Author Topic: Kerry on Defeating ISIS: ‘We Have the Capacity,’ But ‘We’re Not Going To Do It’  (Read 1133 times)

Offline flowers

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/brittany-m-hughes/kerry-defeating-isis-we-have-capacity-we-re-not-going-do-it

CNSNews.com) – Secretary of State John Kerry told members of Congress Wednesday that “we have the capacity” to “knock out ISIL,” but “we’re not going to get suckered into that.”

“The enduring transformation that has to take place here is not going to take place if the United States just comes in and were to knock out ISIL and that’s it, go away. Not gonna happen,” Kerry said during a hearing before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee on a hearing about the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, also known as ISIS or ISIL.

“We could do that, actually. We have that capacity, but we’re not asking to do that, nor are they [other Middle Eastern countries] asking us to do that, because I think they understand that the implications of that would be actually to aid in the recruitment to create a bigger problem than we face today,” he continued.

Did I miss something or was I dreaming it? Isn't the administration asking for war powers to fight ISIS? Didn't they ask congress for it a few weeks ago?

Offline NavyCanDo

Read in full context, "We are not going to try to destroy ISIS, because ISIS will only grow bigger if we do destroy them".

If Spock were still with us, he would raise an eyebrow and say, "That's not logical".
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline GourmetDan

Apparently the plan is to keep poking them with a sharp stick until the whole world is involved...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Online mountaineer

We have the capacity, but Obama lacks the will.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Actually, I agree with Kerry that we ought not take them out.  But not because they would grow bigger.  The reason we should not take them out is they are Iran's most vicious enemy, and Iranian nuclear weapons are a bigger existential threat to the USA right now than ISIS, for all of its bluster.

I say leave them where they are, help defend the Kurds, Jordanians and any of our other allies (excluding Iraq, which is now an arm of Iran) they threaten, and force them to expand by attacking Syria and Iran.  Once both sides have exhausted their resources, then go in with a multinational force.  Do a Dresden on their asses and make the people sick of war, then carve up what is left along sectarian lines, forcing the people to live under marshal law until they are ready to responsibly govern themselves.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
It is clear that Obama is sympathetic to the goals of Iran and ISIS.
His Muslim roots are showing.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline flowers

Kerry says they aren't going to defeat isis yet the regime is asking for war powers to do so. I wonder what or who those war powers will be used against since kerry said no way they will do it towards isis?

Offline GourmetDan

I wonder what or who those war powers will be used against since kerry said no way they will do it towards isis?

They asked for 'worldwide' authority.  Do you 'worldwide' might include the U.S.?

Nobody would stop Bammy if he deployed the U.S. Military against us anyway...   :whistle:

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline flowers

They asked for 'worldwide' authority.  Do you 'worldwide' might include the U.S.?

Nobody would stop Bammy if he deployed the U.S. Military against us anyway...   :whistle:
nobody would   :smokin: