Author Topic: The height of etiquette: Michelle Obama towers over Japanese emperor as she stumbles in silver stilettos while attempting awkward curtsey  (Read 12861 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3002178/Michelle-Obama-towers-Japanese-Emperor-Akihito-smiles-awkwardly.html

The height of etiquette: Michelle Obama towers over Japanese emperor as she stumbles in silver stilettos while attempting awkward curtsey

Mrs Obama towered over Emperor Akihito and stumbled as she tried to bow, shake his hand and curtsey at once
    She also grabbed Japan's First Lady in a hug-and-handshake combination while she was mid-bow
    The awkward trip is being described as a 'makeup call' after Mrs Obama failed to accompany the President to Japan last year
    Tensions are high after death threats to the U.S. Ambassador to Japan
    Mrs Obama wore a green printed dress from Kenzo’s Fall 2014 collection, followed by a striking flower-print suit

By Jake Wallis Simons For Mailonline

Published: 04:56 EST, 19 March 2015 | Updated: 09:42 EST, 19 March 2015

Michelle Obama has had an awkward start to her visit to Japan as she was pictured towering over Emperor Akihito and stumbling as she tried to bow, shake his hand and curtsey at once.

The First Lady, dressed in a florid combination of a blazer and skirt, dwarfed the Emperor in her silver stilettos, while he maintained his composure and smiled politely. She then squatted slightly while shaking his hand, seemingly trying to disguise the difference of height between them.

Mrs Obama, who is 5ft 9in tall, also caused embarrassment earlier in the day when she grabbed Akie Abe, wife of Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, in a hug-and-handshake combination while the Japanese First Lady was trying to bow.

I'm going in: Michelle Obama stumbles as she attempts an awkward combination of curtsey, western handshake and Japanese bow when meeting Emperor Akihito in Tokyo. Matters were not helped by the fact that she towers over him

Just nod and smile: The Japanese Emperor is the height of politeness as he greets Mrs Obama, who squats slightly as she tries to disguise the dramatic height difference between them

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3002178/Michelle-Obama-towers-Japanese-Emperor-Akihito-smiles-awkwardly.html#ixzz3UqZegVKS

« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 03:46:59 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Mrs Obama, who squats slightly as she tries to disguise the dramatic height difference between them

Wearing flats would have helped a little............../s
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Lando Lincoln

There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline GourmetDan

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Online mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline andy58-in-nh

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Lando Lincoln

It is really wrong to be making these comments but...

It...
is...
so...
difficult...
not...
to...
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Mooo.

Alright, I just have to say it. Stop acting like she is grossly overweight; she's not, and it's really kind of petty to continually go there. Even if she was fat (which she isn't), so what? Attack her political positions, not her physical appearance. You're doing the right wing a serious disservice with this crap.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline aligncare

I forget who it was who said it, some fancy English guy, I think.

But, (in trying not to appear too unkind) he said:

"She was a large woman who seemed not so much dressed, as upholstered."
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 06:41:00 pm by aligncare »

Online mountaineer

Alright, I just have to say it. Stop acting like she is grossly overweight; she's not, and it's really kind of petty to continually go there. Even if she was fat (which she isn't), so what? Attack her political positions, not her physical appearance. You're doing the right wing a serious disservice with this crap.
Thanks for your kind and oh-so-helpful words.   **nononono*

Offline Dexter

Thanks for your kind and oh-so-helpful words.   **nononono*

I guess I should have joined you in typing out cow noises instead.
-Socrates

Offline Relic

She's a nasty woman, with bad intentions. As we all know, ridicule is a powerful tool. I don't see why ridicule is a tool that only the left can use.

I despise the Wookie and her effeminate man-child of a husband. I truly enjoy any ridicule of them.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 07:47:13 pm by mystery-ak »
Support the USO

Offline Dexter

She's a nasty woman, with bad intentions. As we all know, ridicule is a powerful tool. I don't see why ridicule is a tool that only the left can use.

I despise the Wookie and her effeminate man-child of a husband. I truly enjoy any ridicule of them.

Do you think swing voters that view this and other Republican forums are going to be impressed by ugly jokes and cow noises? It's about image.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 07:51:15 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline Relic

Do you think swing voters that view this and other Republican forums are going to be impressed by ugly jokes and cow noises? It's about image.

Get a grip. Do you think this forum matters to any but a few? Do you think your liberal friends drop by to see what I have to say on any giving topic? Most swing voters would rather drink acid than vote Republican. And with the current lack of leadership, many former Republicans won't vote Republican either. There is a large contingent here on this very forum that likely won't vote Republican for president in 2016, if the RNC has it's way.

Real assessment: American schools have indoctrinated and mentally crippled a large portion of the under 40 population. Once Boehner, McConnell and BHO finish the amnesty dance, the chance of a Republican being elected president will be just a tick above zero.

So, you wring your hands all you want over our treatment of that heroine, that strong black woman that is likely your role model.

I'll enjoy the ridicule on the way down, as we ride this puppy into the ground.

Offline Dexter

Get a grip. Do you think this forum matters to any but a few? Do you think your liberal friends drop by to see what I have to say on any giving topic? Most swing voters would rather drink acid than vote Republican. And with the current lack of leadership, many former Republicans won't vote Republican either. There is a large contingent here on this very forum that likely won't vote Republican for president in 2016, if the RNC has it's way.

Real assessment: American schools have indoctrinated and mentally crippled a large portion of the under 40 population. Once Boehner, McConnell and BHO finish the amnesty dance, the chance of a Republican being elected president will be just a tick above zero.

So, you wring your hands all you want over our treatment of that heroine, that strong black woman that is likely your role model.

I'll enjoy the ridicule on the way down, as we ride this puppy into the ground.

You know, other than creating a bad image for Republicans it's also just kind of childish. I understand there are idiots on the left that did the same thing to Sarah Palin and other members of the Republican party, but that was stupid and childish of them. Do Republicans really want to do the same thing just because the Democrats do it? If it's really that important to hurl personal insults at politicians you don't like rather than addressing the weaknesses in their positions then go nuts I guess. Not that anybody cares but I'm really disappointed.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 08:10:24 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline musiclady

Now which photo is funnier

Wistfully remembering when our First Lady was............... a LADY! 
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

Right wing??

Is that what you meant to say?

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Relic

Right wing??

Good catch. And yes, yes it is what he/she meant to say.

Offline Dexter

Right wing??

I'm afraid I don't follow.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/right+wing

Right wing means the people that make up the right side of politics.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/left%20wing

Left wing means the people that make up the left side of politics.

By saying he is doing the right wing a disservice I am saying he is hindering the right wing by giving it a negative image. What is the issue here?
-Socrates

Online mountaineer

Oh, grow up. When I say "mooo" about this pathetic excuse for a woman, I'm commenting on her lack of grace, dignity and respect for her position as "First Lady of the United States." I am not a member of the right wing, whatever the hell that may be. I'm just an American who longs for the days when a president and his wife actually loved this nation and represented it around the world with class and dignity. Go ahead and call us names. What's the point, Dex? Do you think by calling us stupid and childish you've persuaded anyone to love or respect Obama and his lovely but equally America-hating and graceless wife?

Eat some arugula. You'll feel better. Michelle says so.

Offline musiclady

I'm afraid I don't follow.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/right+wing

Right wing means the people that make up the right side of politics.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/left%20wing

Left wing means the people that make up the left side of politics.

By saying he is doing the right wing a disservice I am saying he is hindering the right wing by giving it a negative image. What is the issue here?

Never heard the term used disparagingly, have you?

Never heard the term used with the word "extremist" attached to it?

I just haven't seen that term used by many legitimate conservatives........  that's what the "issue" is.

Offline musiclady

Good catch. And yes, yes it is what he/she meant to say.

I'm quite certain it is.