Author Topic: White House blitzes Hill on Iran  (Read 307 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
White House blitzes Hill on Iran
« on: March 18, 2015, 01:39:50 pm »
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/03/white-house-blitzes-hill-on-iran-116170.html?hp=t2_r

White House blitzes Hill on Iran

Even the president himself is trying to contain Democratic defections on Iran legislation.

By Manu Raju and Burgess Everett

3/17/15 8:34 PM EDT

Updated 3/17/15 11:02 PM EDT

The White House is moving aggressively to limit Democratic defections on Capitol Hill that could undermine its negotiations with Iran, dispatching senior officials and President Barack Obama himself to lobby senators against taking action before a nuclear deal with the rogue regime is reached.

Senior administration officials have asked Senate Democrats to notify the White House if they are considering signing onto a bill drafted by Sens. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) and Robert Menendez (D-N.J.) that would give Congress the ability to accept or reject any nuclear deal. The push, several Senate sources said, is to prevent a veto-proof majority from building by heading off any fresh Democratic support for the plan and persuade supporters to keep their powder dry until the conclusion of multilateral negotiations with Iran.

The lobbying effort has come from all quarters. Obama has spoken directly with Democratic senators on the Foreign Relations Committee, including Ben Cardin of Maryland. Other senators who are weighing whether to join the legislative effort, such as Joe Manchin of West Virginia, have been briefed by the likes of Samantha Power, the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations. Vice President Joe Biden, Secretary of State John Kerry and Treasury Secretary Jack Lew have reached out directly to senators, according to sources on Capitol Hill.

And the White House chief of staff, Denis McDonough, warned lawmakers bluntly in a Saturday night letter not to interfere before a tentative deal is reached this month and the final terms are inked in late June.

All told, senators said, it amounted to a White House moving with dispatch to limit Democratic dissension in the face of a growing revolt from Congress.

“I would call it serious-minded,” said Maine Sen. Angus King, an independent who caucuses with Democrats and has discussed the Corker-Menendez bill with administration officials in recent days. He has co-sponsored the plan but has not said how he would vote if the measure heads to the floor imminently. “I think they are concerned.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/03/white-house-blitzes-hill-on-iran-116170.html#ixzz3UkDKYZOO

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Re: White House blitzes Hill on Iran
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 01:44:44 pm »
Let's pray that Obama is NOT successful in cutting a deal with Iran.  You know it won't be good for America.  Anything he seems to plan or do only adds to the demise of this country.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.