Author Topic: WITH ROMNEY OUT, JEB BUSH GETS A BOOST  (Read 939 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
WITH ROMNEY OUT, JEB BUSH GETS A BOOST
« on: January 30, 2015, 08:26:28 pm »
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/01/30/with-romney-out-jeb-bush-gets-a-boost/

by BEN SHAPIRO30 Jan 2015

With 2012 Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney’s announcement that he will not pursue the 2016 presidential nomination, the conservative grassroots may be celebrating. They thought of Romney as a political squish, a flip-flopper, the creator of Romneycare, and the blunderer of “the 47 percent.”

They shouldn’t celebrate too soon. The person happiest to see Romney go is a political squish, a key supporter of Common Core, a fan of amnesty for illegal immigrants, and a basher of the base. Former Florida Governor Jeb Bush must be grinning ear-to-ear this morning.

The latest poll from Fox News shows Romney clocking in at 21 percent, with Mike Huckabee and Senator Rand Paul (R-KY) tied at 11 percent; Jeb Bush runs fourth at 10 percent. Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker, who wowed crowds in Iowa over the weekend, draws 8 percent, while Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL), an establishment favorite with Tea Party ties, draws just 5 percent. Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) and former Texas Governor Rick Perry both draw 4 percent, with Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal clocking in at a negligible 2 percent.

Without Romney, Jeb Bush jumps to 15 percent, with Rand Paul and Mike Huckabee trailing at 13 percent. Jeb’s also got all the money. Bush likely jumped into the race earlier than expected – he announced in December 2014 – in order to preclude Romney from running. By sucking up all the coastal donors, Bush prevented Romney from gaining momentum among those who matter most: the establishment types who backed him to the hilt in 2012. Just eight days ago, Romney met with Bush in Utah to discuss the presidential race. Just over a week later, Romney is out, and coastal donors’ choice has now come down to Jeb Bush and the largely-discredited Chris Christie, who now trails badly in polls.

The conservative base, meanwhile, splits a thousand ways. Walker has momentum for the moment, but Cruz has a significant ground operation in Iowa. Paul has his father’s base and a strong libertarian appeal in New Hampshire. Huckabee won Iowa in 2008 and could pose a threat in South Carolina as well.

And Jeb? All he has to do is run competitive in New Hampshire – where Bush currently leads slightly — hope that Iowa and South Carolina go to a largely underfunded candidate like Mike Huckabee (or better yet, split), and then win Florida in a walk. This is former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani’s firewall strategy from 2008, except that Jeb won’t abandon New Hampshire.

Mitt Romney did the right thing by stepping out of the race; he’s an old face, and he had his shot in 2012. By getting out, he opens the door to other candidates. Unfortunately, the candidate he may have most boosted is the man who most resembles him politically, to the consternation of conservatives across the country.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Re: WITH ROMNEY OUT, JEB BUSH GETS A BOOST
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 09:08:24 pm »
Unfortunately, the candidate he may have most boosted is the man who most resembles him politically, to the consternation of conservatives across the country.

Obviously, that was the point of Romney bowing out. 

I'd look for Romney to get back in if Jeb makes an early exit, but so long as Jeb is in, Romney will not run.  Mitt is an honorable man, and that is the deal he made with the Bush dynasty many years back.  He won't reneg now.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 09:11:46 pm »
Unfortunately, the candidate he may have most boosted is the man who most resembles him politically, to the consternation of conservatives across the country.

Obviously, that was the point of Romney bowing out. 

Yes. Will not vote for another Bush.

But yes, that is the first thing I thought. There is more to this than we know.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 09:18:01 pm »
You know, it must be very strange for Jeb.

His last name is the only reason he is in the running at all, but at the same time, it is the most likely thing to sink him. No Democrat, no matter how 'moderate', is going to vote for a Bush.

I think Jeb is sunk before he starts. Libs will not vote for a Bush, and conservatives will never vote for him, even as "an act of Love".

Jeb occupies some space on a knife edge, some kind of hybrid voter who is niether Conservative nor Democrat will vote for him.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 09:24:34 pm »
The only thing that could boost Bush is a conservative VP.......but he has to win the nomination first.
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 12:16:50 am »
The only one I would enthusiastically support would be Cruz. Anyone else in the group, with the possible later exception of Walker, I really don't care.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 02:41:39 am »
You know, it must be very strange for Jeb.

His last name is the only reason he is in the running at all, but at the same time, it is the most likely thing to sink him. No Democrat, no matter how 'moderate', is going to vote for a Bush.

I think Jeb is sunk before he starts. Libs will not vote for a Bush, and conservatives will never vote for him, even as "an act of Love".

Jeb occupies some space on a knife edge, some kind of hybrid voter who is niether Conservative nor Democrat will vote for him.

That is what the right said about Dubya.  Governor Jeb Bush has a record of accomplishments to run on.  IMO there is a 40% chance he will be the GOP nominee for President. 

and before anyone replies that you won't vote for Jeb, don't worry...he was not counting on your vote.
 :vote:

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 03:13:09 am »
given his stance on immigration....DOA

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 04:28:56 am »
I don't think Romney was ever serious about running. I seriously doubt he'd have gotten the traction on the third run.  This seems to be more for the media drama of setting up Jeb than anything.
The Republic is lost.

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 05:49:55 am »
given his stance on immigration....DOA

The other huge strike against him is "Common Core".  Right now there is a bill (S.73)  being proposed in the Senate that would prohibit the Federal Government from mandating, incentivizing, or coercing States to adopt the Common Core State Standards...should be interesting...
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.