Author Topic: UT/TT Poll: In Texas, Walker Ties Cruz; Clinton Soaring  (Read 679 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

UT/TT Poll: In Texas, Walker Ties Cruz; Clinton Soaring
« on: February 24, 2015, 07:13:05 pm »
http://www.texastribune.org/2015/02/23/uttt-poll-texas-walker-ties-cruz-clinton-soaring/

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker has erased U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz’s strong lead among Texas Republicans in the volatile and still-developing race for the party’s 2016 presidential nomination, according to the latest University of Texas/Texas Tribune Poll.

Cruz’s 25 percentage-point lead over Walker in October has vanished: The Texan won the support of 20 percent of the state’s registered voters to Walker’s 19 percent — a statistical tie. Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and author Ben Carson were tied at 9 percent, and former Texas Gov. Rick Perry was next at 8 percent.

“Scott Walker is clearly breathing some of the oxygen on the right. The big takeaway here is that Ted Cruz is still a giant among Texas Republicans — but he is not invulnerable,” said Jim Henson, co-director of the poll and head of the Texas Politics Project at UT-Austin. “Conservatives are willing to look at another candidate who fits that profile.”

In the October UT/TT Poll, Cruz registered 27 percent of the support to Walker’s 2 percent. Perry, now running fifth, was running second a few months ago.

“This is the first real shakeup in this that we have seen,” Henson said. “We’re now a year out from primary season. It’s not really a race yet, but it is a shift, and people are probably starting to think about it.”

Other candidates lagged behind: Mike Huckabee, at 5 percent; Rand Paul and Marco Rubio, at 4 percent; Sarah Palin at 3 percent; Chris Christie, 2 percent; Bobby Jindal, John Kasich and Rick Santorum, at 1 percent; and Carly Fiorina, John Bolton and Lindsey Graham at zero. Thirteen percent of the voters said they have not made up their minds.

“It clearly is a jumble,” said Daron Shaw, a professor of government at UT-Austin who co-directs the poll. “Cruz continues to distinguish himself as the Texas candidate, but Walker has made a move — we have a momentum candidate.”

That could be a mixed bag for the insurgent, Shaw said. “If you start out strong really early, the other candidates tend to turn their cannons on you.”

For the state’s Tea Party voters, it appears to be a three-way race between Cruz, Walker and Carson, in that order. Among voters who said they would remain with the GOP if the Tea Party were separate, the leaders in order were Cruz, Walker, Bush and Perry.

“As the field has become a little more crowded, it looks like it has hurt Rand Paul and complicated things that were already complicated for Rick Perry,” Henson said.

<snip>

The University of Texas/Texas Tribune internet survey of 1,200 registered voters was conducted from Feb. 6 to Feb. 15 and has an overall margin of error of +/- 2.83 percentage points. Among registered voters in Republican primary races, the margin of error is +/- 4.19 percent; in Democratic primary races, it is +/- 4.89 percent. Numbers in charts might not add up to 100 percent because of rounding.

Internet survey.  I find this interesting just from the change since last Oct.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: UT/TT Poll: In Texas, Walker Ties Cruz; Clinton Soaring
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 07:22:21 pm »
Every time I read somebody claiming their is any organized movement by a GOP, or GOPe, a conspiracy, I remind myself they don't even have the power to tell Santorum or Palin to get out of this publicity opportunity.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 08:26:17 pm »
Every time I read somebody claiming their is any organized movement by a GOP, or GOPe, a conspiracy, I remind myself they don't even have the power to tell Santorum or Palin to get out of this publicity opportunity.
and Carly Fiorina, John Bolton and Lindsey Graham at zero.

You make a very good point.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 12:52:20 am »
and Carly Fiorina, John Bolton and Lindsey Graham at zero.

You make a very good point.
Graham is running a one-state campaign, the one where he controls the machine and just happens to have an early primary. He doesn't care about Texas.

It appears the right is coalescing around Walker, and I can handle that. As Franklin once quipped…join, or die.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 12:59:16 am »
Graham is running a one-state campaign, the one where he controls the machine and just happens to have an early primary. He doesn't care about Texas.

It appears the right is coalescing around Walker, and I can handle that. As Franklin once quipped…join, or die.

I think Walker would be a better choice than Cruz imho..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 02:16:26 am »
...a month or so before the primaries a poll might have some significance.  It is way too early to put much stock in any poll.  Focus should be holding our GOP representatives feet to the fire to reign this president in. Otherwise we will lose.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.