Author Topic: Univision fires host for comparing Michelle Obama to 'Planet of the Apes'  (Read 2962 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/235548-univision-fires-host-for-comparing-michelle-obama-planet-of-the-apes

March 12, 2015, 03:57 pm
Univision fires host for comparing Michelle Obama to 'Planet of the Apes'
By Jesse Byrnes

Univision has fired Emmy-winning talk show host Rodner Figueroa for saying first lady Michelle Obama looked like a cast member of "Planet of the Apes."

"Yesterday during our entertainment program 'El Gordo y La Flaca' Rodner Figueroa made comments regarding First Lady Michelle Obama that were completely reprehensible and in no way reflect Univision’s values or views," the network said in a statement Thursday.
"As a result, Mr. Figueroa was immediately terminated," it added.

Figueroa, a fashion commentator who hosted multiple Univision programs, said during a Wednesday segment that Obama looked like an actor from the film while her image flashed on the screen.

The comment reportedly came during a segment about the work of makeup artist Paolo Ballesteros, whose work appeared alongside Obama's image when Figueroa made the remark.

Another host, Raul de Molina, quickly said that Obama was beautiful, according to Fox News Latino, which reported that Figueroa's comment was edited from the show's version that played on the West Coast.

Figueroa claimed in an open letter addressed to Michelle Obama on Thursday that he was verbally notified of his firing due to a complaint from the White House.

The first lady's office declined to comment to CNN, which translated the letter. A Univision executive acknowledged it reached out to the White House on Thursday morning with its public statement but denied the White House had contacted the network to complain.

Figueroa said Thursday his comments were meant to criticize the unflattering work of Obama's makeup artist.

"The full video clip in context shows that," said Figeurosa, who invoked his own background coming from a biracial Latino family to say he's "no racist." He mentioned in his letter being the first openly gay host on Spanish-language TV.

Still, he said there was "no excuse" for his comments "that could be interpreted as offensive or racist during these volatile times we're living in."

"I openly voted twice for your husband, Barack Obama, because I consider him a great man who respects minorities like me in this country," he said in the open letter.

— Updated at 6:15 p.m.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
I don't care how much money you have....your status...

When somebody says that and it becomes viral, it's got to hurt immensely.     :laugh:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 11:02:15 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline GourmetDan

"I openly voted twice for your husband, Barack Obama, because I consider him a great man who respects minorities like me in this country," he said in the open letter.

The best line in the whole joke...    :silly:

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Another host, Raul de Molina, quickly said that Obama was beautiful

If they fired one guy for saying what he said, they should have committed this one for psychiatric evaluation.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
For the record...

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline evadR

LOL...
perfect.
I think it was a compliment.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline Mrs. libsrevil

"Univision fires host for comparing Michelle Obama to 'Planet of the Apes'"

Where's the insult...oh, I get it he was insulting actual apes.  :whistle:

Offline aligncare

For the record...

Much better look on right. In fact, I'd say positively glowing. Wouldn't you?

Online mountaineer

For the record...

The one on the right looks a bit like Barbara Boxer.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The one on the right looks a bit like Barbara Boxer.

:beer:

I was thinkin it! Just wasn't gonna say it!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
The guy didn't get the memo. According to the hoyt-toyti Leftist PC crowd in America, Michelle is the epitome of grace and elegance. In their alternate universe, Michelle is the most beautiful and sophisticated first lady since Jackie-O.

That's the crap that they are pushing anyway. Even though, it is not working. I don't care what Vogue, and People, try to say about Michelle, the dude is just plain ugly. There is no way around it. I'm not talking about the dude's race, I am talking about being decent looking and being fugly. Michelle is fugly and that is all there is to say. You can gold plate a turd, and it is still a turd.

But anyway, you are never suppose to contradict the narrative with truth. Liberals cannot tolerate any, "emperor has no clothes" statements because they live in a made up reality which is as fragile as a soap bubble. 
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Lando Lincoln

Sorry, what he said was out of bounds. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

rangerrebew

TV Host Fired For Saying Michelle Obama Looks Like An Ape

By Brian Anderson, March 12, 2015.

I guess my headline is kind of deceptive. When I say “TV host” what I really mean is someone from Univision, the Spanish-language cable network. In any case someone you’ve never heard of before was fired from a show you don’t watch because he compared First Lady Michelle Obama to an ape.

The Huffington Post reports on what they call a terrible act of racism:

Univision host Rodner Figueroa was fired Wednesday after comparing first lady Michelle Obama’s appearance to that of someone from the cast of the “Planet of the Apes.”

So far it doesn’t look good for Figueroa. Maybe it was taken out of context:

Figueroa’s comment came while talking about make-up artist Paolo Ballesteros’ viral undertaking of transforming himself into female celebrities. The fashionista, known for his critical “Fashion Police”-style remarks, analyzed Ballesteros’ transformation for Michelle Obama with an original photo of the first lady beside it.

“Mind you, you know that Michelle Obama looks like she’s part of the cast of “Planet of the Apes,” the film,” Figueroa said.

Nope, even in context, this is still pretty bad. Hey, at least there was some comedy to come out of this:

Host Raúl de Molina attempted to counter the comment saying he thought Obama was very attractive.

Come on now. Very attractive? Has de Molina ever seen a picture of Michelle Obama?

I believe in finding the best in people so I think it’s possible that Figueroa wasn’t trying to be racist. Perhaps he was just trying to point out that the First Lady is profoundly ugly. Like saying Sarah Jessica Parker looks like a horse or Sean Penn looks like a weasel. If Figueroa said Michelle looks like she’s from the cast of Frankenstein, this would be a non-issue.

Further more, the cast of Planet of the Apes included humans. Maybe Figueroa was saying Michelle Obama looks like human sexpot Nova, played by actress Linda Harrison, in which case it is a compliment. Even if he was suggesting the First Lady looked like Charlton Heston that could be taken in a number of ways: manly, buff, supports the 2nd Amendment. Okay, he wasn’t making that comparison.

Ultimately, I think Figueroa made a racially insensitive comment but likely didn’t intend it to be. In this day and age, intent means nothing. You compare the First Lady to an ape and you get fired. There’s no room for an excuse or an apology.

The only question left is: how much will Al Sharpton extort from Univision? When Sony executives got caught sending e-mails suggesting that President Obama like movies starring black people, Big Al cashed in. Imagine what saying the First Lady is an ape is worth.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 11:49:43 am by rangerrebew »

Offline GourmetDan

The funniest part of the whole thing is that it was a liberal Demonrat minority Obama-voter that did it.

Now where's me an evil Republican that I can blame it on...    :silly:

« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 01:13:44 pm by GourmetDan »
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Online mountaineer

Don't say she looks like an ape, just say she looks like an idiot and should be ashamed of herself.

Sasha and Malia - look away now! Michelle Obama shows off some embarrassing mum dance moves on the Ellen show
* Michelle Obama showed off her dance moves during a TV appearance
* The 51-year-old pulled shapes that wouldn't have shamed Rita Ora
* Had appeared on Ellen to promote her 'Let's Move!' initiative
* Will repeat the performance during annual Easter Egg Roll on 5th April
* Tradition dates back to 1878 and sees local children visit White House

By Ruth Styles for MailOnline
Published: 03:51 EST, 13 March 2015  | Updated: 08:49 EST, 13 March 2015

Her arm thrust out and pouting like a rapper, this is the moment that Michelle Obama showed off her dance moves during a toe-curling appearance on The Ellen DeGeneres Show.

Challenged to show off her dance moves by Ms Degeneres, Mrs Obama gamely obliged and went on to pull shapes that wouldn't have shamed Rita Ora.

Unfortunately for daughters Sasha and Malia, the appearance on Ellen, which airs on the 16th March, isn't the end of the 51-year-old's dancing ambitions. ...
Rest of story, video and more photos at Daily Mail
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Lando Lincoln

The funniest part of the whole thing is that it was a liberal Demonrat minority Obama-voter that did it.

Yes, that is rich.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline musiclady

Sorry, what he said was out of bounds.

I agree.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.