Author Topic: Scientists at a US science conference have said it is now time to actively try to contact intelligent life on other worlds.  (Read 1057 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline PzLdr

Spend the money on trying to find intelligent life in the U.S government instead.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline GourmetDan

Spend the money on trying to find intelligent life in the U.S government instead.

I'm thinking that looking for intelligent life in outer space would be a better use of the money...    :silly:

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline PzLdr

I'm thinking that looking for intelligent life in outer space would be a better use of the money...    :silly:

You're probably right. Depressingly so. And more likely to be successful.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline kevindavis007

I don't mind, however, I want to make sure a civilization that we contact is friendly..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL

I don't mind, however, I want to make sure a civilization that we contact is friendly..

The scary part is having no way to guarantee that. Any civilization capable of traversing space will be so much more technologically advanced that we would just have to hope they wouldn't destroy/enslave humanity. Humans regularly destroy animal habitats because it helps our own survival by giving us space and resources. An alien race might see Earth as a great resource and our extinction as acceptable collateral damage.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 02:49:57 am by Dex4974 »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Oceander

The scary part is having no way to guarantee that. Any civilization capable of traversing space will be so much more technologically advanced that we would just have to hope they wouldn't destroy/enslave humanity. Humans regularly destroy animal habitats because it helps our own survival by giving us space and resources. An alien race might see Earth as a great resource and our extinction as acceptable collateral damage.

I'm not sure the Earth would be seen as particularly resource-rich from the perspective of a species that can transport hundreds or even thousands of individuals within a time-frame that is no more than a small percentage of each individual's life span.

The comets, Neptune, and Uranus all contain substantially more water than does the Earth.  The asteroid belt (and, most likely, the "junk" left over in the outer clouds orbiting the Solar System) contain more metals than does the Earth.

And those resources are all farther away from the Sun, and therefore not so deep into the Sun's gravity well.  Going after those resources before you venture down the gravity well to Earth is much more likely.