Author Topic: Steve King: 'I Don't Know' If It Was a Mistake for GOP Leaders to Skip Selma  (Read 617 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=628850

Newsmax
Steve King: 'I Don't Know' If It Was a Mistake for GOP Leaders to Skip Selma
Saturday, March 7, 2015 04:29 PM

By: Arit John

Representative Steve King declined to say whether it was a mistake for leading Republicans to skip Saturday’s commemoration of the Selma march, but said that “cultural friction” lingers in the country.

“I don’t know if it’s a mistake, but there is still that bit of cultural friction that’s there,” the Iowa Republican said Saturday during an interview with Bloomberg Politics’ Mark Halperin at the Iowa Agricultural Summit in Des Moines. He suggested that the friction makes some people feel unwelcome in certain situtations.

Only one member of the GOP leadership team, House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, is in Alabama to mark the 50th anniversary of the march and violence on the Edmund Pettus Bridge. King cited his own relationship to the Congressional Black Caucus as an example of continuing divisions.

“I mean, if I walk into the Congressional Black Caucus—which I have done by mistake, by the way—and I look around there and, I have friends in there and people I like, but I also know that I’m not welcome in the Congressional Black Caucus.” 

Asked why not, he replied, “Well, because I’m not an African American and that’s really, that’s it.”

As for the legacy of Selma, and what Americans should reflect on today, King said that the country should be proud that, despite problems today, the country peacefully transitioned from “segregation then, to integration now.”

“Yes, there was blood in Selma, and there was blood in other places, but compared to transformations in other countries, it was comparatively bloodless,” King said. “An amazing thing happened to the American civilization because of the civil rights demonstrations of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., who always kept the spirit of peaceful demonstration and the core of our Christian faith at the front of our demonstrations.”

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

Idiots.  Yes, it was a mistake.  As big a mistake (maybe bigger) - and as childish - as those democrats who boycotted Netanyahu's speech.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Idiots.  Yes, it was a mistake.  As big a mistake (maybe bigger) - and as childish - as those democrats who boycotted Netanyahu's speech.
The record by Republicans these days is unforced error, after unforced error.

Do they have any daily talking points? Any solid advisors? Or is it the blind leading the blind, into really dumb optics?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

I would like to know who is giving advise or making these decisions..imbeciles all of them!!!!...at least McCarthy had the sense to go...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
I would like to know who is giving advise or making these decisions..imbeciles all of them!!!!...at least McCarthy had the sense to go...

Honestly, I think it's the Democrats that are advising them!   :thud:

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Oceander

The record by Republicans these days is unforced error, after unforced error.

Do they have any daily talking points? Any solid advisors? Or is it the blind leading the blind, into really dumb optics?

Now you're just being unfair to blind people.