Author Topic: WHY CAN’T REPUBLICANS BEAT OBAMA LIKE NETANYAHU JUST DID?  (Read 1490 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
WHY CAN’T REPUBLICANS BEAT OBAMA LIKE NETANYAHU JUST DID?
« on: March 18, 2015, 01:16:11 pm »
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/03/17/why-cant-republicans-beat-obama-like-netanyahu-just-did/

by JOEL B. POLLAK17 Mar 2015

Benjamin Netanyahu’s surprise victory in the Israeli elections grew even bigger overnight. Not only did his Likud Party edge the opposition Zionist Union in the exit polls after trailing roughly 25 seats to 21 seats just days before the election, but the overnight vote total was even more staggering: 29-30 seats for Likud versus 24 for Zionist Union. In other words, Netanyahu beat the projections by nearly 50%–and humiliated U.S. President Barack Obama, who hoped for his defeat.

There are many reasons that Netanyahu surged toward the end. But they all boil down to one: enough Israeli voters knew that a loss for Netanyahu meant a victory for Obama. And they weren’t going to stand for it. On both occasions when Bibi surged in the polls–just prior to his speech to Congress, and on Election Day–a major theme of campaign rhetoric was the charge that Obama was interfering in the elections. (Those charges have merit, as a Senate committee is about to find out.)

Netanyahu won, in other words, by standing up to Obama. That was not the main purpose of his speech to Congress, and it was not something Netanyahu addressed explicitly. But he didn’t need to. All of his last-minute statements–the warning that foreign governments (in general) were trying to overthrow him, the reversal of his support for a Palestinian state, the alarm that Arab voters were being bused to the polls–were rejections, albeit indirect, of Obama’s policies and interventions.

American conservatives are exultant about the result–how could we not be, when the likes of lefty Jan Schakowsky were openly calling for “regime change” in Israel?

More specifically, conservatives are thrilled that Netanyahu stood up to the president–who has openly defied the American electorate and the U.S. Constitution–and won in a landslide.

The question that remains is why Republicans have failed to do anything like what Netanyahu has done, from a far weaker position.

One answer–consistently–has been political correctness. In 2008, John McCain avoided making the racist Rev. Jeremiah Wright, a campaign issue because he was afraid of being accused of race-baiting. More recently, Republicans have declined to impeach Obama for flagrant violations of his oath of office, partly out of deference to his status as the nation’s first black president. Liberals complain Obama is treated worse because of his race; if anything, he is treated far more leniently.

Netanyahu has fewer hangups about political correctness, as in his 11th-hour warning about high Arab turnout (which, as it happened, never materialized). The warning was not racist, as his opponents charged–not when several members of the Joint Arab List are hostile to the state itself, not when the media spent weeks predicting high Arab turnout would doom the Likud. It was, however, an ugly and divisive warning. Bibi did it because he values winning above artistic impression.

A simpler answer is that winning elections begins with solidifying your political base. (Win first, compromise later.) Zionist Union led because it had unified what is left of the center-left in Israel. Netanyahu’s late appeal to the fractured right was simple: join, or die. Many of his new seats were cannibalized from other right-wing parties that would have supported him anyway. Netanyahu realized he needed more than their coalition agreements to win; he needed their voters and their seats.

So Netanyahu came home to Israeli conservatives, and they came home to him. That means he will be more politically constrained when he returns as Prime Minister: he will have less room for compromise with Obama or the Palestinians.

But, crucially, it means he will return as Prime Minister–and will remain in office, if his coalition holds, long after Obama is gone.

In fact, his victory is the first brick in the foundations of the post-Obama era. Republicans have much to learn.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: WHY CAN’T REPUBLICANS BEAT OBAMA LIKE NETANYAHU JUST DID?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 01:19:00 pm »
Good question.....   :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 01:25:31 pm »

Because...

The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party.

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Relic

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 01:27:32 pm »

Because...

The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party.

Anyone who asks the question: WHY CAN’T REPUBLICANS BEAT OBAMA LIKE NETANYAHU JUST DID?

Either isn't paying attention, or is unable to comprehend what they see.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 01:28:31 pm »
One answer–consistently–has been political correctness. In 2008, John McCain avoided making the racist Rev. Jeremiah Wright, a campaign issue because he was afraid of being accused of race-baiting. More recently, Republicans have declined to impeach Obama for flagrant violations of his oath of office, partly out of deference to his status as the nation’s first black president. Liberals complain Obama is treated worse because of his race; if anything, he is treated far more leniently.

This is the only answer that makes sense and one that I have been promoting from the moment "it" was elected the first time.

Political correctness and affirmative-action will be the death of American greatness.

Offline evadR

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 01:45:44 pm »
"NO MARBLES"
Cerano
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 01:55:51 pm »
They  would need far more testosterone [like ANY] than they have now.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 02:26:49 pm »
"Netanyahu won, in other words, by standing up to Obama."

That's the answer in a nutshell. 

Obama didn't realize that he is as hated in the Middle East - both by Jews and Arabs - as he is here (by people that possess brain cells).  In fact, I'd say he is hated MORE there!  They know that his actions have put all of their lives in danger.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 02:35:07 pm »
Because the "Republicans" do not have leadership that is willing to F I G H T !

They are much more concerned with maintaining their social status within the Washington beltway than actually doing anything productive!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 06:00:08 pm »
The reality of the danger in the world is a day to day issue for Israelis versus here in the US, most take this for granted and worry about who promises cookies.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 06:02:11 pm »
The reality of the danger in the world is a day to day issue for Israelis versus here in the US, most take this for granted and worry about who promises cookies.

Excellent! I wish I had said that!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 06:49:16 pm »
Republicans DID beat Obama. Soundly. In 2010 and 2014.  His policies were on the ballot both times, in 2014, at his insistence.

A Republican Congress can't beat Obama because of the way our Constitutional system works. Got to have veto-proof majorities.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 07:02:06 pm »
A Republican Congress can't beat Obama because of the way our Constitutional system works. Got to have veto-proof majorities.

Bull shit! All we need are people in leadership who will take principled stands and not be afraid to F I G H T !!!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 09:21:22 pm »
Bull shit! All we need are people in leadership who will take principled stands and not be afraid to F I G H T !!!

???

I'm sure Sink meant that the way our system is set up, in order to "beat Obama", the GOP needs more seats.

Controlling the Committee budgets is one thing.   Overruling a rogue president is quite another.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 09:30:34 pm »

Look at that and understand what you are seeing there.

That is the outcome of a multiple party election.

We all want to discuss overturning the two-party system via a viable third party, but the reality is that once we dislodge that two-party system, there will be no way of controlling how many viable parties we will have.

Bibi Netanyahu just retained control of the government with 25% of the share of the seats.

Minority parties control multiple party elections. 
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 09:33:30 pm »
Minority parties control multiple party elections.

Tea Party members should consider the source...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 10:46:59 pm »
Why? Because America is not Israel.

Israel was a country built on ideology—the notion that the Jewish race is God's chosen people, above all others. Its citizens are largely self-selected.

America was a country originally built on freedom and separation from Europe, but now it is one built on a welfare state. Obama bribes people with the illusion of more government benefits and wins. Republicans call him out on it and get lambasted. Foreign affairs, especially after the failure to establish a stable Iraq, rank pretty low on the Americans' priority scale. They are essential to the Israeli identity.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024