Author Topic: What winter? Northwest enjoys high temperatures  (Read 423 times)

Offline flowers

What winter? Northwest enjoys high temperatures
« on: February 18, 2015, 03:34:34 pm »
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20150218/us-warm-weather-8a67aba85d.html

SEATTLE (AP) — Flowers are blossoming. Bees are buzzing. The sky is blue. Sunsets have been stunning. Temperatures have crept north of 60 degrees, and joggers are going shirtless.

This isn't a typical February in the Pacific Northwest.

While the Northeast is buried under snow, the opposite corner of the country has been hosting the opposite of the winter weather spectrum. The Northwest has had a record-breaking winter, but for warm temperatures.

Records highs were logged Monday and Tuesday in parts of Washington and Oregon as one of the mildest winters continues in the Northwest.

(AP) Lillian Steiner, 9, turns to show-off to her family how deep she dared wade into the...
Full Image
On Tuesday, meteorologists reported record highs of 61 degrees at Sea-Tac Airport, 63 in Hoquiam, 59 in Bellingham and 65 in Quillayute, Washington, while in northwest Oregon, McMinnville hit a record for the day of 66 degrees.

On Monday, the National Weather Service reported record highs of 59 at Sea-Tac Airport, 60 in Olympia, 62 in Hoquiam and 62 in Vancouver. In Oregon, record highs were 61 in Portland, 62 in Hillsboro and 66 in Salem.

Forecasters said the high pressure ridge responsible for the summerlike weather might weaken enough by Wednesday for some clouds and a chance of drizzle. The high pressure is expected to rebuild over the weekend and into next week.

Our weather here in my part of Idaho..................wild. Only 3 ft of snow. 48 degree days 10 at night. No snow on the roads in town. The creeks haven't been frozen over for months. I was able to park my truck in the front of our place yesterday never have been able to do that this time of year.  People who have lived here for years have never seen so little snow in Feb.  We usually have 45 inches this time of year. March is the month we get slammed with snow, so no putting away the snow blower yet.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: What winter? Northwest enjoys high temperatures
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 03:52:05 pm »
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20150218/us-warm-weather-8a67aba85d.html

Our weather here in my part of Idaho..................wild. Only 3 ft of snow. 48 degree days 10 at night. No snow on the roads in town. The creeks haven't been frozen over for months. I was able to park my truck in the front of our place yesterday never have been able to do that this time of year.  People who have lived here for years have never seen so little snow in Feb.  We usually have 45 inches this time of year. March is the month we get slammed with snow, so no putting away the snow blower yet.

We've just got our first real snow of winter, we have about 14 inches on the ground, which is a lot for us to get at one time.  Last winter, we had snow on the ground all winter because temperatures stayed cold - and that was unusual too.  I love snow.  If I don't have to get out and drive in it - I say, "let it snow"!

I hope you're enjoying your winter, Flowers.  It's still not too late.  I'm waiting to see if March comes in like a lamb, or like a lion. 

:laugh:

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Puss-N-Boots

• God. Family. Seahawks!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 04:52:17 pm »
My neighbor's rhododendron is blooming, the cherry trees in Sumner are blooming, and bulbs are popping up.  We have NO snowpack left.  Weirdest winter since I've been up here.
The Constitution is not a suggestion.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 07:36:42 pm »
I live in the Seattle area, and it really has been a very mild Winter, with no lowland snow where I live and this February has been beautiful.  I was out mowing the lawn yesterday in a short sleeve shirt, and pulling weeds from the tuplip garden which are about 2" high now.

But we rarely have harsh winters. Our winters seem to last about 1 or 2 weeks at most. If it's wet during those 2-weeks you get periods of snow or cold rain. If its dry, it's clear and low temps in the teens.

The worse part of this winter is the low snow amounts in the mountains. Around 4% of normal.

BOSTON - You may have got lucky and took home the Lombardy trophy in a very freakish and unlikely ending to the Super Bowl.    But we in Seattle are enjoying warm sunshine, early barbeques, sipping  cold beer on the deck. So there!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 07:55:16 pm by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 07:51:59 pm »
But before anyone panics, and wonders if the Global warming alarmist are right, you have to know and understand the trend.   We have had some remarkable mountain snowfall in the last 5-years. As a Northwest skier, I am well aware of what "normal" is. This year is a freakish outlier.  And it has to do with the placement of the Jet Stream, and nothing more. The same jet stream giving us the dry weather , is dumping it all on the East.

Snoqualmie Pass Snow Fall
2014-2015   79”
2013-2014   293”
2012-2013   428”
2011-2012   484”
2010-2011   498”
2009-2010   297
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 08:05:31 pm »
I live in the Seattle area, and it really has been a very mild Winter, with no lowland snow where I live and this February has been beautiful.  I was out mowing the lawn yesterday in a short sleeve shirt, and pulling weeds from the tuplip garden which are about 2" high now.

But we rarely have harsh winters. Our winters seem to last about 1 or 2 weeks at most. If it's wet during those 2-weeks you get periods of snow or cold rain. If its dry, it's clear and low temps in the teens.

The worse part of this winter is the low snow amounts in the mountains. Around 4% of normal.

BOSTON - You may have got lucky and took home the Lombardy trophy in a very freakish and unlikely ending to the Super Bowl.    But we in Seattle are enjoying warm sunshine, early barbeques, sipping  cold beer on the deck. So there!

Living well is the best revenge!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!