Author Topic: Paul Ryan: Obama helped Netanyahu win  (Read 443 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Paul Ryan: Obama helped Netanyahu win
« on: March 18, 2015, 04:57:45 pm »
http://thehill.com/policy/international/236092-paul-ryan-obama-helped-netanyahu-win

By Jesse Byrnes - 03/18/15 11:28 AM EDT
Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) suggested Wednesday that President Obama helped Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu secure a big reelection win.

"I actually think the Obama administration helped contribute to his victory because of the way they treated him," Ryan said on "Fox & Friends."
"It helped him consolidate his coalition so that he could have this landslide victory, and I'm pleased to see it happen," Ryan added.

Netanyahu claimed victory early Wednesday after his Likud party surged past main rival Zionist Union and captured 30 of 120 seats in the parliament, according to multiple reports.

Netanyahu said he would call potential partners to immediately to form a coalition government.

White House political strategist David Simas congratulated "the Israeli people" in an interview early Wednesday on CNN's "New Day."

"As you know, now the hard work of coalition building begins. Sometimes that takes a couple of weeks, and we're going to give space to the formation of that coalition government, and we're not going to weigh in one way or another, except to say that the United States and Israel have an historic and close relationship, and that will continue going forward," Simas said.

The White House has so far not congratulated Netanyahu.

Friction between the White House and Netanyahu has apparently escalated in recent months as the Obama administration pushes to secure a deal on Iran's nuclear program, which faces a preliminary self-imposed deadline March 31. Both sides have publicly taken digs at each other over the issue.

Netanyahu, who trailed in polls leading into Tuesday's voting, sought to shore up support among conservative voters by announcing on the eve of the election that he would not allow a Palestinian state to be set up under his watch in office.

"Tightness of exits in Israel suggests Bibi's shameful eleventh hour demagoguery may have swayed enough votes to save him. But at what cost?" David Axelrod, Obama's former senior adviser, said in a tweet.

Asked about Axelrod's remark, Ryan told Fox, "It's unfortunate. We shouldn't meddle in such things."

"But having said all that, I'm very pleased to see him reelected," Ryan said, referring to Netanyahu.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline evadR

Re: Paul Ryan: Obama helped Netanyahu win
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 05:03:31 pm »
First of all, I'm tickled that Bibi won.

Second, I guess I don't understand the workings of the Parliamentary system.  How is capturing 30 seats out of 120 a "landslide" victory?
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 05:12:10 pm »
First of all, I'm tickled that Bibi won.

Second, I guess I don't understand the workings of the Parliamentary system.  How is capturing 30 seats out of 120 a "landslide" victory?

It's like a primary, where getting the most votes out of 6 candidates is a victory.

He then puts a coalition government together consisting of his party plus those to the right to form a majority.

Think Boehner has problems?

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline olde north church

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 05:42:43 pm »
Even if he didn't help, I hope he thinks he did.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.