Author Topic: All, Hail Abe!  (Read 1199 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
All, Hail Abe!
« on: February 12, 2015, 10:18:26 pm »
All, Hail Abe!
By Brion McClanahan

Today we celebrate the birthday of the log cabin born, rough-hewn, rail-splitting, bare-knuckled, “pock-faced, stoop-shouldered, slab-sided assistant storekeeper,” lewd, vulgar, uninspiring, “ordinary Western man” from Illinois, Abraham Lincoln.

Lincoln’s life and image is a series of irreconcilable dichotomies:

He had no military experience worth noting—he waged war on wild onion fields during the Black Hawk War and cleaned up the dead following two battles—yet personally led the largest military effort in the history of the United States to that point, often sleeping in the War Department and personally appointing and replacing generals at will.

He had little education or understanding of American government and virtually no political experience, yet is considered by most Americans to be the greatest statesman and political theorist in American history.

His had a profitable career as a highly paid attorney representing big business in Illinois and a fine home across from the capital in Springfield, yet Lincoln is portrayed as a successful “man of the people.”

He is characterized as the heir to the Jeffersonian tradition, yet his stand against State’s rights and federalism is in sharp contrast to Jefferson’s political philosophy of decentralization.

He called for 75,000 troops to put down a “rebellion” he instigated by telling Republicans not to compromise with the South in the months before the War (even having William H. Seward feign sick to avoid meeting with commissioners from South Carolina interested in settling pressing financial matters between the two governments) and by insisting on provisioning Fort Sumter when his leading military advisors warned that it would start a war, the “desired effect” as Lincoln later said, yet he is viewed today as the president reluctantly dragged into a war he did not want.

He had no declaration of war and by default according to the Constitution committed treason against the States, “waging war against them,” yet Lincoln is often viewed as the man who saved the Constitution.

He insisted a government “of the people, by the people, and for the people” must not perish from the earth, and yet waged war against thirteen popularly elected State governments and one central government formed on the principle of self-determination.

He favored colonization of free blacks, never believed in racial equality, consistently stated his goal was to save the Union and not end slavery, and allowed slavery to continue in the “border” States of Maryland and Delaware during the War, yet is revered as the “Great Emancipator.”

He wanted to let the South “up easy” and spoke of “malice toward none,” yet condoned large scale total war operations in the final years of the war and refused to exchange or properly care for tens of thousands of Confederate prisoners of war, even after Union medical professionals pleaded for better supplies.

He spoke of liberty and free government, and yet had over ten thousand Northerners arrested for dissent during the War (many of whom languished in prison for the duration of the conflict), had half of the democratically elected Maryland legislature thrown in jail, unconstitutionally suspended the writ of habeas corpus, had partisan hacks in the United States Postal Service search and confiscate mail from political opponents, and supported the illegal placement of troops at polling places and the suppression of free elections.

He is often seen as the embodiment of popular will, yet he received only 39 percent of the total popular vote in 1860 (with over 80 percent voter participation), the second lowest in percentage for a victorious candidate in American history, and squeaked by in 1864 even though a Union victory appeared more likely at the time of the election and wide-spread voter fraud boosted his vote total.

He is considered to be the best president in American history, yet the three living former presidents at the time (Buchanan, Pierce, and Fillmore) all characterized his actions during the War as unconstitutional usurpations of power.

“Honest Abe” was a politician. Perhaps nothing more needs to be said.

more at:  http://www.abbevilleinstitute.org/blog/all-hail-abe/

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Lando Lincoln

Re: All, Hail Abe!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 10:32:47 pm »
Thanks for posting this.  A more enigmatic figure would be difficult to find. 

I suspect a (perhaps raging) discussion to follow.  I will abstain respectfully and with gratitude for the post.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 10:53:41 pm »
Thanks for posting this.  A more enigmatic figure would be difficult to find. 

I suspect a (perhaps raging) discussion to follow.  I will abstain respectfully and with gratitude for the post.

LOL!  Yeah, seems a lot of 'folks' have been a bit jumpy and agitated lately. 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 10:56:30 pm »
He called for 75,000 troops to put down a “rebellion” he instigated by telling Republicans not to compromise with the South in the months before the War (even having William H. Seward feign sick to avoid meeting with commissioners from South Carolina interested in settling pressing financial matters between the two governments) and by insisting on provisioning Fort Sumter when his leading military advisors warned that it would start a war, the “desired effect” as Lincoln later said, yet he is viewed today as the president reluctantly dragged into a war he did not want.

Wonder how he would be viewed if he had failed to reunite the union? 

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 10:58:53 pm »
Wonder how he would be viewed if he had failed to reunite the union?

Imagine if all of us here in the forum were neighbors to one another back while Abe Lincoln was president.

....with no 20/20 hindsight, of course.   :laugh:

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 11:04:18 pm »
Imagine if all of us here in the forum were neighbors to one another back while Abe Lincoln was president.

That is the hardest thing for me to get my head around.  It is one thing to have to fight someone from another country but to fight your neighbors/family/friends would really be difficult.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 11:07:38 pm »
His had a profitable career as a highly paid attorney representing big business in Illinois and a fine home across from the capital in Springfield, yet Lincoln is portrayed as a successful “man of the people.”

Apparently they had 'post-turtles' back then too...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline musiclady

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 11:12:05 pm »

What's impossible for me to grasp is that some of us would be enemies of each other.

I think that's one of the things that fascinates us (at least some of us) about the Civil War.  We and they were both us! 

Oh........... and Happy Birthday, Abe!  I'm from Ohio, right near the Lincoln Highway, and we love you up here.  ^-^

(I'm very thankful that our Tennessee family and friends aren't in another country!)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 11:13:53 pm by musiclady »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 11:19:09 pm »
Article biased towards Southern perspective, which is as with many things, typified by a narrow but loud minority.

My ancestors were all Northerners, Westerners. Some living in New York state were among the early religious abolitionists, involved with the Republican Party early on. Another was Elijah Parrish Lovejoy, a New England preacher and newspaper publisher who was murdered by slavery advocates, while living in Alton Illinois. Others were Mormons, who opposed slavery, as well. 
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 11:43:05 pm »
What's impossible for me to grasp is that some of us would be enemies of each other.

I think that's one of the things that fascinates us (at least some of us) about the Civil War.  We and they were both us! 

Oh........... and Happy Birthday, Abe!  I'm from Ohio, right near the Lincoln Highway, and we love you up here.  ^-^

(I'm very thankful that our Tennessee family and friends aren't in another country!)

I think that is why the Civil War is going to be the most costly war in American history no matter what war we will fight in the future.  Happy Birthday Abe!!! He is one of my top 3 Presidents.. (Along with George Washington and Ronald Reagan).
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 11:44:11 pm »
He was as strong as an ox. Used to carry 200lb buckets of stones around for training.
He was a highly effective bare knuckle fighter and a wrestler without equal.
He ran a bar for several years with a partner.

The real man is WAY more interesting than the legends.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 12:15:17 am »
He was as strong as an ox. Used to carry 200lb buckets of stones around for training.
He was a highly effective bare knuckle fighter and a wrestler without equal.
He ran a bar for several years with a partner.

The real man is WAY more interesting than the legends.

He certainly had indomitable will.
John Steinbeck

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 12:17:10 am »
If ever in the neighborhood stop at the new Lincoln Museum in Springfield Il...then swing by and see me..lol
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 12:22:44 am »
If ever in the neighborhood stop at the new Lincoln Museum in Springfield Il...then swing by and see me..lol
I will. I get down there with some regularity.
John Steinbeck

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 12:25:09 am »
I will. I get down there with some regularity.

I must go there as well.... Is it worth it??
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 12:28:34 am »

I must go there as well.... Is it worth it??

Absolutely. It is exceptionally well done. 
John Steinbeck

Offline musiclady

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 12:38:59 am »
Absolutely. It is exceptionally well done.

My husband and I have talked about going there.

On your recommendation, we will!!  :patriot:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2015, 12:42:29 am »
That is the hardest thing for me to get my head around.  It is one thing to have to fight someone from another country but to fight your neighbors/family/friends would really be difficult.

Just look at most political conversations on the internet and you'll suddenly realize that it would be easier than you think.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2015, 12:45:43 am »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2015, 12:47:18 am »
Let's see. Destroyed Federalism. Turned states into satrapies. Suspended Habeas Corpus. Ignored the right of secession in the Declaration of Independence, and turned the United States into a crime family in the sense of once in, never out. Not my favorite President.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2015, 12:48:01 am »
Just look at most political conversations on the internet and you'll suddenly realize that it would be easier than you think.

All too true.   But, to what I was referring was the wanton disregard for States Rights and civil liberties.

LOL!  We'd be calling for his head, and some of us would have toasted John Wilkes Booth.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2015, 12:51:48 am »
Let's see. Destroyed Federalism. Turned states into satrapies. Suspended Habeas Corpus. Ignored the right of secession in the Declaration of Independence, and turned the United States into a crime family in the sense of once in, never out. Not my favorite President.

Nor mine! Not by a long shot!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2015, 01:00:03 am »

Look at the Civil War II keyboard Generals wannabes... Why people want a 2nd Civil War is beyond me.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2015, 01:27:51 am »
LOL!  Yeah, seems a lot of 'folks' have been a bit jumpy and agitated lately.

:Obounce:

Who's jumpy