Author Topic: Trump brings birther charge against Cruz  (Read 3261 times)

Offline MACVSOG68

Re: Trump brings birther charge against Cruz
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2015, 05:52:44 pm »
How about if he applied for financial aid in college as a "foreign" student?  Would he be able to do that as a US citizen?  I don't know that he did - no one knows, really.  I mean, those records have not been made public for some reason.

I agree.  It wouldn't change his citizenship status but would open him up to fraud.  Not that half the Country would care.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2015, 06:17:20 pm »
I agree.  It wouldn't change his citizenship status but would open him up to fraud.  Not that half the Country would care.

Sadly true and pretty much a moot point now.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2015, 08:02:03 pm »
I agree that the laws determining citizenship of those born outside US jurisdiction have varied since the first naturalization act, but that hasn't persuaded those who mix up the naturalization rules with the definition of a natural born citizen, and who insist that natural born citizenship can only be bestowed on those born of two US citizen parents, which just isn't the case.  I think with Cruz now in the race though, the very hard-core Obama citizenship opponents will now either soften their prior stance, or overlook it.  And as I said earlier, the framers accepted the English definition, but with the first naturalization act had to expand jus soli for those born outside of US jurisdiction.

That's as much a supposition in your part as anything you claim to be a supposition in mine.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2015, 09:03:59 pm »
How about if he applied for financial aid in college as a "foreign" student?  Would he be able to do that as a US citizen?  I don't know that he did - no one knows, really.  I mean, those records have not been made public for some reason.

IF that happened (and that rumor started from an April Fools joke with a fake student ID image), it would just be fraud, that wouldn't renounce his citizenship.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/birthers/occidental.asp
(If you don't like Snopes, many sites found the same thing and that article links to other sources of proof it was a hoax).
Occidential even made a statement they didn't give scholarships to foreign students, ditto to the Fulbright scholarship he received.

Again, all internet static. In this case, 'common knowledge' started out as a hoax making fun of birthers.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2015, 10:46:08 pm »
That's as much a supposition in your part as anything you claim to be a supposition in mine.

Perhaps, but if it does take two US citizen parents, then your conclusion that Cruz is a NBC wouldn't be valid, or I may have misunderstood you.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2015, 11:22:26 pm »
Let me point out here that the first person to bring up the "birther" issue with Obama was Hillary Clinton.

Just sayin.......   :smokin:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2015, 11:49:43 pm »
Let me point out here that the first person to bring up the "birther" issue with Obama was Hillary Clinton.

Indeed it was a Hillary supporter, who as far as I know is still on the prowl.  Both the natural born citizen issue as well as the Obama birth certificate have made the rounds into a super debate since 2008.  But it is getting a second wind since at least four potential candidates for the GOP nomination face the NBC regurgitation.  And with six years of going after Obama, the Dems will no doubt throw everything into the race if any of them make it through the primaries.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2015, 01:45:24 am »

Yep, it really was a Democrat issue. Before Obama they went after McCain. It was Hillary supporter Phil Berg who started all the lawsuits.