Author Topic: Breaking>>>Homeland Security Funding Measure Fails in the House  (Read 1637 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Newsmax
Homeland Security Funding Measure Fails in the House
Friday, February 27, 2015 05:23 PM

The House of Representatives on Friday defeated a three-week funding measure for the Department of Homeland Security in a 203-224 vote.

The anti-terrorism department is slated to run out of money at midnight.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Breaking>>>Homeland Security Funding Measure Fails in the House
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 10:37:35 pm »
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/02/27/gop-revolt-crashes-dhs-spending-bill-handing-huge-defeat-to-boehner/

GOP Revolt Crashes DHS Spending Bill Hours Before Shutdown, Handing Huge Defeat to Boehner
Feb. 27, 2015 5:15pm Pete Kasperowicz   

The House on Thursday rejected legislation to extend funding for Department of Homeland Security for another three weeks, a shock result that will send GOP leaders scrambling for a way to fund the department just hours before its funding expires.

Members rejected the spending resolution 203-224, a tally that reflected significant Republican opposition to the bill. In the final vote, more than 50 Republicans voted against it, which meant that more than 20 Democrats were needed to pass the bill.

The House on Thursday rejected legislation to extend funding for Department of Homeland Security for another three weeks, a shock result that will send GOP leaders scrambling for a way to fund the department just hours before its funding expires.

Members rejected the spending resolution 203-224, a tally that reflected significant Republican opposition to the bill. In the final vote, more than 50 Republicans voted against it, which meant that more than 20 Democrats were needed to pass the bill.
Screen Shot 2015-02-27 at 4.57.04 PM

House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) on Friday failed to muscle through a short-term DHS spending bill, and faced objections from dozens of Republicans and almost every Democrat. Image: AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite

But only 12 Democrats supported the bill, and many of them voted for the bill as it became clear that Democrats would have to pitch in if the bill were to pass. House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) asked Democrats just minutes before the vote not to help Republicans pass the bill, and she seems to have mostly gotten her way.

Conservative Republicans opposed the bill because they believe it will allow the Obama administration to implement its executive action on immigration. Republicans had pushed for language to defund President Barack Obama’s action in the DHS bill, but that version went nowhere in the Senate, and many GOP members opposed the Senate’s plan B, which was to take out the immigration language.

Democrats opposed the bill because they oppose a short-term stopgap measure that will only serve to keep the immigration fight alive for another three weeks.

With that vote result, it wasn’t immediately clear what step could be taken to spare DHS from a partial shutdown that would take effect after Friday.

One option would be to take up the Senate’s clean DHS bill, but Republicans have not indicated they are willing to do that yet. Another choice is to do nothing and allow the partial shutdown to happen, or find some new legislative proposal that might attract support.

At the end of the vote, House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) said only that more votes were possible later tonight, and possibly over the weekend. His message about the weekend vote means DHS could now be facing a partial shutdown in the near term.

In the hours before the vote, Republicans recessed the House for nearly an hour and a half to corral the necessary votes, but clearly failed to make the progress they needed to make.

Democrats spent the day blasting Republicans for putting U.S. national security at risk through a partial DHS shutdown, by failing to pass the Senate’s full-year spending bill.

“House Republicans have a plan that is a staggering failure of leadership that will prolong this manufactured crisis of theirs, and endanger the security of the American people,” said Pelosi.

“I don’t even think it’s a political motivation with them,” she added. “I think that’s who they are. They don’t believe in governance, they’re against anything the president proposes, and this is a comfortable place for them to be.”

On Friday morning, the Senate passed a full-year spending bill, after which Democrats called on House Republicans to consider that bill. Senate Democrats said the only way forward was to pass the Senate bill.

Earlier in the day, White House spokesman Josh Earnest said Obama would accept a three-week bill if that’s all he could get. But the House vote showed that’s not possible today.
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 11:37:32 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/234175-house-bill-fails

Chaos in House as lawmakers reject DHS bill; shutdown nears

A short-term funding measure to keep the Department of Homeland Security open (DHS) was defeated in the House on Friday in a stunning vote that could result in a partial government shutdown at midnight.

The bill failed 203-224, with 51 Republicans voting against legislation that was set to fund the DHS and its associated agencies through March 19. Twelve Democrats voted for it.

The vote is a humiliating defeat for Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) and his leadership team, who had scrambled to bring the three-week funding bill to the floor ahead of the looming deadline.
The next steps on the funding bill are not clear, with a shutdown of the agency just hours away.

House Appropriations Committee Chairman Hal Rogers (R-Ky.) said to "stay tuned" on next steps as leaders talk with members of the Republican Conference.

GOP leaders could try to twist arms and bring the same bill to the floor again; they could bring up a shorter, one-week continuing resolution (CR) to pressure the Senate to go to a conference committee; or they could pass a funding bill by voice vote that keeps the DHS open through the weekend.

"So I think they'll just find whichever pathway they can find, and that would be the last resort, of course," said conservative Rep. John Fleming (R-La.), who voted against the funding bill.

Republicans had bet the short-term bill could be approved with some help from Democrats. But the minority party was determined to force Republicans to pass it on their own, despite the White House’s signal that President Obama could support the measure.

With Democrats united against the bill, the GOP could afford to lose only 28 of its own members.

The 15-minute vote began at 4:23 p.m., and was held open for 52 minutes as GOP leaders scrambled to try and flip votes to get the bill over the finish line.

Boehner grilled Rep. Scott DesJarlais (R-Tenn.) on the floor about his vote, while House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) huddled with deputy whip Rep. Patrick McHenry (N.C.).

DesJarlais did not change his mind.

Democrats mocked the GOP’s struggles, recalling how Boehner admonished members this week for not following the chamber's dress code.

"Madame Speaker, am I not properly dressed?" Rep. Joe Crowley (D-N.Y.) shouted from the microphone. "My shoes are polished."

Rep. Pete King (R-N.Y.), who on Thursday said he's "had it with this self-righteous delusional wing of the party," stood stone-faced as the "no" votes against the CR piled up.

The vote was gaveled to a close at 5:15 p.m., with GOP leaders more than a dozen votes short of a majority.

Conservatives rallied against the three-week bill because it would do nothing to overturn Obama’s actions on immigration. They are demanding that the bill include riders to block deportation deferrals and work visas for illegal immigrants.

Rep. Steve Womack (R-Ark.), who voted for the three-week CR, said he had heard “rumblings” before the vote that there might be enough opposition to take the bill down.

"It's a tough position for leadership right now. They've got to sort it all out and call a new play,” Womack said.

One potential move for Boehner would to bring up a clean bill passed by the Senate on Friday that would fund the DHS through September without reversing Obama’s immigration actions.

Earlier in the day, the House voted to form a conference committee with Senate on the clean bill, which could prevent Boehner from bringing it up again.

But Rep. Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.) said Boehner still has the option.

"We still have the Senate bill in our possession, we just clarified that with the parliamentarian, it hasn't gone back yet. ... The House, after voting on a conference committee report, can send it whenever it wants, and as of right now it's still here."

"They've got until midnight. ... They could go up to [the] Rules [Committee] and do it in a second," he said.

House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) on CNN pushed Boehner to bring up the long-term funding bill, promising Democrats would vote "overwhelmingly, if not unanimously" in favor of it.

“What is improper is to pretend that this situation will be different 21 days from now,” Hoyer said.

If DHS funding is not approved, employees of agencies such as the Coast Guard, the Secret Service and U.S. Customs and Border Enforcement could soon be forced to work without pay. Thousands of other officials would be furloughed.

Obama and DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson have warned for weeks that a shutdown of the DHS would threaten national security.

“Two months into the Republican Congress, we are already staring a Homeland Security shutdown square in the face, even as terrorists around the world threaten to strike America," Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said in a statement after the House vote.

“The Republican Congress has shown that it simply cannot govern.”

— Last updated at 5:50 p.m.
Support the USO

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 12:32:45 am »
Real Conservatives@ have proved to be incapable of persuading greater, and greater numbers of fellow representatives, to vote with them.

This failure is important, because they don't get off first base as far as picking up momentum.

Maybe the tone, lack of decorum, plain bad manners of walking out on Jeb Bush is not a winning formula.

Maybe they ought to start self-examination, for why their movement is not succeeding.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 12:35:28 am »
Maybe they ought to start self-examination, for why their movement is not succeeding.
Hey, here's an answer:

The American people have been bought off with government bennies!
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 12:42:52 am »
I think it has more to do with the exorbitant amount of corruption in our government and our elected officials lining their own pockets.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 12:43:19 am by libertybele »
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 12:47:44 am »
If the DHS shuts down I have a feeling terrorism will increase by approximately 0%.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 12:50:32 am »
If the DHS shuts down I have a feeling terrorism will increase by approximately 0%.

If the DHS shuts down I predict that Reid and Pelosi are going to have coronaries.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 12:56:58 am »
If the DHS shuts down I predict that Reid and Pelosi are going to have coronaries.

I would say that a false-flag 'I told you so' attack becomes much more likely.

Would this government do that?  In a heartbeat...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 01:00:29 am »
Am I mistaken in believing a lot of people here would support the removal of the DHS? I'm sure I've seen at least a few say that. I think the Republicans should stick with it and refuse to pass funding.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 01:21:39 am »
Am I mistaken in believing a lot of people here would support the removal of the DHS? I'm sure I've seen at least a few say that. I think the Republicans should stick with it and refuse to pass funding.

Personally, I think it would be prudent to shutdown the DHS, IRS, EPA, BATF, and FDA.  There are others, but I'd start with the obvious.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 02:36:23 am »
Hey, here's an answer:

The American people have been bought off with government bennies!
Grow up.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Puss-N-Boots

• God. Family. Seahawks!
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 02:38:25 am »
You are right.  DHS will not shut down.  Support people are going home, everyone else will be at work.
The Constitution is not a suggestion.