Author Topic: The terrible, horrible, no good start for the Republicans  (Read 15998 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The terrible, horrible, no good start for the Republicans
« on: March 03, 2015, 01:37:59 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/news/234399-the-terrible-horrible-no-good-start-for-the-gop

By Scott Wong - 03/03/15 06:00 AM EST
The opening weeks of the 114th Congress have been nothing short of a disaster for Republicans, who declared upon taking control of both chambers last fall that the era of governing by crisis and fiscal cliffs was over.

Since their declaration, House GOP leaders have yanked several high-profile bills from the floor after rebellions from rank-and-file members.

Counting an emergency measure to keep the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) running through Friday, Congress has sent President Obama a total of only four bills, even as
Republicans promised to get off to a fast start this session.

The low point came Friday, when more than 50 conservative Republicans revolted against Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) and opposed a bill to fund the DHS.

It was a humiliating defeat for Boehner, who had to turn to Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) to bail him out with only hours to spare before a shutdown at the agency.

“The revolters effectively put Nancy Pelosi in charge of the House,” the right-leaning Wall Street Journal editorial board wrote Monday. It questioned whether the setback meant the end of legislating for the Republican-controlled Congress just more than halfway through “its first 100 days in office.”

“Republicans need to do some soul searching about the purpose of a Congressional majority, including whether they even want it,” the Journal wrote.

The GOP-led Congress has only seen two of its bills become law, a terrorism insurance measure and a veterans suicide prevention bill that were both left over from last year.

The fourth bill approved by the GOP Congress approves construction of the Keystone XL oil pipeline. Sending the bill to Obama represented a victory for Republicans, though it was largely overshadowed by the Homeland Security fight.

But Obama vetoed the Keystone measure, and Republicans don’t appear to have the votes to override him.

Instead of rallying behind a unified agenda, centrist and conservative Republicans now are engaged in open warfare with one another, bickering over the best strategy to push back against Obama’s executive actions on immigration.

Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes (R-Calif.), a close Boehner ally, ripped “phony conservative members who have no credible policy proposals and no political strategy to stop Obama’s lawlessness.” And former Homeland Security Committee Chairman Pete King (R-N.Y.) criticized conservative rebels as “self-righteous and delusional.”

Another centrist Republican, Rep. Charlie Dent (Pa.), even accused conservatives of using the “issue of terrorism” to “advance their very crass, political interests” of trying to oust Boehner from the Speaker’s chair.

In a brief interview, Rep. Justin Amash (R-Mich.), a Tea Party favorite, wouldn’t say whether conservatives are targeting Boehner, but he slammed GOP leaders for choosing to “negotiate with Democrats” rather than accept a plan by conservatives to continue fighting Obama’s immigration policies.

Rep. Tom Cole (R-Okla.), another close Boehner ally, said he understands conservative outrage over the president’s immigration actions but conceded that Republicans are powerless without a 60-vote, filibuster-proof majority in the Senate.

“I don’t mind having this fight here, but it’s not going to be resolved here,” Cole told The Hill. “We don’t have political strength to win in the end.”

In the November midterms, Republicans captured their largest majority in the House in more than 80 years. But they got off to a rocky start.

On Day One of what leaders dubbed the “New American Congress,” 25 conservatives rebelled and publicly voted against giving Boehner another two years as Speaker. While he eventually prevailed, the failed coup attempt was an embarrassing moment for the sitting Speaker and highlighted his vulnerabilities.

Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.), the party’s chief vote counter, has had his own share of embarrassments this Congress. On at least three occasions, GOP leaders have been forced to pull bills off the floor, because they lacked enough Republican votes to pass.

In January, female and centrist Republicans scuttled an anti-abortion measure over objections it was too restrictive when it came to exempting women who had been raped. That bill was supposed to pass on the same day as the annual Right to Life march in Washington, but Republicans had to take up a less controversial abortion bill instead.

Just a week later, Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) and his anti-immigration allies in the House forced leadership to shelve a border-security bill by Homeland Security Committee Chairman Michael McCaul (R-Texas), arguing it would do little to stop Obama’s initiatives shielding millions of immigrants living in the U.S. illegally from deportation.

Friday’s conservative revolt against Boehner’s proposal to fund the DHS for three weeks overshadowed another major failure by the whip team. That same day, leaders yanked legislation overhauling the No Child Left Behind Act, after outside conservative groups claimed the bill didn’t do enough to scale back Washington’s involvement in education policy.

Boehner has acknowledged that his party has had some “stumbles” coming out of the gates. Asked about the latest setback over DHS funding, the Speaker replied that the House of Representatives is a “rambunctious place.”

“We have 435 members,” Boehner said Sunday on CBS’s “Face the Nation.” “A lot of members have a lot of different ideas about what we should and shouldn’t be doing.”

The GOP’s whip operation has had to contend with other distractions as well. Scalise is still dealing with fallout from revelations that he spoke to a white supremacist group when he was a state lawmaker in 2002. He was asked again about the scandal Sunday during an appearance on Fox News.

And a senior member of his whip team, Rep. Aaron Schock (R-Ill.), is under fire after a series of stories revealed he billed taxpayers and campaign donors tens of thousands of dollars for private flights, concert tickets and extravagant, “Downton Abbey”-style decorations for his congressional office.

Over the weekend, the Chicago Sun-Times reported Schock, once a GOP rising star, had used taxpayer money to charter a flight to a Chicago Bears game in the fall.

As for the current impasse, some Republicans are openly fretting that the funding fight is doing untold damage to the party ahead of 2016.

“The Democrats have got to remember they got fired for a reason. We’ve got to remember we weren’t hired because of our value set. We were hired because they got fired,” said Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), who is eyeing a potential White House bid. “2015 is about us. There’s nobody to blame but us, when it comes to the appropriations process.

“If we self-inflict on the budget and the appropriations process, and we can’t get the government managed, well then, I think we’re in trouble.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online libertybele

Re: The terrible, horrible, no good start for the Republicans
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 06:40:08 pm »
Unless the GOPe gets their crap together soon, I don't see them retaining the majority.

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 07:04:43 pm »
No amount of real conservative@ bellicosity, threats, wishful thinking  can overcome the Constitutional requirement for a 2/3 vote to override a Constitutional Presidential veto.

Replacing Boehner, McConnell and shouting louder, and making bolder threats won't change the Constitution, so often mentioned by them.

The other time tested method of governing, has been negotiations, compromises, etc. Reagan compromised often. 

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 07:10:07 pm »
The other time tested method of governing, has been negotiations, compromises, etc. Reagan compromised often. 

And where has it led us? Too far down the road to progressivism. We cannot afford, as a country, to continue to give the left even more when we've already given them so much. The time for compromise is over.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Longiron

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 07:25:33 pm »
No amount of real conservative@ bellicosity, threats, wishful thinking  can overcome the Constitutional requirement for a 2/3 vote to override a Constitutional Presidential veto.

Replacing Boehner, McConnell and shouting louder, and making bolder threats won't change the Constitution, so often mentioned by them.

You are correct about the Constitution. But do you understand that Barry does not care about the Constitution and will do what he wants and KNOW the PUBS do not have the Ba** to stop him??? Correct , if wrong!

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 07:33:16 pm »
And where has it led us? Too far down the road to progressivism. We cannot afford, as a country, to continue to give the left even more when we've already given them so much. The time for compromise is over.
I wonder how Teddy Roosevelt and FDR got elected, way back? The times they were a' changing-over 100 years ago. We survived then, and we will survive now.

We will be okay. But for conservatism to stay in the game, they too must change and adapt to a changing world and country. Getting smarter politically will help immensely.

To begin, the GOP needs to get smarter and quit their internal name calling.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 07:36:06 pm »
You are correct about the Constitution. But do you understand that Barry does not care about the Constitution and will do what he wants and KNOW the PUBS do not have the Ba** to stop him??? Correct , if wrong!
IOW you offer the same; bellicosity, threats, etc.

Obama is not the first one to test the Executive powers. FDR tried to pack the Supreme Court. Nixon was accused of the Imperial Presidency.

We will survive, but "conservatism" needs to raise up their game, not by threats and screaming ever more loudly, but by figuring out how to get some of what they want, instead of insisting on all or nothing.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 08:13:32 pm »
Where was the threat or bellicosity in longiron's comment? I saw none.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Relic

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 08:32:05 pm »
Where was the threat or bellicosity in longiron's comment? I saw none.

When you disagree with an establishment type, that is bellicosity, to them.

Offline raml

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 08:33:18 pm »
The no balls republicans were voted in to stop Obama not to help him achieve his goal of a communist country. I hate the weak kneed republican leaders more than I do Obama since they could have stopped him they were not voted in to give in to him but that is what they are doing. I have come to the conclusion that nothing can help this country it is gone the constitution is ignored and republican leaders are at fault for this. To hell with it all I lived long enough to see our destruction I wish I hadn't but I did I am going to hibernate into my small world and ignore what corrupt politicians have done and pray for my salvation to hell with yours.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 08:33:26 pm »

Obama is not the first one to test the Executive powers. FDR tried to pack the Supreme Court. Nixon was accused of the Imperial Presidency.

Except that Nixon felt the self-conscious emotion of shame and honorably resigned. Obama possesses no such form of self-examination with which to check his behavior. We have a dangerous man as president.

Offline Relic

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 08:37:34 pm »
The no balls republicans were voted in to stop Obama not to help him achieve his goal of a communist country. I hate the weak kneed republican leaders more than I do Obama since they could have stopped him they were not voted in to give in to him but that is what they are doing. I have come to the conclusion that nothing can help this country it is gone the constitution is ignored and republican leaders are at fault for this. To hell with it all I lived long enough to see our destruction I wish I hadn't but I did I am going to hibernate into my small world and ignore what corrupt politicians have done and pray for my salvation to hell with yours.

We see things much the same. The Republicans were given the House and the Senate because the people wanted to put a check on Obama's executive orders, amnesty in particular. Now that the Republicans have shown their hand, and it's clear they will capitulate to Obama, the people will respond appropriately.

There is little chance the Republicans will win the presidency, or hold the Senate in 2016.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 08:39:19 pm »
I know how you feel, raml.  8888crybaby
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 08:46:07 pm »
Unless the GOPe gets their crap together soon, I don't see them retaining the majority.

If the Tea Party idiots continue to muck up the process, THEY will be responsible for whatever happens to the GOP majority. It's the intransigence of the right wing that's causing the problems.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 08:51:45 pm »
We see things much the same. The Republicans were given the House and the Senate because the people wanted to put a check on Obama's executive orders, amnesty in particular. Now that the Republicans have shown their hand, and it's clear they will capitulate to Obama, the people will respond appropriately.

There is little chance the Republicans will win the presidency, or hold the Senate in 2016.

And that's because the rest of the country sees the absolute intransigence of the Tea Party and wants no part of it.  Everyone saw McConnell introduce the DHS funding attached to overturning Obama's EO FOUR TIMES, and four times the Democrats refused to take it up.

What is he then supposed to do?  He has to put up a bill  that will pass. 

Defunding will not work.  We've seen the GOP try it twice now, and fail.  Time to do something different.

Offline Relic

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 09:00:02 pm »
And that's because the rest of the country sees the absolute intransigence of the Tea Party and wants no part of it.  Everyone saw McConnell introduce the DHS funding attached to overturning Obama's EO FOUR TIMES, and four times the Democrats refused to take it up.

What is he then supposed to do?  He has to put up a bill  that will pass. 

Defunding will not work.  We've seen the GOP try it twice now, and fail.  Time to do something different.

When do they fight? When do they do something? Anything?

Banning ammo? No problem.
Amnesty? No problem.

Show me something, somewhere they do something other than make noise and put on a show?

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2015, 09:10:35 pm »
If the Tea Party idiots continue to muck up the process, THEY will be responsible for whatever happens to the GOP majority. It's the intransigence of the right wing that's causing the problems.

Oh Tea Party idiots?...it was the Tea Party and other Conservatives that gave them the Senate on the promise to stop Obama...they failed..then we heard from people here to calm down and give them a chance...well we did that to and still nothing....what is that old saying..*fool me once*..etc......I can only speak for myself..I will always vote...I don't believe in sitting out elections..I will NEVER vote Dem for any office...so that will leave me no choice to vote [outside the primaries] for the Rep candidate......like I said I speak only for myself.......

Don't call TP members idiots!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online libertybele

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2015, 09:10:57 pm »

You are of course entitled to your opinion.  The GOPe siding with the DEMS is what's causing the problem.  Silly me.  Here I thought we were a two party system.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Relic

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2015, 09:16:47 pm »
You are of course entitled to your opinion.  The GOPe siding with the DEMS is what's causing the problem.  Silly me.  Here I thought we were a two party system.

Nope, in Washington D.C. it's one big party, with our money.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2015, 09:17:10 pm »
Oh Tea Party idiots?...it was the Tea Party and other Conservatives that gave them the Senate on the promise to stop Obama...they failed..then we heard from people here to calm down and give them a chance...well we did that to and still nothing....what is that old saying..*fool me once*..etc......I can only speak for myself..I will always vote...I don't believe in sitting out elections..I will NEVER vote Dem for any office...so that will leave me no choice to vote [outside the primaries] for the Rep candidate......like I said I speak only for myself.......

Don't call TP members idiots!

OK. I don't want to get a time-out.

But I will say that the tea partiers continue to advocate that the Congress do the same thing, over and over.

Call that what you will.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2015, 09:18:25 pm »

They tried. It didn't work. Shutting down the government or one department of government NEVER works.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2015, 09:22:51 pm »

Why is that?

Will you vote Democrat next round?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Relic

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2015, 09:24:10 pm »
Why is that?

Will you vote Democrat next round?

I will.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2015, 09:24:45 pm »
I will.

No doubt.

That says a lot about you.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 09:25:07 pm by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Relic

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2015, 09:27:46 pm »
No doubt.

That says a lot about you.

Hey, if everyone does as I will do, then you'll get your open borders.

You're a staunch conservative, until your not. Just like your rulers in the GOPe.