Author Topic: President Ted Cruz?  (Read 15865 times)

Offline evadR

Re: President Ted Cruz?
« Reply #100 on: March 16, 2015, 06:23:47 pm »
OKIE..since we are no longer allowed to use RINO I will simply refer to RINOs as PWCTRBALL.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2015, 06:42:14 pm »
OKIE..since we are no longer allowed to use RINO I will simply refer to RINOs as PWCTRBALL.

I am not forbidding it...if that was the case I would use the censor control...I am asking politely that people refrain from using it especially when referring to another poster.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2015, 07:07:43 pm »
Indeed, lando.  (And getting much shorter.......... especially for those of us on the other side of medicare enrollment.  ^-^ ).

We ARE on the same side here.

I find myself in the middle of this debate quite often because I am very conservative, but also loyally Republican.  That makes me, and people like me, the object of insults from both sides.  I can't count the number of times I was called a "RINO" on Tos.  And I guarantee I had a longer history and more fidelity to conservatism than any of those hurling it at me.  The truth didn't matter to them.  It's both easy and ugly to throw that term around.

But at the same time, I have seen the words "SoCons" are manipulative, dishonest, stupid, and want everyone to follow their narrow moral dictates.  And I AM a social conservative.  For me, those kinds of comments (coming frequently from some here) are equally insulting, and equally wrong.

I guess I should repeat what I said earlier............ I don't GET it.  It's not that I never cross the line and say something I shouldn't say, but the regular beating up of fellow foxhole occupants makes no sense to me.
I  plead guilty to using terms in a manner intended to be derogatory. It has become the way we make distinctions, in this high speed, anonymous forum setting.

We did NOT do this sort of thing when Reagan was running. The subgroups did exist, but they weren't so ignorantly nasty with each other. And we won, then.

We should get back to that mentality. I don't happen to be a diehard social conservative, but I can live with them as far as being on the same side of politics.

When I write "true conservative" or "real conservative@" in intend it to be sarcasm, to illustrate the narrowing definition, that almost guarantees a shrinking voter pool, and losing.

I am willing to stop that sort of thing, providing we agree overall on this matter.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2015, 07:28:39 pm »
I am willing to stop that sort of thing, providing we agree overall on this matter.

...a good first step...come on people we can all agree on this...
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2015, 07:55:57 pm »
...a good first step...come on people we can all agree on this...

I'd be willing to substitute "sphincter" for RINO and GOPe if that is okay with everyone.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #105 on: March 16, 2015, 07:57:58 pm »
I'd be willing to substitute "sphincter" for RINO and GOPe if that is okay with everyone.

:silly:

I'm on board with that.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #106 on: March 16, 2015, 08:09:01 pm »

:chairbang:
Support the USO

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #107 on: March 16, 2015, 08:32:51 pm »
The acronym "RINO" is absolutely meaningless.  If everyone is a RINO except those who believe what you do, there is no such thing.

And it has absolutely nothing to do with being "PC."

It has to do with its being a worthless insult.

I don't think this has ever happened before but I VEHEMENTLY disagree! Especially with the "Nothing to do with PC part"!

In fact, it has EVERYTHING to do with PC!

This is Nancy's site and if that is what she wants then I'm DEFINITELY in the wrong place! I will not EVER submit to the dictates of Political Correctness here or anywhere else!

Hope you guys enjoy your echo chamber!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 08:38:14 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #108 on: March 16, 2015, 08:55:30 pm »

How will encouraging civility towards people that disagree with you lead to an echo chamber? It seems to me that it'd have the opposite effect. I find it amazing that a grown man can't handle the idea of having to construct arguments without insulting people.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 09:02:29 pm by Dexter »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline musiclady

« Reply #109 on: March 16, 2015, 09:57:44 pm »
I don't think this has ever happened before but I VEHEMENTLY disagree! Especially with the "Nothing to do with PC part"!

In fact, it has EVERYTHING to do with PC!

This is Nancy's site and if that is what she wants then I'm DEFINITELY in the wrong place! I will not EVER submit to the dictates of Political Correctness here or anywhere else!

Avoiding name-calling has nothing to do with creating an "echo chamber."

We ALL have unique perspectives on things, and ALL agree that the current Democrat party is toxic to America, and may destroy us altogether.  All we're talking about is discussing our many differences as to how to go about saving America with civility.

I'm struggling with how you think being polite to fellow conservatives has anything to do with being "PC."

Please explain it to me.

Thanks.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2015, 09:59:38 pm »
I  plead guilty to using terms in a manner intended to be derogatory. It has become the way we make distinctions, in this high speed, anonymous forum setting.

We did NOT do this sort of thing when Reagan was running. The subgroups did exist, but they weren't so ignorantly nasty with each other. And we won, then.

We should get back to that mentality. I don't happen to be a diehard social conservative, but I can live with them as far as being on the same side of politics.

When I write "true conservative" or "real conservative@" in intend it to be sarcasm, to illustrate the narrowing definition, that almost guarantees a shrinking voter pool, and losing.

I appreciate this post, truth_seeker.

Thank you!

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #111 on: March 16, 2015, 10:20:43 pm »
Avoiding name-calling has nothing to do with creating an "echo chamber."

We ALL have unique perspectives on things, and ALL agree that the current Democrat party is toxic to America, and may destroy us altogether.  All we're talking about is discussing our many differences as to how to go about saving America with civility.

I'm struggling with how you think being polite to fellow conservatives has anything to do with being "PC."

Please explain it to me.

Thanks.

Being polite and banning words are very different things!

I will NOT submit!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #112 on: March 16, 2015, 10:26:01 pm »

I will NOT submit!

I haven't seen anyone suggest that the words be 'banned.'  In fact I've seen the opposite.

mystery is just requesting that we not use them against each other.

The rest of us have just stated our opinions as to what they mean or don't mean.

I've stated my view that the term RINO is meaningless because of its overuse and abuse.  I completely believe that.

And I still see no explanation as to why any of this has to do with being PC.

It doesn't.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #113 on: March 16, 2015, 10:30:37 pm »

I will NOT submit!

Nobody wants to ban words, but sometimes being polite means choosing your words carefully.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 10:31:07 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline evadR

« Reply #114 on: March 16, 2015, 10:38:54 pm »
The term RINO is almost always used in a political sense.  If it's "overused" it's mainly because there are so many pathetic republicans that the shoe fits...and if there's an insult associated with it, so much the better.  They deserve it.

I have not and will not use it to refer to a fellow poster.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #115 on: March 16, 2015, 10:42:39 pm »
I've only banned a couple of words here and you can probably guess what they are...

As I have said..I only request that members do not use these two words as a slur to other members here..they feel insulted...I in turn request the same courtesy when they disparage conservatives and Tea Party members....I don't see why we all can't agree on that!
Support the USO

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2015, 10:43:49 pm »
I haven't seen anyone suggest that the words be 'banned.'  In fact I've seen the opposite.

mystery is just requesting that we not use them against each other.

The rest of us have just stated our opinions as to what they mean or don't mean.

I've stated my view that the term RINO is meaningless because of its overuse and abuse.  I completely believe that.

And I still see no explanation as to why any of this has to do with being PC.

It doesn't.

Well I respectfully but vehemently disagree with your finding. The acronym RINO has a very specific meaning and everyone here knows what it is. I will continue to use it and ANY other anytime I think them to be appropriate or until I'm requested to leave.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 10:58:22 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Dexter

« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2015, 10:45:36 pm »
I don't see why we all can't agree on that!

Some people actually enjoy uninhibited and volatile internet slug fests.
-Socrates

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #118 on: March 16, 2015, 10:48:46 pm »
Nobody wants to ban words, but sometimes being polite means choosing your words carefully.

That's good because doing so would be the very definition of PC IMHO.

What makes you think I don't always carefully chose my words?

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Dexter

« Reply #119 on: March 16, 2015, 10:52:44 pm »
What makes you think I don't always carefully chose my words?

What I said was not necessarily directed at you.
-Socrates

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #120 on: March 16, 2015, 10:55:34 pm »
What I said was not necessarily directed at you.

Regardless of who it was directed at the question still applies.n

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Dexter

« Reply #121 on: March 16, 2015, 11:10:31 pm »
Regardless of who it was directed at the question still applies.n

The question does not apply because the statement was not directed at you. Nothing makes me think you don't choose what you say carefully.
-Socrates

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #122 on: March 16, 2015, 11:16:11 pm »
The question does not apply because the statement was not directed at you. Nothing makes me think you don't choose what you say carefully.

Well then what makes you think any other poster doesn't choose his words carefully?

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Dexter

« Reply #123 on: March 16, 2015, 11:34:56 pm »
Well then what makes you think any other poster doesn't choose his words carefully?

I'm sure everybody does their best to choose their words carefully, but that doesn't mean they're being conscious of whether or not they're being polite. I was simply saying that being polite requires thoughtful and careful word choice. If the goal of an offensive poster was to be polite their lack of careful word choice is made obvious by how offensive their post is.
-Socrates

Offline libertybele

« Reply #124 on: March 16, 2015, 11:39:29 pm »
Wow.  I would like to make myself perfectly clear; I'm going to try anyways.  I use the term GOPe to mean the "GOP establishment" or RINO - Republican in name only.  It is in no way meant derogatorily but rather a means to differentiate between what I consider a conservative and those Republicans who vote and side with Democrats. I'm really quite surprised at the fervor this has caused.  I belong to several forums and this has not been an issue since it has been seen as a way to describe members of the Republican party.  It is no secret that the Republican party is divided; it's not a newsflash and it's been long reported by the MSM.  Why some feel it is offensive is beyond me.  Though I have never technically joined the TEA party, I like the candidates and I do tend to side with their constitutional conservatism.  With that being said, you wouldn't believe some of the derogatory names I have been called.  Do I take offense?  No.  I am who I am, I believe in what I believe in, and I sure as hell don't feel I have to compromise on my beliefs, principals, morals nor integrity to please others to be politically correct.

Peace.   :patriot:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.