Author Topic: Two House bills would end federal prohibition of marijuana  (Read 6438 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Two House bills would end federal prohibition of marijuana
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2015, 12:30:33 am »
Are you related to Dex by the way?

Truth, you really need to get out more and stop reading comic books.

I had a two year gig in Albany NY and one of the permanent staff told me he was thinking about moving down south but was concerned about how we treated women.

I don't know where your hyper-fixation with alcohol, grandma and drugs comes from, but it appears to me that you may in fact be one of them thar guitar playing hippies we southerners hear tell about.....

It is behavior not culture. 
You walk up to me with your pants down around your knees or ghetto speak your not getting any support from me.
Dude, I'm a soon to be 67 year old vet, barely ever did a little pot for a short while. Quit drinking 21 years ago.

If I'm related to Dex, it is because we served in uniform. You?

My regional identity is closest to Western conservative. As in Goldwater. As in you mind your business, I'll mind mine.

If that equates to comic book, pants around knees and ghetto speak, you got some adjustments to make in your comprehension.

I'm a big fan of Southern rock, btw. Lynyrd Skynyrd, Marshall Tucker, Allman Brothers, etc.

It seems you and the musical one read mostly the white space between the lines.

We probably have different meanings, for words like "freedom" and "liberty."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2015, 12:41:19 am »
Dude, I'm a soon to be 67 year old vet, barely ever did a little pot for a short while. Quit drinking 21 years ago.
62 year old vet, no pot, drink a little wine a xmas and a beer with the super bowl, other than that pretty dull :)

If I'm related to Dex, it is because we served in uniform. You?
7 years,3 months, 5 days and 22 minutes.. but who's counting.. :)
My regional identity is closest to Western conservative. As in Goldwater. As in you mind your business, I'll mind mine.
agree, as long as your mind does not do battle with mine.. :)

If that equates to comic book, pants around knees and ghetto speak, you got some adjustments to make in your comprehension.
ouch!

I'm a big fan of Southern rock, btw. Lynyrd Skynyrd, Marshall Tucker, Allman Brothers, etc.
Dude, cool tunes...

It seems you and the musical one read mostly the white space between the lines.
50 years near DC makes you suspicious of most everything..

We probably have different meanings, for words like "freedom" and "liberty."
Unlikely but possible

Offline musiclady

« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2015, 12:42:17 am »
I'm unhinged and irrational? No, you use that claim to avoid the discussing the substance; eg.

It is cultural. Strangely so. It was "social conservatives" that foisted Prohibition on the land.

It is really the same thing, with a few changes. Having lost on alcohol, and unwilling to vilify grandma on narcotics, they take up their crusade against the guitar playing long haired young rebels, who they have wanted to get, ever since they arrived on the scene.

Little difference, really. Social conservatives ALWAYS know what is best for everybody else.

It is cultural.

And THIS is discussing the "substance?" Give me a break!

You smear millions of GOOD people who happen to disagree with you with your irrational hostility.

And just for the record, I had absolutely nothing to do with Prohibition.

Get a GRIP.

You're the one who seems to know what's "best" for everyone else. 

If you want an accurate picture of the cultural problem, look in the mirror.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2015, 12:48:37 am »
And THIS is discussing the "substance?" Give me a break!

You smear millions of GOOD people who happen to disagree with you with your irrational hostility.

And just for the record, I had absolutely nothing to do with Prohibition.

Get a GRIP.

You're the one who seems to know what's "best" for everyone else. 

If you want an accurate picture of the cultural problem, look in the mirror.
And yet another time, personal instead of substance.

Oceander

« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2015, 01:12:34 am »
Sounds like some people here need a little pot themselves.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2015, 01:17:04 am »

I'd be down for a circle.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2015, 01:24:30 am »
Eventually, marijuana decriminalization on the national level will probably pass.

Think the populace is dumbed-down and apathetic now?

Just wait...

One other prediction:
Legalizing pot will be like amnesty'ing the illegals. In that all their allegiance will afterwards go to the democrats, and essentially nothing towards Republicans.

"Hey, man, that guy's a Republican, and those people just want to take our freedom away, right? Got anything more to eat?"

Aside:
I may have been the only kid at the original Woodstock festival in 1969 who didn't get high.
And I was probably also the only soldier in Germany who went to the premier beer hall in the world ("The Hofbrau House", in Munchen, 1971) and drank a cola instead of a beer.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2015, 01:30:49 am »
But marijuana is immediately mind altering and slows reflexes, as for most, that is its purpose.

Just put on some Mantovani, Luis.  :dx1:

It is no more "mind altering" than the glass of Argentinian Malbec that I had with dinner last night, so you're making assumptions on the substance's impact lacking any personal experience with the substance.

LSD is mind altering, pot is not.

Consumption of alcohol slows reflexes as well, and nearly as fast. The primary issue with alcohol is that since the effects do take a little longer to manifest themselves, you'll be far more impaired by the time th at you realize that you are impaired.

For the record... I used to smoke quite a bit of weed back in the day. I still drink wine and the hard stuff on occasion, and I used to run busy bars, so I know that people drink faster than they get drunk. You can seriously outpace your drunk.

P.S. It is more difficult to function in the morning after an alcohol binge than it is to function the next morning after you smoked too much. In addition, there is a very good possibility that you will test above the legal limit of alcohol after "sleeping off" a good drunk than it is testing impaired from marijuana after sleeping of a good high.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2015, 01:31:49 am »
F R E E D O M is hard! REALLY hard!

Most Americans are no longer up to it it seems!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2015, 01:37:47 am »
F R E E D O M is hard! REALLY hard!

Most Americans are no longer up to it it seems!

All sides want to tell the other what to do.  Anti-abortion folks yell at the choice people, vaccine vs no vaccine, legal pot vs illegal pot, HOA's telling you what color to paint your door, EPA telling you what kind of light bulb you are allowed to buy and on and on it goes....

Where will it end?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 01:40:42 am by EdinVA »

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2015, 02:08:48 am »
All sides want to tell the other what to do.  Anti-abortion folks yell at the choice people, vaccine vs no vaccine, legal pot vs illegal pot, HOA's telling you what color to paint your door, EPA telling you what kind of light bulb you are allowed to buy and on and on it goes....

Where will it end?

Freedom means that you act in a free manner, but that you're in turn willing to accept the consequences if your actions and/or behavior.

Abortion - I am anti-abortion and anti-government interference in the life and decisions people make. If you abort a child, you have way bigger problems to face than my wrath or disapproval.

Vaccines - You can make the choice to vaccinate or not, but if that choice leads to you infecting someone that is not capable of being vaccinated, you should face criminal charges based on whatever happens to the individual(s) you infected.

Legal pot - There are plenty of laws already in place addressing the legal consequences of doing things while impaired. That's all we need.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Oceander

« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2015, 02:16:46 am »
Pot was more or less "legal" - in the sense of being relatively easy to find if you wanted it - at my undergrad (20 plus years ago) and it wasn't the end of the world.  It was also something that both town and gown could agree on.  Tried it myself a few times.  It wasn't the bees knees - I could take it or leave it - and I stopped the first time I got a case of the paranoids; the buzz just wasn't worth that.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2015, 02:17:25 am »
Freedom means that you act in a free manner, but that you're in turn willing to accept the consequences if your actions and/or behavior.

Abortion - I am anti-abortion and anti-government interference in the life and decisions people make. If you abort a child, you have way bigger problems to face than my wrath or disapproval.

Vaccines - You can make the choice to vaccinate or not, but if that choice leads to you infecting someone that is not capable of being vaccinated, you should face criminal charges based on whatever happens to the individual(s) you infected.

Legal pot - There are plenty of laws already in place addressing the legal consequences of doing things while impaired. That's all we need.

Exactly.  The snag is, who gets to define acceptable/unacceptable behavior and what the punishments will be and should those that are the deciders be able to abuse the federal system (all of it) to be their enforcers?

The laws about doing things "impaired" are determined by blood tests, can you do the same thing with pot?  I ask because I do not know....

There can be no consequences if there is no right or wrong.  We just need to figure out where the line is.

Just because something is not illegal, does not make it right.  Back in the60's and 70's Carl Ichann, a corporate raider, bought controlling interest in companies, split them up and sold off the pieces then stuck the pension fund in his pocket and shut the remainder down.  Left millions without any retirement BUT it was not against the law, but does that make it right?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 02:22:15 am by EdinVA »

Oceander

« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2015, 02:20:20 am »

I thought freedom meant "nothing left to lose"!?!

:silly:

Oceander

« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2015, 02:24:13 am »
Exactly.  The snag is, who gets to define acceptable/unacceptable behavior and what the punishments will be and should those that are the deciders be able to abuse the federal system (all of it) to be their enforcers?

The laws about doing things "impaired" are determined by blood tests, can you do the same thing with pot?  I ask because I do not know....

There can be no consequences if there is no right or wrong.  We just need to figure out where the line is.

Just because something is not illegal, does not make it right.  Back in the60's and 70's Carl Ichann, a corporate raider, bought controlling interest in companies, split them up and sold off the pieces then stuck the pension fund in his pocket and shut the remainder down.  Left millions without any retirement BUT it was not against the law, but does that make it right?

THC - the active component in marijuana - can be detected using blood tests.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2015, 02:28:36 am »
In my area, people have been successfully prosecuted for driving while impaired.

A friend of mine got nailed for driving while on sleeping pills, no less. I don't know how they test.

FYI they also charge murder up to 2nd degree, for drunk/impaired driving.

Oceander

« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2015, 02:32:21 am »
In my area, people have been successfully prosecuted for driving while impaired.

A friend of mine got nailed for driving while on sleeping pills, no less. I don't know how they test.

FYI they also charge murder up to 2nd degree, for drunk/impaired driving.

It seems to me that under appropriate circumstances one can be guilty of impaired driving without the state having to prove that the person had actually consumed some substance.  After all, impaired is first and foremost a matter of observable driving deficits.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2015, 02:44:35 am »
And yet another time, personal instead of substance.

Tell you what, t_s........ when you stop smearing entire groups of GOOD people, I'll stop responding to you.

Deal??

And for the record, I've already stated that I understand and respect those with another POV on this issue.

I just don't agree.

It would be nice if that perspective would come from those who disagree with my POV.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 02:48:00 am by musiclady »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Oceander

« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2015, 02:45:51 am »

Maybe some valium.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2015, 02:51:10 am »

Maybe some valium.

Nah, then you would be impaired..

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2015, 02:51:27 am »

Maybe some valium.

Never tried valium before.