Author Topic: Obama Claims Axelrod Lying About his Gay Marriage Lie  (Read 376 times)

rangerrebew

Obama Claims Axelrod Lying About his Gay Marriage Lie
« on: February 12, 2015, 11:23:28 am »
FrontPage Magazine - http://www.frontpagemag.com -

Obama Claims Axelrod Lying About his Gay Marriage Lie

Posted By Daniel Greenfield On February 11, 2015 @ 11:57 am In The Point | 61 Comments

So many lies, so little time.

So Obama’s henchman, David Axelrod came out with a memoir filled with assorted quotable claims. Like claiming that Obama thought that Romney’s concession call was racist. (Romney’s people claim that Axelrod is lying.) And that Obama lied about his opposition to gay marriage. Now Obama is saying that Axelrod is misrepresenting his lie.

He disputed, however, the contention of his former top political adviser, David Axelrod, that he had misled voters in 2008 when he opposed marriage equality. Axelrod wrote in his new memoir that Obama “modified” his position because his aides worried about alienating black Christian leaders, and then complained that he didn’t like “bullshitting” voters about it.

“I think David is mixing up my personal feelings with my position on the issue,” Obama said. “I always felt that same-sex couples should be able to enjoy the same rights, legally, as anybody else, and so it was frustrating to me not to, I think, be able to square that with what were a whole bunch of religious sensitivities out there.”

Obama said he believed at the time that civil unions were “a sufficient way of squaring the circle,” but that “the pain and the sense of stigma that was being placed on same-sex couples who are friends of [his]” changed his mind.

“I think the notion that somehow I was always in favor of marriage per se isn’t quite accurate,” Obama said. “The old questionnaire … is an example of struggling with what was a real issue at the time, which is, how do you make sure that people’s rights are enjoyed and these religious sensitivities were taken into account?”

Obama keeps talking about religious sensitivities, rather than beliefs, a line that is rather revealing.

He insists that his personal feelings and position are two separate things, a clear example of lying. And he continues insisting that he in some way evolved on the issue after struggling with it. But here’s what Obama said at the time.

Axelrod writes that he knew Obama was in favor of same-sex marriages during the first presidential campaign, even as Obama publicly said he only supported civil unions, not full marriages. Axelrod also admits to counseling Obama to conceal that position for political reasons. “Opposition to gay marriage was particularly strong in the black church, and as he ran for higher office, he grudgingly accepted the counsel of more pragmatic folks like me, and modified his position to support civil unions rather than marriage, which he would term a ‘sacred union,’ ” Axelrod writes.

Obama told Rick Warren’s Saddleback Church that marriage could only extend to heterosexual couples. “I believe that marriage is the union between a man and a woman,” Obama said at the time. “Now, for me as a Christian — for me — for me as a Christian, it is also a sacred union. God’s in the mix.”

Obama wasn’t just coming out against gay marriage. He was faking a religious belief opposed to gay marriage.

That was a blatant and dishonest lie. Obama was claiming a religious belief that he never actually had. While covering up a belief in gay marriage that he did have.

He never struggled with anything since he had supported gay marriage all along. And he still insists on lying about it.

And his extremism on gay relationships has only become more openly extreme.

All 50 states should be forced by the Supreme Court to have marriage laws that endorse same-sex couples, President Barack Obama told Buzzfeed.

Courts and voters have changed marriage laws in many states, so “having hit a critical mass of states that have recognized same-sex marriage — it doesn’t make sense for us to now have this patchwork system,” Obama told Buzzfeed in an interview published Wednesday.

In 2012, he declared his personal support to single-sex marriage, but said the issue should be debated in the states.

So much struggle. So many lies. Next Obama will announce that everyone must be forced into a gay marriage.

Article printed from FrontPage Magazine: http://www.frontpagemag.com

URL to article: http://www.frontpagemag.com/2015/dgreenfield/obama-claims-axelrod-lying-about-his-gay-marriage-lie/