Author Topic: Senior Labour official quits and urges voters to back Ukip  (Read 667 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Senior Labour official quits and urges voters to back Ukip
« on: February 18, 2015, 12:54:38 am »
Harriet Yeo, a former chairwoman of Labour's ruling National Executive Committee, is understood to have resigned her party membership in protest at Ed Miliband's refusal to support an EU referendum.

She also resigned as leader of the Labour group on Ashford Council and will now sit as an independent councillor.

Ms Yeo is the highest profile Labour figure to give her support to Ukip.

And her resignation follows fears within the party that a handful of Euro-sceptic Labour MPs could defect to the anti-Brussels party.

nigel farageGETTY
Mr Farage said he is 'delighted' by Ms Yeo's support

Ukip leader Nigel Farage said: "I'm delighted that UKIP can now count upon the support of such respected figure as Harriet Yeo.

"A life-long trade unionist and Labour Party member who served as Chair of Ed Miliband's NEC she is yet another voice calling for Britain to have a choice about its future.

"We are welcoming support from across the board and Harriet's support is evidence of this."

Ms Yeo was said to have not formally joined Ukip because of links to other independent councillors but will give the party her support in the run up to the general election.

I'm delighted that UKIP can now count upon the support of such respected figure as Harriet Yeo

Read more: http://report24.co.uk/article/94729/senior-labour-official-quits-and-urges-voters-to-back-ukip
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Senior Labour official quits and urges voters to back Ukip
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 01:34:10 am »

I haven't kept up, how is Ukip doing?  Is this signaling a trend?

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 01:59:56 am »
Not sure what to think. 

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 02:58:17 am »
Kind of like an old beaver dam built of sticks.

First, one stick breaks off.
Then, one or two more.
Then......

Could this happen here, with the Republican party?

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 03:13:11 am »

Then, one or two more.
Then......

I think so.  But I'd sure like to see it in my lifetime!

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 03:15:14 am »

Then, one or two more.
Then......

If the analogy were to be drawn, it would be sticks falling away from the democrat party.  That is what is to be hoped for.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 03:05:22 pm »
I haven't kept up, how is Ukip doing?  Is this signaling a trend?

I'm honestly too close to it to be able to judge well, and am biased by my total detestation for UKIP supporters. So consider that as tempering my look at it.

UKIP has a strong showing in the MEP elections and it is increasing every election. A significant portion of the UK is what could be charitably called "anti-EU" and wants us to have nothing to do with the mess they are creating. That cuts across political lines - Labor, Conservatives and Liberals all seem to lose the same sort of percentage of their core voters to UKIP candidates.

BUT - MEP elections are pretty much considered a joke. Comic relief with no real value or influence. In terms of national elections, UKIP is pretty much a none starter so far. Single issue parties rarely do well - even the Greens have only managed one seat in parliament in years of trying, and that was a protest vote against the Lib Dem candidate who'd normally have a lock on that seat.

So - people are getting upset with the same old shit we get delivered, but I doubt it is to the extent of any significant change in the actual power structure.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 03:40:52 pm »
I'm honestly too close to it to be able to judge well, and am biased by my total detestation for UKIP supporters. So consider that as tempering my look at it.

UKIP has a strong showing in the MEP elections and it is increasing every election. A significant portion of the UK is what could be charitably called "anti-EU" and wants us to have nothing to do with the mess they are creating. That cuts across political lines - Labor, Conservatives and Liberals all seem to lose the same sort of percentage of their core voters to UKIP candidates.

BUT - MEP elections are pretty much considered a joke. Comic relief with no real value or influence. In terms of national elections, UKIP is pretty much a none starter so far. Single issue parties rarely do well - even the Greens have only managed one seat in parliament in years of trying, and that was a protest vote against the Lib Dem candidate who'd normally have a lock on that seat.

So - people are getting upset with the same old shit we get delivered, but I doubt it is to the extent of any significant change in the actual power structure.

Thanks.  You can really see it over the whole world - people's dissatisfaction with their governments.  People don't get up and do something until the discomfort hits them personally, and as long as governments can wring all the money they can print to give people food stamps, unemployment, etc - gov't benefits will serve as a drug to keep the masses pacified.  Meanwhile, the problem keeps getting worse and it won't take much to topple it down.  I keep expecting to wake up some morning and the world will have turned upside down overnight!