Author Topic: Ben Carson: Government dependency is 'opposite of compassion'  (Read 628 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Ben Carson: Government dependency is 'opposite of compassion'
« on: February 26, 2015, 04:55:05 pm »
February 26, 2015, 09:36 am
Ben Carson: Government dependency is 'opposite of compassion'
By Ben Kamisar

Dr. Ben Carson opened the Conservative Political Action Conference Thursday morning with a professorial speech that slammed liberal government programs and policies, previewing themes of a potential 2016 presidential bid.

“It really is not compassionate to pat people on the head and say, ‘There there, you poor little thing, I’m going to take care of all of your needs,’” he told the crowd outside of Washington.

“That’s not compassion, that’s the opposite of compassion, its making people dependent. What real compassion is, is using our intellect to find ways to allow those people to climb out of dependency and realize the American dream.”
Carson added during the segment’s brief question and answer period that he’s “not interested in getting rid of the safety net,” but instead “interested in getting rid of dependency.”

The former neurosurgeon ticked off a laundry list of conservative ideas including abolishing the Internal Revenue Service, protecting gun rights, and limiting government’s involvement in health care and education, with each getting increasing applause from the friendly crowd. 

“I’m not ready for Hillary, but what am I ready for?” he asked, chiding assumed Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton.

“I’m ready for a country that puts our Constitution on the top shelf, every part of it.”

He also spoke to his health care expertise, warning that Republicans need to come up with a strong alternative to the Affordable Care Act before the party works to repeal it. And he also showed support for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu ahead of his controversial speech to Congress next week. 

While Carson has never held elected office, he rose to prominence within the conservative movement with a passionate speech at the National Prayer Breakfast in 2013. He’s performed well in national polling of a hypothetical 2016 field—a Real Clear Politics average of those polls has Carson in fourth place.

His CPAC speech is the first in the annual three day event filled with speeches from conservative politicians and presidential hopefuls. The event is seen as an important launching point for presidential candidates looking to make inroads with the party's base.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/233923-carson-government-dependency-is-opposite-of-compassion
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Re: Ben Carson: Government dependency is 'opposite of compassion'
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 04:55:57 pm »
 :amen:  :amen: and  :amen:

VERY well said Dr. Carson!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 04:58:32 pm »

“I’m ready for a country that puts our Constitution on the top shelf, every part of it.”

.....and uses the full force of existing law to punish those who don't.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 05:15:07 pm »

.....and uses the full force of existing law to punish those who don't.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline raml

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 09:00:02 pm »
We are to far gone the constitution will never be the backbone of the united states again. The people who have overthrown it are still  in power and I doubt will ever give up that power and even if they do we don't have a party running that gives a damn about the constitution. Republicans leaders are just as power happy just not as loved as the democrats are by their voters for being such communists at heart.