Author Topic: After Copenhagen attack, PM urges that Jews move to Israel  (Read 1227 times)

rangerrebew

After Copenhagen attack, PM urges that Jews move to Israel
« on: February 15, 2015, 12:16:42 pm »

After Copenhagen attack, PM urges that Jews move to Israel

‘Once again Jews are murdered on the soil of Europe just for being Jews,’ says PM; Israeli leaders see Islamist motive behind attack

By Times of Israel staff February 15, 2015, 12:25 pm 12

The deadly shooting attack at a Copenhagen synagogue early Sunday would not mark the end of extremist Muslim terror attacks against European Jews, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned at Sunday’s cabinet meeting.

“We send our condolences to the Danish people, and also to the Jewish community in Denmark,” said Netanyahu. “Once again Jews are murdered on the soil of Europe just for being Jews. This wave of terror attacks is expected to continue, including these murderous anti-Semitic attacks.” 

The shooting at the Krystalgade synagogue in downtown Copenhagen came just hours after a deadly shooting at a free-speech event at a local community center that featured an artist who had caricatured the Prophet Muhammad. One person was killed in the earlier shooting, while 38-year-old Dan Uzan, a member of the Copenhagen Jewish community, was killed outside the synagogue. Uzan was guarding the site at the time.

Five police officers were also wounded in the shootings, two of them outside the synagogue. On Sunday, police said they shot and killed a man they believed had carried out both shootings.

Police have not yet released information on the identity or motives of the attacker.

In his statement, Netanyahu called on the Danish Jewish community to move to Israel.

“Obviously Jews deserve protection in every country, but we say to the Jews, to our brothers and sisters: ‘Israel is your home,'” he told cabinet ministers in a prepared statement.

“We are preparing for a wave of mass aliya [Jewish immigration] from Europe; we are calling for a wave of mass aliya from Europe. I want to tell all the Jews of Europe, and Jews wherever they may be: ‘Israel is the home of every Jew… Israel awaits you with open arms,'” he said.

Economy Minister Naftali Bennett, who also serves as Israel’s Diaspora affairs minister, spoke to Jewish community leaders in Denmark Sunday and offered his condolences.

“The State of Israel stands by you in this difficult time, ready to assist in any way,” Bennett said, according to a statement from his office. “We can’t accept that Jews are simply shot on the streets of Europe. We will not let Jews become easy targets for anti-Semitic attacks.”

Foreign Minister Avigdor Liberman said terror incidents in Copenhagen over the weekend prove the need for “a truly uncompromising war against Islamic terror and its causes.”

The Jews, Liberman said, were the canary in the coalmine.

“The string of terror incidents in Copenhagen, at the synagogue and at the free-speech event, prove what we have been saying for years, that Israel and the Jews are the first to experience this terror because they are the front line in the terror war against the West and the entire free world,” the foreign minister insisted.

“The international community in its entirety cannot be satisfied with declarations and demonstrations against this terror, but must throw off the rules of political correctness and conduct and a truly uncompromising war against Islamic terror and its causes,” continued Liberman.

Israel’s Foreign Ministry was in constant contact with the Israeli Embassy in Denmark and is closely following the events, a statement from Liberman’s office said.

World Jewish Congress President Ronald Lauder also condemned the shootings and urged the Danish government to find those responsible, while stepping up efforts to protect the local Jewish community against rising anti-Semitic violence.

“The World Jewish Congress deplores these despicable attacks, and stands in solidarity with the Jewish community and the people of Denmark,” said Lauder. “We are confident the Danish government will take all necessary measures to bring those responsible for these attacks to justice, and we urge them to help secure the local Jewish community against anti-Semitic violence.

“These attacks in Copenhagen follow the similar, brutal targeting of Jews and others in Paris and across Europe,” continued Lauder. “European governments should recognize that we are facing a vicious new wave of anti-Semitism and violence. It is crucial that Europe contends with this growing threat.”

Read more: After Copenhagen attack, PM urges that Jews move to Israel | The Times of Israel http://www.timesofisrael.com/after-copenhagen-attack-pm-urges-that-jews-move-to-israel/#ixzz3RobsMLew
Follow us: @timesofisrael on Twitter | timesofisrael on Facebook

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: After Copenhagen attack, PM urges that Jews move to Israel
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 02:21:16 pm »
First, they came for the Jews - then they came for the Christians.  When I was a child,  they promised all kinds of new things in the future - I wasn't expecting a new Dark Ages.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline olde north church

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 02:27:37 pm »
They should start by moving their wealth to Israel first.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 03:15:18 pm »
They should start by moving their wealth to Israel first.

That's what talks the loudest, money!

Offline olde north church

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 03:31:40 pm »
That's what talks the loudest, money!

It would also prevent what Hitler did.  Stealing wealth while the owners went up in smoke.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 03:51:40 pm »
It would also prevent what Hitler did.  Stealing wealth while the owners went up in smoke.

Yep.  This is an unbelievable thing to be witnessing.  Almost takes your breath away.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 05:08:36 pm »
I fear he is fueling anti-semitism by depicting European Jews as NON European. I don't know what Bibi's endgame is, but he is running the very high risk of isolating Jews worldwide--making them an even more attractive target.

This new tactic is also likely to further isolate Netanyahu--and by extension his nation state-- from Western leaders.  He's already running out his welcome and this will not help.

I know election season in Israel is sliding to a photo finish, but someone needs to remind Mr. Netanyahu that every now and then it is not only okay not to speak and inflame world events--but not speaking may also be helpful to Israel and Jews worldwide. 

I'm weary of hoping for some polished diplomacy from Israel's current Prime Minister.   :shrug:

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 05:17:58 pm »
I fear he is fueling anti-semitism by depicting European Jews as NON European. I don't know what Bibi's endgame is, but he is running the very high risk of isolating Jews worldwide--making them an even more attractive target.

This new tactic is also likely to further isolate Netanyahu--and by extension his nation state-- from Western leaders.  He's already running out his welcome and this will not help.

I know election season in Israel is sliding to a photo finish, but someone needs to remind Mr. Netanyahu that every now and then it is not only okay not to speak and inflame world events--but not speaking may also be helpful to Israel and Jews worldwide. 

I'm weary of hoping for some polished diplomacy from Israel's current Prime Minister.   :shrug:

What the hell do you want from him?  What leverage does he have without the blessing of the current occupant in the White House?

It's the height of naivety to think Iran hasn't received tech assistance from the US since 2009 in their quest for a nuclear weapon.  Our very own president is betraying the welfare of the USA and its allies.   

And here you are, suggesting that Bibi cancel his Congressional speech.....nice.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 05:42:16 pm »
Yes.  I pray for Israel and Netanyahu!  They are increasingly isolated - not through any fault of their own. 

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 11:40:26 pm »
What the hell do you want from him?  What leverage does he have without the blessing of the current occupant in the White House?

It's the height of naivety to think Iran hasn't received tech assistance from the US since 2009 in their quest for a nuclear weapon.  Our very own president is betraying the welfare of the USA and its allies.   

And here you are, suggesting that Bibi cancel his Congressional speech.....nice.

1.  What the hell do I want from Bibi Netanyahu?  Truth.  I want him to stop lying and I want him to honestly join the world for a peaceful resolution to the Israeli/Palestinian ongoing wars.  I want to know the specifics of Mr. Netanyahu's plan for peace with the Palestinians.

2.  If Iran is close to a nuclear weapon aimed at Israel, as Mr. Netanyahu has been saying since 1992, I want PM Benjamin Netanyahu to explain why the IDF has never acted to end this threat.  And I want to know what he wants now--today--from America's sons and daughters to neutralize this "existential" threat. 

3.  I never mentioned anything about the journey to stand in the well of the US House of Representatives and restate what he has been saying since 1992.   In all candor, I am hoping if it's politically expedient for BiBi to travel and give his speech (and that will be the deciding factor), he leaves his bomb cartoon on the plane.

4.  I will restate the opinion in my original post (apparently the one you responded to):  Netanyahu needs to be aware that his constant calls of anti-Semitism, especially in Europe, will easily become a self-fulfilled prophecy.  Israel needs a leader with some diplomatic skills.  And, as twenty years of history proves, that simply is not Benjamin Netanyahu.

5.  DC....don't confuse my dislike of Benjamin Netanyahu and his regime for a dislike of the Israeli people.  That tactic would be beneath you and would diminish us both.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 12:25:22 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 12:22:52 am »
1.  What the hell do I want from Bibi Netanyahu?  Truth.  I want him to stop lying and I want him to honestly join the world for a peaceful resolution to the Israeli/Palestinian ongoing wars.  I want to know the specifics of Mr. Netanyahu's plan for peace with the Palestinians.

2.  If Iran is close to a nuclear weapon aimed at Israel, as Mr. Netanyahu has been saying since 1992, I want PM Benjamin Netanyahu to explain why the IDF has never acted to end this threat.  And I want to know what he wants now--today--from America's sons and daughters to neutralize this "existential" threat. 

3.  I never mentioned anything about the journey to stand in the well of the US House of Representatives and restate what he has been saying since 1992.   In all candor, I am hoping if it's politically expedient for BiBi to travel and give his speech (and that will be the deciding factor), he leaves his bomb cartoon on the plane.

4.  I will restate the opinion in my original post (apparently the one you responded to):  Netanyahu needs to be aware that his constant calls of anti-Semitism, especially in Europe, will easily become a self-fulfilled prophecy.  Israel needs a leader with some diplomatic skills.  And, as twenty years of history proves, that simply is not Benjamin Netanyahu.

5.  DC....don't confuse my dislike of Benjamin Netanyahu and his regime for a dislike of the Israeli people.  That tactic is beneath you and diminishes us both.

Thanks.

Your dislike of Netanyahu clouds your judgment.

If you don't see the existential threat to Jews in Europe, then you're blind.Bibi is responding to that. Anti-Semitism has risen in Europe in direct proportion to the the increase in Islamic immigration. The more Muslims you see in France, Britain, and other "englightened" nations, the more Jew hatred. Thus it has always been and thus it will always be.

Islamism brings the strangulation of freedom of speech, religion, and liberty in general. That is being demonstrated before our very eyes. Netanyahu is simply recognizing that and is throwing a lifeline to the Jews who can no longer wear distinctive garb (unlike the burqa-clad Islamics) or are in fear of going to synagogue.

By the way, encouraging these Jews to go to Israel will help strengthen the population there. If Obama has his way, Palies will outnumber Jews in Israel, assuring doom to the state of Israel. Netanyahu has outlined his plan for a two-state solution. Abu Mazen won't agree to it because he demands the right of return, which Israel will never agree to.

My suspicion is your anger at Bibi goes deeper than just a focus on one man.  I hope I'm wrong but your knee-jerk opposition to all things Israeli has been evident to me for two years now.

Anti-Israel is usually just a cover for something more sinister.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 12:24:15 am by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 12:29:09 am »

5.  DC....don't confuse my dislike of Benjamin Netanyahu and his regime for a dislike of the Israeli people.  That tactic is beneath you and diminishes us both.

Thanks.

I didn't use any "tactics", RinV.   

And I surely didn't 'get' anything else beyond your original criticism of Netanyahu...to include the "Israeli people".   Now I know how one feels when the race card is used on them.  LOL!

And I also doubt your implied poll numbers on the coming Israeli election.

It makes no sense for any living Jew....let alone one residing in Israel...to elect an appeaser. 

That 'I' have one that stands up to Barack Obama...a bonus.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 12:48:55 am »
Your dislike of Netanyahu clouds your judgment.

My suspicion is your anger at Bibi goes deeper than just a focus on one man.  I hope I'm wrong but your knee-jerk opposition to all things Israeli has been evident to me for two years now.

Anti-Israel is usually just a cover for something more sinister.

No, my dislike of Netanyahu does not cloud my  judgment.  My dislike of the man and his policies comes after many years of learning, research and struggling against what my chosen political party expects of me.  Based on all I've learned, I stand with our former Secretary of State, Mr. Baker.  I agree the then FM of Israel should have and was rightfully barred from the US State Department.  I'm still struggling with Mr. Gates' opinion that Mr. Netanyahu should have also been barred from the WH.

Netanyahu is a glorious, silver-tonged flame thrower.  And that role has a place.  But that place is not as the prime minister.  Netanyahu lacks any shred of diplomacy--the magnificent art of winning others to your side.  And every nation, including Israel, needs a leader with skills that includes both soundbite  worthy rhetoric AND back room diplomatic skills.  Netanyahu offers only the first.  Israel deserves both.

As for my dislike of the Netanyahu regime going deeper than one man---no it does not.  It's a fair question and I'm glad you asked it.  I do not like where Netanyahu is leading the Israeli people.  I think Israel deserves more and better in their leader than Netanyahu offers.  Fear. even chaos, have their place----but they're not a platform for peace, prosperity and security.  And that is what I wish for Israel:  Peace, prosperity and security.  I pray Israel has the courage to change from Netanyahu in the upcoming elections.

And, lastly, there is nothing sinister about my opinion that the leadership of Benjamin Netanyahu has harmed both the worldview and future of the Israeli people.  I feel the same about the leadership of Barack Obama and the American people.  Sometimes leaders just need to be replaced.  I believe at this moment in time this is true for both Americans and Israelis.

Thanks.

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 01:12:24 am »
I didn't use any "tactics", RinV.   

And I surely didn't 'get' anything else beyond your original criticism of Netanyahu...to include the "Israeli people".   Now I know how one feels when the race card is used on them.  LOL!

And I also doubt your implied poll numbers on the coming Israeli election.

It makes no sense for any living Jew....let alone one residing in Israel...to elect an appeaser. 

That 'I' have one that stands up to Barack Obama...a bonus.

I didn't imply anything about poll numbers on the coming Israeli election.  Heavens, if I had that information, I'd make a fortune!   ^-^

I'm not suggesting Israel elect an "appeaser".  I'm simply pointing out that after 20 years on the scene Netanyahu has not tangibly addressed Israel's security problems AND he has worn out his global welcome.  He's a flame thrower.  Granted, he's  lasted longer than most, but he's a flame thrower none-the less.

I'm hoping for a new face for Israel--and behind that face a leader who values diplomacy,  Diplomacy is, after all, the art of winning others to your side.  And Netanyahu doesn't have that gift.

I, too, applaud those who stand up to Barack Obama.  Personally, I'd prefer Republican efforts be focused on America's borders, illegal immigration, Obamacare, taxes, ISIS---well, you see where I'm going with his.   I will continue to hope. 

Have a good Sunday evening.  I'm sure we'll "chat" later.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 01:54:16 am »
No, my dislike of Netanyahu does not cloud my  judgment.  My dislike of the man and his policies comes after many years of learning, research and struggling against what my chosen political party expects of me.  Based on all I've learned, I stand with our former Secretary of State, Mr. Baker.  I agree the then FM of Israel should have and was rightfully barred from the US State Department.  I'm still struggling with Mr. Gates' opinion that Mr. Netanyahu should have also been barred from the WH.

Netanyahu is a glorious, silver-tonged flame thrower.  And that role has a place.  But that place is not as the prime minister.  Netanyahu lacks any shred of diplomacy--the magnificent art of winning others to your side.  And every nation, including Israel, needs a leader with skills that includes both soundbite  worthy rhetoric AND back room diplomatic skills.  Netanyahu offers only the first.  Israel deserves both.

As for my dislike of the Netanyahu regime going deeper than one man---no it does not.  It's a fair question and I'm glad you asked it.  I do not like where Netanyahu is leading the Israeli people.  I think Israel deserves more and better in their leader than Netanyahu offers.  Fear. even chaos, have their place----but they're not a platform for peace, prosperity and security.  And that is what I wish for Israel:  Peace, prosperity and security.  I pray Israel has the courage to change from Netanyahu in the upcoming elections.

And, lastly, there is nothing sinister about my opinion that the leadership of Benjamin Netanyahu has harmed both the worldview and future of the Israeli people.  I feel the same about the leadership of Barack Obama and the American people.  Sometimes leaders just need to be replaced.  I believe at this moment in time this is true for both Americans and Israelis.

Thanks.

I could not disagree with you more about Netanyahu.  Baker and HW Bush were not friends to Israel, and Robert Gates compromised his credibility by working for Obama.   Bibi is a warrior.  Ehud Barak was a warrior too and offered the best deal the Palies are ever going to get in 1999 and Yassir Arafat spit on it. 

The problem is not the leader of Israel.  The problem is the Palestinian leadership and, now, the ridiculous partnership with Hamas in Gaza.  And Iran. Only Netanyahu seems to grasp the severity of the Iranian problem; more than Tsizpi Livni and certainly more than Barak Obama. He is the leader for the times, and he will be chosen, again, to lead the nation of Israel.

Sorry if the dickhead in the WH can't stand him.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Oceander

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 02:39:29 am »

There is only one response that deserves:  /snicker

You mean joining those "peaceful" Palestinians who use every cease fire, every concession by Israel to lob missiles at Israel?

Get real.