Author Topic: Wisconsin Gov. Walker Previews Likely White House Theme  (Read 561 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Wisconsin Gov. Walker Previews Likely White House Theme
« on: January 31, 2015, 03:32:43 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=621775

Newsmax
Wisconsin Gov. Walker Previews Likely White House Theme
Friday, January 30, 2015 03:04 PM

By: By STEVE PEOPLES

Criticizing Washington as a city of power-hungry elites, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker on Friday offered a preview of his likely White House message between private job interviews with those looking to help his expected presidential campaign.

"As much as I like coming here, I love going home even more," Walker said during a speech delivered just a block from the White House complex.

Sounding familiar campaign themes of smaller government, greater accountability and general distaste for the nation's capital, Walker looked to use his visit to build interest in his potential campaign. Privately, he was expanding his political operation as he fights for early momentum in the crowded field of GOP White House prospects.

"The best way we move this country is by transferring power from Washington out to the hardworking people of this country," Walker said during his first address to a Washington audience this year.

It was his only speaking engagement in a day packed with private meetings and job interviews related to a possible 2016 bid. Earlier this week, Walker announced the formation a nonprofit group, Our American Revival, designed to raise unlimited amounts of money to boost his political ambitions.

The experienced Republican operative he hired to run that group, Rick Wiley, listened from the front row to a speech that savaged Washington and those who work here.

"Washington is kind of a dump. I like to call it 68 square miles surrounded by reality," Walker said.

While he has yet to formally announce his intentions, Walker becomes the latest in a group of high-profile Republicans taking significant steps toward launching a presidential campaign. He is less known than some of his potential competitors — former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush or New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, for instance — but Republican officials say Walker is getting a second look, especially after Friday's announcement that 2012 presidential nominee Mitt Romney would forego a third campaign for the White House.

Asked about Romney's decision, Walker declined to comment as he rushed to his next meeting. He said his office would release a statement later in the day.

"There's a lot of admiration for Walker, but the skepticism was whether he had the charisma to excite people," said Fred Malek, the Republican Governors Association's chief fundraiser, who will host Walker at his home Friday night after spending most of the day with him. "He certainly demonstrated in Iowa that he did."

While he'll end his day as Malek's guest at the exclusive Alfalfa Club dinner, aides say Walker began his day at a breakfast meeting with South Carolina state Rep. Phyllis Henderson, who recently organized a private South Carolina meet-and-greet for Christie.

Walker was also expected to sit down with two potential policy staffers — one focused on domestic issues and the other on foreign matters — who may join his campaign in waiting. Aides report that Walker has already hired a national finance director and plans to announce the hiring of a national communications director next week, but the aides declined to name them.

At the same time, Walker is finishing plans to visit early voting states beyond Iowa, including New Hampshire, South Carolina and Nevada.

Despite the aggressive steps, Walker isn't expected to join the Republican presidential race formally until after his state budget is finalized around June. Walker this week said voters want the next president to be someone who hasn't served in Washington, a fresh face with a proven record.

His speech Friday made clear he sees any ties to Washington as a negative attribute. He didn't mention any of his likely rivals by name, but it was clear members of Congress were held in low regard.

"In Washington, it's this top-down, government-knows-best approach," Walker said. By contrast, Walker said his administration "took the power away from the big government special interests."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Wisconsin Gov. Walker Previews Likely White House Theme
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 03:52:00 pm »
"The best way we move this country is by transferring power from Washington out to the hardworking people of this country," Walker said during his first address to a Washington audience this year.

:amen:  :amen: and  :amen:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 04:46:37 pm »
Everyone seems to love Walker...I'm not so sold on him. If Jeb is the nominee he very well may be his running mate as they are pretty much equally matched with Walker being a Libertarian leaning conservative and Bush a populist leaning conservative.  Common Core is where they seem to differ the most.

http://www.ontheissues.org/Scott_Walker.htm                    http://www.ontheissues.org/Jeb_Bush.htm

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 04:50:29 pm »
I can't believe people who know better are falling for this.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 04:56:54 pm »
I am more connected to Wisconsin politics than Illinois if that is possible.  I almost prefer Walker stays in Wisconsin.  That state so needs him.  I like him a lot for state-level politics and the fact that he makes the union thug and liberal elitist head explode unlike anything I have ever witnessed.  I am not sure how his persona will translate at the end of a Presidential campaign.  Could arrive flat - sort of Romney-like. 

In any event, I won't be  "sold" on any candidate for a good long while.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 03:37:55 am »
Walker needs to "lay back" some this year.

This doesn't mean "disappearing" -- it DOES mean that he should take care to not peak too soon.

There's still work to be done in Wisconsin in 2015, then start moving up from the pack in '16...