Author Topic: Why do GOP candidates keep stumbling on evolution? By Byron York  (Read 17367 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Re: Why do GOP candidates keep stumbling on evolution? By Byron York
« Reply #200 on: February 18, 2015, 05:40:42 pm »
You do realize that the article said that after studying finch 'evolution' for 30 years, it was "unpredictable", "unidirectional to oscillating, episodic to gradual".  In other words,  the finch populations fluctuated around certain parameters and went nowhere. 

The fact that life is adaptable does not mean that it 'evolves'.  This is just more of the usual logical fallacy of Affirming the Consequent.

If I want to learn something, I always go in the opposite direction of Luis' posts...

What do you believe the difference is between adaptation and evolution?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 05:41:45 pm by Dex4974 »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #201 on: February 18, 2015, 07:07:13 pm »
Asking any candidate about his or her views on evolution is a complete distraction. After nine pages of discussion here, look like we've fallen for it, too.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #202 on: February 18, 2015, 07:13:26 pm »
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #203 on: February 19, 2015, 03:16:09 am »
What do you believe the difference is between adaptation and evolution?

Gotta love the crickets.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Carling

« Reply #204 on: February 19, 2015, 05:50:45 am »
Gotta love the crickets.

It's already been discussed.  We agree on adaptation, but there is no proof that has anything to do with one species evolving into a new species. 
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #205 on: February 19, 2015, 06:49:18 am »
Bit of a cop out.

"Thus far and no further."
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #206 on: February 19, 2015, 07:30:07 am »
Aquinas said that faith and reason go hand-in-hand, and I believe that completely.  How someone who utilizes the ironclad laws of physics on a daily basis can then believe that dinosaurs roamed the earth with humans is just beyond me.
People called them dragons then.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RigZ-c7tqY4

I like science.  I think it is very good at explaining somethings like chemical reactions and aerodynamic designs.  With questions like "Why do we exist, and how did we get here?" you have to take a lot on faith.

First there was nothing...then it exploded.
Rocks evolved into life.
Piltdown Man is the missing link.

I don't trust scientists to question the theory of man made global warming against increased sun spot activity or volcano activity.  That is stuff that is happening today.  Will they question what the text books say happened 1 million years ago or 50 million years ago?

I don't know if the Earth is billions of years old or 6,000 years old, but I do know that until recently the scientists believed the universe was expanding at a decelerated rate.  Now they have discovered that the universe is accelerating in it's expansion.  The ironclad law of gravity needs a rework.  To explain it, the scientist have divined a un-seeable undetectable mysterious force called "Dark Energy."  Sounds like witchcraft to me.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 07:32:14 am by Once-Ler »

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #207 on: February 20, 2015, 04:28:19 pm »
The guy who blogs Darwin's God might be interesting to some.

"Cornelius G. Hunter is a graduate of the University of Illinois where he earned a Ph.D. in Biophysics and Computational Biology. He is Adjunct Professor at Biola University and author of the award-winning Darwin’s God: Evolution and the Problem of Evil. Hunter’s other books include Darwin’s Proof, and his newest book Science’s Blind Spot (Baker/Brazos Press). Dr. Hunter's interest in the theory of evolution involves the historical and theological, as well as scientific, aspects of the theory."

Evolution in a nutshell

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan