Author Topic: And the next president is...  (Read 736 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
And the next president is...
« on: February 07, 2015, 04:05:44 pm »
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2015/02/and_the_next_president_is.html

February 7, 2015
And the next president is...
By Robert Potts

Based on historical patterns, the next president is likely to be a Gen Xer.  This is not good news for the many baby boomers running, or thinking about running, in 2016.

When voters decide it is time to move the presidency on to the next generation, they keep electing presidents in that next generation, or they go on to the one that follows.  They do not go back.  Bill Clinton and George W. Bush were from the baby boomer generation.  Barack Obama is from the Gen X generation (those born 1961 to 1981).  If the pattern holds, the next president will also be a Gen Xer.

There are two exceptions in the history of our presidents.  Zachary Taylor, president from 1849 to 1850, was a throwback, as was James Buchanan, president from 1857 to 1861.  By the 2016 election, it will have been 160 years since voters elected a president from a generation that preceded the sitting president.

I first heard about this pattern at a lecture on the work of Neil Howe and William Strauss, the co-authors of several books on generational theory and generational change in America.

At first hearing, Ronald Reagan came to mind.  How does he fit the pattern, assuming the presidency at age 69?  The pattern is the change from members of one generation to the next, not the age of individual presidents.  For example, Howe and Strauss identify those born 1901 to 1924 as members of the G.I. generation.  That generation produced 7 presidents: Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, and George H.W. Bush.

In 1992, voters pushed on to the next generation, electing a baby boomer in Bill Clinton.  In 2000, voters stayed with a baby boomer in George W. Bush and then in 2008 pushed on to the next generation with Barack Obama.  John McCain, born in 1936 and a member of the Silent generation (those born 1925 to 1942), was fighting, unsuccessfully, against the historical pattern.

The 2016 baby boomer candidates are also running against this precedent by asking voters to look back a generation: Hillary Clinton, Andrew Cuomo, Elizabeth Warren, Jim Webb, Jeb Bush, Ben Carson, Carly Fiorina, Mike Huckabee, John Kasich, Rick Perry, and Rick Santorum.  Two other possible candidates, silent generation members Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders, want voters to strain their necks even more, looking back two generations.

For 2016 Gen X candidates, there is only one Democrat on the current list, former Maryland Governor Martin O’Malley.  On the Republican side, Marco Rubio, Chris Christie, Ted Cruz, Bobby Jindal, Rand Paul, and Scott Walker are all in the right spot, generationally speaking, to pick up the torch.  Thinking about the first woman president in this context?  Look to the Gen X or Millennial generations.

Wall Street types always hedge their predictions with the phrase “past performance is no guarantee of future results.”  That applies to presidential elections as well.  But the idea that we move forward with each of our new presidents, and rarely go back, strikes me as a very American way of doing things.   

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

Re: And the next president is...
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 03:17:38 am »
Hillary Clinton or Elizabeth Warren.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 03:27:40 am »
Hillary Clinton or Elizabeth Warren.
Any of the GOP candidate-hopefuls will have a tough path, but it is possible.

I am underwhelmed by many of them, because they are largely warmed over previous losers; Huckabee, Santorum, etc. offering nothing different.

The major issues in my view will be foreign threats, and domestic wellbeing. I would favor a man or woman who best gave voice to fresh concepts, for the future.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline olde north church

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 12:03:41 pm »
I really wish they would make up their damn minds about which generation 1961-1964 are from.  I could get whiplash, already!
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 01:50:20 pm »
Generational theory is an interesting factor but it's not an immutable law. The individuals and the needs of the times are probably more important in selecting presidents. As in the case of Obama.

The electorate at that point of our social self-awareness needed to shout we were a colorblind nation. Here comes Obama and swoosh, democrats throw Hillary overboard, and it's Obama v McCain.

Voters ignored the white guy (didn't have a prayer), ignored Obama's mediocre background (inexperienced at a multitude of things) and went for the generic black guy.

And thus the world has turned to crap.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 01:59:29 pm »
Generational theory is an interesting factor but it's not an immutable law. The individuals and the needs of the times are probably more important in selecting presidents. As in the case of Obama.

The electorate at that point of our social self-awareness needed to shout we were a colorblind nation. Here comes Obama and swoosh, democrats throw Hillary overboard, and it's Obama v McCain.

Voters ignored the white guy (didn't have a prayer), ignored Obama's mediocre background (inexperienced at a multitude of things) and went for the generic black guy.

And thus the world has turned to crap.

I wonder also how much backlash there will be.  I know that I will be really examining ANY non-white male candidates for any signs of retribution in the future.  BO has proven that the office can be abused to "get even".

Offline aligncare

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 02:10:12 pm »
I wonder also how much backlash there will be.  I know that I will be really examining ANY non-white male candidates for any signs of retribution in the future.  BO has proven that the office can be abused to "get even".

Oh, I think Obama has poisoned the well for future black candidates.

Who needs this racial division? Where any criticism of the president is deemed racist. What the heck? This bit of political stagecraft effectively disables the political process. What? you can't criticize the president's policies or your a racist?

No, it'll be a long time before white voters put themselves in this position again.