I'm sure it's propping up a balance sheet somewhere.

I'm sure of it.  The dirty little secret is if they ever got a handle on the illegal immigration, the SS receipts would dry up and that aforementioned balance sheet would tip over.  In another manner of speaking, the Government is ripping off the illegals even more than they are threatening to rip the rest of us off for.  I'm sure that gets whispered into every congresscritter's ear whenever they get too feisty about controlling the borders.

I do a lot more reading than posting these days. In one of my forays, I ran across an interesting report.

Go to the link below, download the pdf file, and go to page 6

http://www.prb.org/Publications/Reports/2002/GovernmentSpendinginanOlderAmerica.aspx

The section is titled "Is Population Immigration the Solution to Population Aging?"

It's short, but insightful.

Had to correct the title.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 07:14:43 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Love this place!    :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I do a lot more reading than posting these days. In one of my forays, I ran across an interesting report.

Go to the link below, download the pdf file, and go to page 6

http://www.prb.org/Publications/Reports/2002/GovernmentSpendinginanOlderAmerica.aspx

The section is titled "Is Population Immigration the Solution to Population Aging?"

It's short, but insightful.

Had to correct the title.

That's a good find.  It ties back nicely to the argument about the ratio of workers to retirees being relatively high when SS started, and now it's really low.  The Ponzi scheme is breaking down, and the day of reckoning is not in some far-off decade.

While I'm ticked at the idea of just writing the whole thing off, I could swallow that but for the fact that irresponsible people who haven't done a whit of planning and saving for retirement will get covered like nothing was ever wrong.  This will be the end result if "means testing" gets applied to SS.  Maybe I'm just exhibiting a character flaw.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Love this place!    :beer:

Me too.  You guys and Luis are here.

:beer:
I will NOT comply.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
That's a good find.  It ties back nicely to the argument about the ratio of workers to retirees being relatively high when SS started, and now it's really low.  The Ponzi scheme is breaking down, and the day of reckoning is not in some far-off decade.

While I'm ticked at the idea of just writing the whole thing off, I could swallow that but for the fact that irresponsible people who haven't done a whit of planning and saving for retirement will get covered like nothing was ever wrong.  This will be the end result if "means testing" gets applied to SS.  Maybe I'm just exhibiting a character flaw.

Not a character flaw at all! Particularly in light of your ability to see the truth! Social Security as it is currently constituted is not sustainable period.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

Me too.  You guys and Luis are here.

:beer:

Get a room.

Offline GourmetDan

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline libertybele

Yikes...ok then...back to Cruz.  His comment of "means testing" just may become an issue for him...however, there is the possibility that he may have been misquoted. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Lando Lincoln

Yikes...ok then...back to Cruz.  His comment of "means testing" just may become an issue for him...however, there is the possibility that he may have been misquoted.

He certainly deserves a chance to clarify but "means testing" is very precise terminology.
John Steinbeck

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

I doubt he was misquoted, but I also doubt it will be an issue for him.  Not many people understand why it's a poison pill.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Lando Lincoln

I doubt he was misquoted, but I also doubt it will be an issue for him.  Not many people understand why it's a poison pill.

What is curious is that "means testing" is diametrically opposite of how he is selling himself. He deserves an opportunity to disavow or clarify his remarks.
John Steinbeck