Author Topic: Attorney General threatens to DISMANTLE Ferguson Police Department if they don't reform in wake of damning report revealing widespread racism  (Read 1132 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2983455/Holder-says-break-Ferguson-police-necessary.html

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder has threatened to dismantle Ferguson's police department to force through reforms after a damning report found widespread racism in the force.

Holder told reporters that the Justice Department is 'prepared to use all the power that we have' to push through change in the beleaguered Missouri force, which was castigated nationwide over the killing of Michael Brown.

The threat follows the publication of a report which showed officers swapping racist emails, as well as finding that 93 per cent of all arrests in the town, and most uses of excessive force were directed at the African American population.

President Barack Obama has called the policing in Ferguson 'broken and racially biased' which requires a 'fix' from the federal government.

Holder, speaking today in Maryland in front of Air Force One, told reporters that Justice Department plans include 'everything from working with them to coming up with an entirely new structure'.

When asked if that meant dismantling the force and starting over, he said: 'If that's what's necessary, we're prepared to do that.'

Next up obamalaw.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Oceander

The police department isn't exactly a church choir.  An op-ed in the WSJ characterized the department as being "entrepreneurial" insofar as it appears to use violations and the like to raise money for the city.

Offline alicewonders

The police department isn't exactly a church choir.  An op-ed in the WSJ characterized the department as being "entrepreneurial" insofar as it appears to use violations and the like to raise money for the city.

Sorry to say, but I think a LOT of police departments operate the same way.  I have always thought so of our local agencies.  I see a lot more drivers pulled over and ticketed - at the end of the month and during holidays.  It's a pattern I have noticed for years.  Roadblocks at Christmas shopping time, when people have money set aside for shopping - elicit lots of tickets and lots of revenue.

I thought that is how they all operated. 

Oceander

Sorry to say, but I think a LOT of police departments operate the same way.  I have always thought so of our local agencies.  I see a lot more drivers pulled over and ticketed - at the end of the month and during holidays.  It's a pattern I have noticed for years.  Roadblocks at Christmas shopping time, when people have money set aside for shopping - elicit lots of tickets and lots of revenue.

I thought that is how they all operated. 

That's pretty sad.  It simply demonstrates that most local police departments are irretrievably corrupt, that the other parts of local government are powerless to stop it (even if they're not actively corrupt themselves), and that it will necessarily take outsiders like the DOJ to clean them up.

Offline alicewonders

That's pretty sad.  It simply demonstrates that most local police departments are irretrievably corrupt, that the other parts of local government are powerless to stop it (even if they're not actively corrupt themselves), and that it will necessarily take outsiders like the DOJ to clean them up.

Do you really think the DOJ has clean hands?  They don't want to clean it up - they want to clean up!  THEY want to control everything - including the revenue!

If anything, the take-away is that most all government entities become corrupt over time.

Offline flowers

Do you really think the DOJ has clean hands?  They don't want to clean it up - they want to clean up!  THEY want to control everything - including the revenue!

If anything, the take-away is that most all government entities become corrupt over time.
They will also make sure whitey always gets what he deserves. Blacks will skate on crimes. Whites will not. They will be guilty of being white on a sunny day.  :smokin:

Oceander

Now you understand why the endemic corruption at the local level is so depressing.  The only thing we can do to try and cure it is to apply the chemotherapy of the DOJ; recalling, of course, that chemotherapy is poison that only works because it kills cancer just slightly faster than it kills the rest of the body.

Offline GourmetDan

There... just a little correction...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline kevindavis007

I don't think they have the authority to do so...
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline GourmetDan

I don't think they have the authority to do so...

President Obama said “we’ve expanded my authorities under executive action, and prosecutorial discretion” during a townhall meeting on Wednesday...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan