Author Topic: FCC overturns state laws that protect ISPs from competition  (Read 3546 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

Re: FCC overturns state laws that protect ISPs from competition
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 06:23:05 pm »
And exactly where does the FCC get the authority to do this?

Not sure. Do you disagree with what has been done?
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 06:25:42 pm »
ABSOLUTELY!!!

So protecting ISPs from competition is a good thing?
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 06:31:01 pm »
Just because you say that is what they are doing does not make it so!  I'm for FREE markets and this isn't it!
!

You're right; free markets = no competition. Wait, I think we might be confused about how this capitalism thing works.
-Socrates

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 07:39:31 pm »
Not sure. Do you disagree with what has been done?
The problem DEX is the federal government is getting way too much power. So I disagree with this because of that reason.  FCC takes this away from state law then what else is next? It is a state law what gives them that authority? Whether or not it is a bad law or not.  WHAT GIVES THEM THAT POWER?

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 07:45:25 pm »

Federal Communication Commission Chairman Tom Wheeler joins hands with FCC Commissioners Mignon Clyburn, left, and Jessica Rosenworcel, before the start of their open hearing in Washington, Thursday, Feb. 26, 2015. Internet service providers like Comcast, Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile will have to act in the “public interest” when providing a mobile connection to your home or phone, under new rules approved by the FCC. The rules put the Internet in the same regulatory camp now as the telephone, banning providers from “unjust or unreasonable” business practices. (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais)
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Dexter

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 08:09:18 pm »
WHAT GIVES THEM THAT POWER?

I don't know. I was simply trying to figure out whether or not people agreed with what was done.
-Socrates

Offline aligncare

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 08:14:23 pm »
We used to have a federal government. But somehow, over time, it's morphed into a national government. Something the framers DID NOT WANT!

States' rights? What's that?

Offline flowers

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 08:48:39 pm »
I don't know. I was simply trying to figure out whether or not people agreed with what was done.
then the answer is no.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 09:06:55 pm »
then the answer is no.

We're not talking about how they have that authority or if they should have that authority. I am asking if you agree with the overturning of state laws that protected ISPs from competition. You say no, so I am to assume that you think it would be better for these laws to stay and for ISPs to not have competition?
-Socrates

Offline flowers

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 10:12:59 pm »
We're not talking about how they have that authority or if they should have that authority. I am asking if you agree with the overturning of state laws that protected ISPs from competition. You say no, so I am to assume that you think it would be better for these laws to stay and for ISPs to not have competition?
No.......again let me be clear. I am against anything that is ruled by the feds OK?  So yes I am for the states involved to have the laws stay and have ISPs not to have competition. If the feds overruled and changed it is is a bad thing. Name me ONE thing that the feds have done to help us, PLEASE.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 10:19:02 pm »
So yes I am for the states involved to have the laws stay and have ISPs not to have competition.

Thank you.
-Socrates

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 10:21:30 pm »
ISPs don't have competition? That's a new one to me. Another solving a problem that doesn't exist.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 10:24:24 pm »
The problem DEX is the federal government is getting way too much power. So I disagree with this because of that reason.  FCC takes this away from state law then what else is next? It is a state law what gives them that authority? Whether or not it is a bad law or not.  WHAT GIVES THEM THAT POWER?

:amen:
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline flowers

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 10:28:21 pm »
ISPs don't have competition? That's a new one to me. Another solving a problem that doesn't exist.
THANK YOU!

Offline raml

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 10:29:15 pm »
Anything this federal government does is under suspicion due to it has ignored laws and is dictating instead what ever it feels like. So no I don't agree with a thing that the FCC did and I would love to know how they got the power to even do this other than Obama dictating that they can.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 10:37:41 pm »

How many different sources of internet do you have access to in your area? I and most other people have approximately 1.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 11:21:05 pm by Dex4974 »
-Socrates

Offline rb224315

• Custom Title goes here
  • Personal Text goes here
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 10:45:26 pm »
This is rich.  Our resident liberal (claiming to be "independent" or "moderate") trolls the board once again, this time appearing to support the notion of allowing of competition across some geographical boundary(ies).

"The Federal Communications Commission today voted to preempt state laws in North Carolina and Tennessee that prevent municipal broadband providers from expanding outside their territories."

Get that?  The feds now say that the states can't stop broadband providers from expanding beyond certain geographical boundaries.  Big companies with monopoly power should be allowed to expand and kill the little guys.

When it comes to health insurance, however, I strongly suspect that the troll supports the federal regulations which restrict insurance companies to certain geographical boundaries.  Can't let these big companies get too powerful, right?

Fact is, Mr. Troll, the federal government is far too involved in both industries.  If specific problems crop up and are widespread enough that it makes sense to address them at the federal level, let's do that.  Otherwise, the feds shouldn't make up phantom problems--problems for which they are the only solution, of course.  "We are the ones we've been waiting for."  No, thanks.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 10:46:53 pm by rb224315 »
rb224315:  just another "Creepy-ass Cracka".

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 10:51:13 pm »
How many different sources of internet do you have access to in your area? I and most other people have approximately 1.
I have access through cable TV lines in my street to both Verizon Fios, and Time Warner.

In place of my old landline, which at the end was Verizon Fios bundled, I substituted an internet service (VOIP), saving money. Instead of about $30 per month to have a land line, I pay about $30 per year. It runs over my router, so of course I need high speed internet.

I could alternately get internet service from various mobile phone carriers (both the majors like Sprint, At&T, plus discount provider using the same cellular networks, such as Clear and others. In some locations internet is available over satellite.

If my math is good, there are several multiples of one. 
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Dexter

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2015, 10:53:23 pm »
I have access through cable TV lines in my street to both Verizon Fios, and Time Warner.

In place of my old landline, which at the end was Verizon Fios bundled, I substituted an internet service (VOIP), saving money. Instead of about $30 per month to have a land line, I pay about $30 per year. It runs over my router, so of course I need high speed internet.

I could alternately get internet service from various mobile phone carriers (both the majors like Sprint, At&T, plus discount provider using the same cellular networks, such as Clear and others. In some locations internet is available over satellite.

So you believe the major ISPs have a lot of competition?
-Socrates

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2015, 11:09:40 pm »

You are an exception.

Where I am, I have one: the local cable franchise (and there's usually only one in any given area). FiOS stopped expanding years ago, and mobile networks severely limit data usage. For what Comcast charges for 30 GB, and most others offer unlimited, you can only get 2 GB (barely enough for a moderate user) from a mobile network. Furthermore, mobile and satellite networks are almost certain not to allow access to certain services. The cable franchise, in most areas, almost always has a clear upper hand.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Dexter

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 11:16:33 pm »
You are an exception.

Where I am, I have one: the local cable franchise (and there's usually only one in any given area). FiOS stopped expanding years ago, and mobile networks severely limit data usage. For what Comcast charges for 30 GB, and most others offer unlimited, you can only get 2 GB (barely enough for a moderate user) from a mobile network. Furthermore, mobile and satellite networks are almost certain not to allow access to certain services. The cable franchise, in most areas, almost always has a clear upper hand.

Thank you.
-Socrates

Offline ABX

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2015, 11:35:38 pm »

What city are you in?

I am in a small town in rural East Texas. We have the following:

Suddenlink Cable Internet
AT&T DSL
AT&T U-Verse
AT&T Wireless 4G
Verizon 4G LTE
Sprint Wireless 4G
Nextel Wireless 4G
DirectTV Satellite Internet
EchoStar Satellite Internet
ViaSat Satellite Internet

...and many prepaid wireless services I can't even count.

At that, name for me any town in the US and I can guarantee at least 3-4 ISP providers of some sort because, at the very least, almost all towns have wireless coverage and satellite options cover almost 100% of the US. Long gone are the days of hard wired ISPs being the only option.

Some people may not be aware of all the options and may not want to pay for some, but there are options for those who are willing.

It is a complete myth that there is no competition, just people not willing to research the competition or maybe pay more for the service they want.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 11:36:47 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline ABX

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2015, 11:40:41 pm »
You are an exception.

So you are actually saying you have many competitive options you just aren't willing to pay for some. (I can also tell you why FiOS stopped expanding- government regulators and unions making it too expensive to run new fiber).
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 11:42:53 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2015, 04:56:20 pm »

So you are actually saying you have many competitive options you just aren't willing to pay for some. (I can also tell you why FiOS stopped expanding- government regulators and unions making it too expensive to run new fiber).
More regulation is surely not going to generate more competition at lower prices.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln