Exclusive Content > The Last Wire

Two Legendary Pictures

(1/3) > >>

Luis Gonzalez:
There are things that you've know for so long that you forget that you knew them.

Just got an email from a cousin with a better memory than mine. Attached to that email, two pictures that I'd like to share with you.

Let me give you some background, and warn you that these pictures tend to disappear from the Internet nearly as fast as they are posted. Forgive me for using Wikipedia, it is only out of expediency that I do:

--- Quote ---The Venceremos Brigade is a politically motivated international organization founded in 1969 by members of the Students for a Democratic Society and officials of the Republic of Cuba.[1] Carl Oglesby, Bernardine Dohrn, Julie Nichamin, Brian Murphy, Allen Young and other members of SDS were primarily responsible for the idea, organization and negotiations with Carlos Rafael Rodríguez[2] and other members of the Cuban government. The first trip in November 1969 numbered 216[3] and left from Czechoslovakia to skirt the U.S. government's restrictions on travel to the island.[2] It was formed as a coalition of young people attempting to show solidarity with the Cuban Revolution by working side by side with Cuban workers, challenging U.S. policies towards Cuba, including the United States embargo against Cuba. The yearly brigade trips, which as of 2010 have brought more than 9,000 people to Cuba, continue today and are coordinated with the Pastors For Peace Friendship Caravans to Cuba.[4]

The first Brigades participated in sugar harvests and subsequent Brigades have done agricultural and construction work in many parts of the island, although the "work" portion of their trips has become largely symbolic.[5]

According to debriefing statements made to the FBI by a Cuban Intelligence officer who defected in 1983, the Veceremos Brigade was controlled by Cuban Intelligence officer Alfredo Garcia Almeida, chief of the North American Section of the Americas Department and former political counselor at the Cuban Mission to the United Nations in New York City.[6]

Despite this accusation, the organization as a whole has experienced little censure from U.S. authorities. But the FBI has questioned individual travellers over the years. In 2010, at least 12 brigade participants were visited by FBI agents, but were left in peace when they declined to be interviewed.[7]

A contingent of Latinos led by the Young Lords' Field Marshals David Rivera and Raul Lugo traveled from the Young Lords People's Church in Chicago in 1969.
--- End quote ---

Here's the money quote:

The first trip in November 1969 numbered 216[3] and left from Czechoslovakia to skirt the U.S. government's restrictions on travel to the island.[2] It was formed as a coalition of young people attempting to show solidarity with the Cuban Revolution by working side by side with Cuban workers, challenging U.S. policies towards Cuba, including the United States embargo against Cuba.

Here are two pictures from that trip:

The top picture shows a young American member of the Venceremos Brigade cutting sugar cane in Cuba. The second shows the same young American woman plowing Cuban fields in 1969.

The young woman in both pictures is Wellesley graduate and newly registered Democrat (was a registered Republican until 1968) Hillary Rodham. 

Lando Lincoln:
Incredible. Thanks for such a stunning post.

Scottftlc:
Maybe it's just me but neither of those pictures bears any resemblance to other pics I've seen of her in her early days with Bill.

Oceander:
Of a piece with Jane Fonda.

mystery-ak:
Neither one of those is Hillary

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version