Author Topic: GOP leaders to skip Selma event  (Read 2819 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP leaders to skip Selma event
« on: March 05, 2015, 11:25:41 pm »
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/03/gop-leaders-to-skip-selma-event-115801.html?cmpid=sf

GOP leaders to skip Selma event
‘They’ve lost an opportunity to show the American people that they care,’ one black lawmaker says.
By Anna Palmer and Lauren French
3/5/15 5:20 PM EST
Updated 3/5/15 5:51 PM EST

Scores of U.S. lawmakers are converging on tiny Selma, Alabama, for a large commemoration of a civil rights anniversary. But their ranks don’t include a single member of House Republican leadership — a point that isn’t lost on congressional black leaders.

None of the top leaders — House Speaker John Boehner, Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy or Majority Whip Steve Scalise, who was once thought likely to attend to atone for reports that he once spoke before a white supremacist group — will be in Selma for the three-day event that commemorates the 1965 march and the violence that protesters faced at the hands of white police officers. A number of rank-and-file Republicans have been aggressively lobbying their colleagues to attend, and several black lawmakers concurred.

“It is very disappointing that not a single Republican leader sees the value in participating in this 50th commemoration of the signing of the Voting Rights Act. I had hoped that some of the leadership would attend, but apparently none of them will,” said Congressional Black Caucus Chairman G.K. Butterfield. “The Republicans always talk about trying to change their brand and be more appealing to minority folks and be in touch with the interests of African-Americans. This is very disappointing.”

Former CBC Chair Marsha Fudge (D-Ohio) agreed.

“Not only do they have an opportunity to participate in something that is historic in this country, but certainly they’ve lost an opportunity to show the American people that they care,” she said. “Their loss.”

Black leaders in Congress pressured Scalise to attend the Faith and Politics Institute event after news reports revealed that the Louisiana Republican gave a speech to a group connected with legendary Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke when Scalise was still serving in the state Legislature. Scalise said late last month that a scheduling conflict would keep him from Selma this year but that he hoped to attend in 2016.

McCarthy has attended in the past but won’t make the trip this year. Senate Majority Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) will also miss the event.
Still, a number of rank-and-file Republicans are attending. Sen. Tim Scott, a South Carolina Republican, is a co-sponsor of the event along with Rep. Martha Roby of Alabama. Scott is the first African-American Republican elected from the South since the end of Reconstruction.

Roby’s office said Thursday 23 Republican House and Senate members are registered to attend the pilgrimage.

Roby and Scott pressed a number of their GOP colleagues to attend the event in Alabama, which is expected to draw more than 100 members of Congress.

Georgia Rep. John Lewis, who participated in the 1965 march alongside Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, said he was disappointed that House Republican leaders wouldn’t make the trip. But Lewis said he looked forward to hearing from former President George W. Bush, who is set to speak Saturday. President Barack Obama is also scheduled to attend the ceremonies on Saturday.

“I wish we had someone in the [Republican] leadership was going,” Lewis said. “President Bush is going to be there, but I think it would have been fitting and appropriate for them to make a trip.”

Lawmakers awarded the Congressional Gold Medal to the 1965 marchers on Monday, ahead of the 50th anniversary event.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline evadR

Re: GOP leaders to skip Selma event
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 11:32:06 pm »
Racist
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline evadR

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 11:35:31 pm »
Lemme get this straight.  You son-a-biches have done everything you can to destroy this nation and now we're supposed to recognize you in some kind of racist event.

No fn thanks.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 12:38:38 am »

You mean the Congressional White Caucus isn't going to show up?

Wow... das racis...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 12:48:30 am »
...hmmm .... it's ok to "skip out" on the speech given by Netanyahu but not on Selma. I think 'dat duh white folk just dislikes dem 'cause day black.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 12:59:18 am »
...hmmm .... it's ok to "skip out" on the speech given by Netanyahu but not on Selma. I think 'dat duh white folk just dislikes dem 'cause day black.
That was precisely my thought. This whole story is retribution for the heat they took for skipping out on Bibi.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 01:54:20 am »
Of course they should have sent a delegation..who is deciding these things..they just open themselves up for ridicule by making these lame brained decisions....
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 01:55:44 am »
Of course they should have sent a delegation..who is deciding these things..they just open themselves up for ridicule by making these lame brained decisions....

They must be stoopid.  No other reason comes to mind...   /s    :silly:

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 02:25:51 am »
Republicans ought to have attended if for no other reason than to remind Democrats about the far greater percentage of Republicans who voted for the bill than did Democrats.

Jul 2, 1964

House Vote #182

88th Congress

Democrats     Yea   155 (61.5%)  Nay  95 (37.7%)  Present 2 (0.8%)
Republicans    Yea   139 (78.1%)  Nay  37 (20.8%)  Present 2 (1.1%)
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 02:53:03 am »
[[ But their ranks don’t include a single member of House Republican leadership — a point that isn’t lost on congressional black leaders. ]]

Smart move.
Going would be a waste of the Republicans' time, money, and effort.

Going there wouldn't win them any black votes.

Staying away won't lose any black votes, either.

Offline Carling

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 03:38:29 am »
We really are the party of stupid.  The Selma march, crappy movie aside, deserves to be recognized.

Dumb decision.  Send the Whip and the Majority Leader.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline evadR

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 03:48:32 am »
[[ But their ranks don’t include a single member of House Republican leadership — a point that isn’t lost on congressional black leaders. ]]

Smart move.
Going would be a waste of the Republicans' time, money, and effort.

Going there wouldn't win them any black votes.

Staying away won't lose any black votes, either.
...and, the most important thing of all.
Going there would be hypocritical, counterproductive and racist.
The wrong thing to do.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 09:45:06 pm »
Well, it appears the lack of Republicans might not be totally true:

Tomorrow marks the 50th anniversary of the Selma-to-Montgomery March.
I just arrived in Selma with several of my colleagues. We are proud to join together to commemorate this historic event, which forever changed our country.
—Rep. Tom Reed (R-23NY)

That's at least one Republican. Not sure if there are any others.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2015, 04:16:26 am »
I think they all should have gone!!! 

I had rather hear the media slamming them for going, rather than not going!

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Oceander

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 04:16:52 am »
I think they all should have gone!!! 

I had rather hear the media slamming them for going, rather than not going!

Yup.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 07:45:54 am »
We really are the party of stupid.  The Selma march, crappy movie aside, deserves to be recognized.

Dumb decision.  Send the Whip and the Majority Leader.

http://www.msnbc.com/politicsnation/cantor-commemorates-selma-march-how-does

Last time we sent Majority Whip Cantor, but the Tea Party got rid of him because he wasn't a real conservative.  Is that "stupid?", or suicidal?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.  -  Will Rogers

Good politics is the same.  I don't need the blacks to start voting GOP (but they should) I need the blacks to stop working so hard to elect rats.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 07:53:56 am by Once-Ler »