Author Topic: Down, But Not Out? Harry Reid, 75, Eyes Sixth Senate Term  (Read 352 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Down, But Not Out? Harry Reid, 75, Eyes Sixth Senate Term
« on: February 11, 2015, 09:59:03 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=624209

Newsmax
Down, But Not Out? Harry Reid, 75, Eyes Sixth Senate Term
Wednesday, February 11, 2015 03:26 PM

By: John Blosser

With five terms under his belt, Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nev., the Senate Minority Leader, still hasn't had enough.

Reid, sporting bandages over his right eye and some ugly bruises from a freakish accident at his Las Vegas home on New Year's Day, largely has been absent and recuperating during the first part of the present Senate session, leading to speculation that he might be considering retirement, The Washington Post noted.

However, he gathered 50 staff members Tuesday at the Mansfield Room at the Capitol and announced to a round of applause, "I'm running," Politico reports.

Reid, 75, had added to the speculation when he commented to reporters he was planning to run "at this stage" last Thursday, Politico noted. However, he left no equivocation when asked directly if he was 100 percent sure he would run, and replied, "the answer is yes."

Reid was to undergo a second surgery to restore vision in his right eye Wednesday at George Washington University Hospital. When an exercise band he was using snapped, Reid crashed into a cabinet, breaking four ribs and shattering the bones around his eye.

He has since been recuperating at his condo at the Ritz-Carlton in Washington and expects to return to the Senate full time by Feb. 23.

"We have quite an operation in Nevada that hasn't lost a step. We're off and running," Reid told Politico.

If he wins another term, Reid would be 83 upon completing it. He still has well over a year before the filing deadline in Nevada to back out, but in his address to staff, the Post reports, he was firm in stating that he will seek re-election.

The Post reports that Reid's staff is seeking a campaign manager and already is seeking contributions for his campaign.

Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval has been pressed by Republicans to mount a challenge against Reid, Politico notes, but it is considered unlikely that he will run.

Reid told Politico Tuesday: "Well, my recovery is going fine. They've done some good work reconstructing my face so I have the sides both match. Tomorrow, they're going to go and do some other stuff, and I hope it all works out well."

Reid had returned briefly Feb. 2 to address the Senate, give his thanks for their concern during his recovery and urge passage of a Homeland Security bill "with no strings attached to it."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34