Author Topic: Should we really be happy to see Brian Williams go?  (Read 719 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Should we really be happy to see Brian Williams go?
« on: February 09, 2015, 02:26:22 pm »
http://hotair.com/archives/2015/02/09/should-we-really-be-happy-to-see-brian-williams-go/?utm_source=hafbp&utm_medium=fbpage&utm_campaign=haupdate

Should we really be happy to see Brian Williams go?
POSTED AT 8:01 AM ON FEBRUARY 9, 2015 BY JAZZ SHAW

Tonight will not be the first time that NBC Evening News goes on the air without Brian Williams at the desk. The man takes vacations, after all. But it will be the first night without him since he announced that he would be stepping aside while they dealt with the chopper whopper situation. This might drag on longer than he originally forecast, since he has also cancelled his 22nd scheduled appearance on David Letterman’s show. Of course, it’s still possible that Williams will return as if nothing has happened after he gives things a week or so to cool down. (The fact that NBC isn’t even doing an investigation could hint at this being the case.) But the possibility still exists that Williams could actually be gone.

If so, was this a good outcome for the rest of the country? I had some time to reflect on this over the weekend and I’m not so sure this is a cut and dried story. The first question I would put forward is to ask precisely what the nature of Williams’ crime was. Obviously it’s not the same thing as Dan Rather’s fake but accurate Bush documents story. Even the Katrina story (which is also under scrutiny) didn’t seem to run into the area of falsifying the facts of the flood and the response, but just colorful additions to what he witnessed. The reports about the actual news on the ground which he sent back didn’t seem to be in question in Iraq.

In the end, Williams’ lies seem to be more along the lines of your crazy, drunken Uncle Mel who shows up for holiday dinners and tells vastly expanded fishing tales. Now, I fully understand that the preceding analogy breaks down very quickly. Uncle Mel is only speaking to a tiny audience, all of whom probably know that he was sneaking a few shots of gin before lunch was even served, and nobody is going to base any important decisions on the accuracy of Mel’s recounting of his adventures. Brian Williams reports the news, and if he was being dishonest about his own puffed up history, it calls into question the rest of his reporting. I get it.

I suppose what I’m really getting at here is more a question of why we seem to take such particular glee in seeing somebody of Williams’ stature being brought down. I’m not innocent of this by any means. I had more than my fair share of entries in the #BrianWilliamsMisremembers hashtag game on Twitter. (Probably the share of several other people as well, to be honest.) But we seem to really pile on to a story like this and are ready to raise a victory flag if Williams is chased off the field of play. It just gives me pause and makes me wonder if the whole thing isn’t a bit mean spirited or a symptom of some inner desire to see those who make it to the top be taught a lesson and brought down to the level of the rest of us.

It’s not as if this really changes anything. If the anchor exits stage left, he’ll just be replaced by another professional from the same organization, subject to the same human failings as any of the rest of us. The evening news won’t go off the air. But by the same token, I suppose it will serve as a cautionary tale for everyone else in the business to make sure they keep their ducks in a row.

I don’t watch the network news, so I’m not sure if I’ve actually ever seen Brian Williams reading the news. But I have seen clips of many of his appearances on Letterman, Leno and the Daily Show. I enjoyed his ability to poke fun at his own stodgy, stuffed suit newsman persona. He engages in a lot of self-deprecating skits which others in his field would view as beneath them. In short, he seems to be able to laugh at himself and have some fun. I thought it spoke well of him.

I’m not excusing what Williams did in any fashion. And if he falls, he clearly brought it on himself. I suppose all I’m saying here is that the mistakes Brian Williams made are more along the lines of self aggrandizement than some nefarious effort to hide or distort the actual news. It’s a human trait which more of us can likely relate to than other crimes, and I guess I’m just feeling a bit of sympathy for him this morning.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline speekinout

Re: Should we really be happy to see Brian Williams go?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 12:04:58 am »
Yes, it was self-aggrandizement, but it was also a fairly successful attempt to sway public opinion. The messages were that the Bush admin. was failing to address the serious problems from Katrina; that Bush was waging a senseless war that needlessly endangered American lives; and so on. It would be just fine if he was presenting himself as a dim party operative, but those stories should not come from someone who pretends to be a newsman.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 12:23:07 am »
Yes, it was self-aggrandizement, but it was also a fairly successful attempt to sway public opinion. The messages were that the Bush admin. was failing to address the serious problems from Katrina; that Bush was waging a senseless war that needlessly endangered American lives; and so on. It would be just fine if he was presenting himself as a dim party operative, but those stories should not come from someone who pretends to be a newsman.

Unfortunately, your reasons for a guilty verdict have nothing to do with any lies or over-embellishing personal experiences while on locations.  And that's all he's charged with.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline speekinout

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 12:28:38 am »
Unfortunately, your reasons for a guilty verdict have nothing to do with any lies or over-embellishing personal experiences while on locations.  And that's all he's charged with.

I don't know what a "guilty verdict" means here. I was just responding to the question about whether we should be glad to see him go. And I think the answer to that is yes, yes, yes indeed.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 12:36:22 am »
I don't know what a "guilty verdict" means here. I was just responding to the question about whether we should be glad to see him go. And I think the answer to that is yes, yes, yes indeed.

Oh, I'm sorry, speekinout.   LOL!   My mind totally wandered off the original premise of the thread title and I focused purely a thumbs up or down....should he stay or should he go?

Then I read your reply and morally and ethically, I agree with everything you said....except those unethical and morally bankrupt acts aren't part of what he's being charged with.

Sorry... :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 12:40:30 am »

I'm with you.

I'll be glad if and when he's gone so we can start working on the next one...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 12:47:56 am »
Personally I could care less what NBC does as I haven't watched a Nightly 'News" program in many years!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline evadR

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 02:05:00 am »
Personally I could care less what NBC does as I haven't watched a Nightly 'News" program in many years!
So true and as far as working on the next one, looks like Lester is falling right into place.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline speekinout

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 03:43:28 am »
Oh, I'm sorry, speekinout.   LOL!   My mind totally wandered off the original premise of the thread title and I focused purely a thumbs up or down....should he stay or should he go?

Then I read your reply and morally and ethically, I agree with everything you said....except those unethical and morally bankrupt acts aren't part of what he's being charged with.

Sorry... :laugh:

I'm not so concerned with what happens to Brian himself. I don't think he can be punished any more than he has been by being exposed. But I do like the idea of more Americans finding out what a lot of us already know - tv "news" shows have nothing to do with news or facts. Watch them just like you would any other show; if the star is attractive, you can enjoy it. Just don't expect to learn anything.
If Brian goes, be it voluntary or coerced, people will get that message.

Offline evadR

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 02:33:41 pm »
I'm not so concerned with what happens to Brian himself. I don't think he can be punished any more than he has been by being exposed. But I do like the idea of more Americans finding out what a lot of us already know - tv "news" shows have nothing to do with news or facts. Watch them just like you would any other show; if the star is attractive, you can enjoy it. Just don't expect to learn anything.
If Brian goes, be it voluntary or coerced, people will get that message.
I have no particular ax to grind with Brian, he's like all the other liberal liars that permeate the waves.
I am however, always happy to see any blow against liberals and liberalism, however small.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.