Author Topic: Cops Shot And Killed 17-Year-Old Girl At Texas Police Station  (Read 5519 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Cops Shot And Killed 17-Year-Old Girl At Texas Police Station
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2015, 07:23:08 am »
When you have a gun, everything is a mortal threat.

Take your meds, you are getting ratty again.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2015, 09:30:18 pm »
A lot of people owe the police an apology. They just released the video. They did try to restrain her. They also tazed her and it had zero effect. She was hopped up on something. She also initially told them she had a gun. Shooting her was the very last resort. I'll post a link with the video tonight, I'm on my tablet now.

Offline ABX

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2015, 12:43:50 am »
A lot of people owe the police an apology. They just released the video. They did try to restrain her. They also tazed her and it had zero effect. She was hopped up on something. She also initially told them she had a gun. Shooting her was the very last resort. I'll post a link with the video tonight, I'm on my tablet now.

There was NOBODY ELSE IN THE LOBBY. You said the lobby was full of people.

They will be cleared, cops always are.  I hope they sleep well, three big cops unable to overpower a 90 pound kid.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline ABX

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2015, 12:57:27 am »
There was NOBODY ELSE IN THE LOBBY. You said the lobby was full of people.

They will be cleared, cops always are.  I hope they sleep well, three big cops unable to overpower a 90 pound kid.

The chairborne ranger is back telling everyone what should have been done from the comfort of his keyboard.

Based on what I read in the early reports, the lobby was full (of course, we don't see the municipal court lobby through the doors in the back (where the guy in the shorts came from about halfway into the video) so that may have been the initial reference), but that doesn't matter. They tried to talk her down. They did try to subdue her, they did taze her and that didn't work.The shooting was the very last resort (if you watched the video). She was within a foot of that officer when she charged him with the knife. ANY citizen in that situation has the right to use deadly force to defend himself and others.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2015, 01:06:14 am »
The chairborne ranger is back telling everyone what should have been done from the comfort of his keyboard.

Based on what I read in the early reports, the lobby was full (of course, we don't see the municipal court lobby through the doors in the back (where the guy in the shorts came from about halfway into the video) so that may have been the initial reference), but that doesn't matter. They tried to talk her down. They did try to subdue her, they did taze her and that didn't work.The shooting was the very last resort (if you watched the video). She was within a foot of that officer when she charged him with the knife. ANY citizen in that situation has the right to use deadly force to defend himself and others.

Three cops, one tiny girl. Of course they would finally shoot her.  That's the way these things always end.

As I said, I hope they sleep well. I'd be ashamed if I were one of three big cops in this situation.

Longview, a town of 100,000 people, had more police shootings than Ft. Worth, Texas, a town of 700,000.  Something's amiss in the way these cops are trained.

Offline Carling

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2015, 01:12:15 am »
Three cops, one tiny girl. Of course they would finally shoot her.  That's the way these things always end.

As I said, I hope they sleep well. I'd be ashamed if I were one of three big cops in this situation.

Longview, a town of 100,000 people, had more police shootings than Ft. Worth, Texas, a town of 700,000.  Something's amiss in the way these cops are trained.

Facts don't matter to the Ferguson/Garner/anti-cop crowd.  People like you seem to just jump into a story, raise hell, and then retreat on semantics when the video shows what really happened, or deny that video evidence exists.  It's Al Sharpton-esque.  You've already been given the facts behind each of the three police killings, and you didn't even comment on them.  What point are you trying to prove?  You're ignoring evidence that is on the record, while continuing what I view to be a foolish position.   

Additionally, this isn't how it always ends.  Hyperbole is for the leftists, IMO, and does nothing to advance an argument when absolutes are used. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 01:17:20 am by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2015, 01:28:44 am »
Facts don't matter to the Ferguson/Garner/anti-cop crowd.  People like you seem to just jump into a story, raise hell, and then retreat on semantics when the video shows what really happened, or deny that video evidence exists.  It's Al Sharpton-esque.  You've already been given the facts behind each of the three police killings, and you didn't even comment on them.  What point are you trying to prove?  You're ignoring evidence that is on the record, while continuing what I view to be a foolish position.   

Additionally, this isn't how it always ends.  Hyperbole is for the leftists, IMO, and does nothing to advance an argument when absolutes are used.

If you're not bothered by watching that video and watching three big ole East Texas boys unable to bring down a little teenage girl in some way other than shooting her four times, well, OK.

I'm not a "Ferguson" backer. Darren Wilson was justified.  The cop in New York who put a choke hold on Eric Garner was not, and I'm not the only person to say that.

I have two nephews who are cops who have thrown chairs, nightsticks and other objects at perps to distract them and then tackle them to bring them down.  They've never shot anybody and they've both been in law enforcement for 16 and 15 years respectively.  They also believe some cops are quick to resort to shooting people. 

These three officers will be cleared.  That is the way it works.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2015, 01:43:59 am »

Questioning police is NOT anti-cop.  Well, only to the police and apologists.  Just because the teen was an bleep, doesn't preclude the cops from being trigger happy.  Was a time when getting home wasn't the most important thing, used to be protecting and serving.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline ABX

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2015, 01:48:38 am »
If you're not bothered by watching that video and watching three big ole East Texas boys...

Well it appears you didn't watch the video after all one of the officers who fired the fatal shot was a short, African-American woman.

Offline ABX

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2015, 01:51:37 am »
Questioning police is NOT anti-cop.  Well, only to the police and apologists.  Just because the teen was an bleep, doesn't preclude the cops from being trigger happy.  Was a time when getting home wasn't the most important thing, used to be protecting and serving.

Watch the video. This wasn't a teen being an bleep, this was about a teen attacking a police officer with a large butcher knife after they attempted to subdue her and even tazing her didn't effect her (I'm going to assume she was on speed or meth or something like that). ANY citizen in that situation has every right to defend his or her self. If you put a 'but' in there and make an exception for a police officer, then it sure does sound like being anti-cop as though that fundamental right doesn't apply to them.

Offline ABX

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2015, 02:07:33 am »
I just read the funniest 'should of' yet... (and they are serious)

With the proper technique, the policeman could have squeezed her arm and she would have immediately drooped the knife.

They should just make sure Mr. Spock is in each police station so he can give them the neck pinch.

Offline Carling

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2015, 02:08:27 am »
Well it appears you didn't watch the video after all one of the officers who fired the fatal shot was a short, African-American woman.

At this point, sinkspur is embarrassing himself.  Thank you for posting the video! 

Offline Carling

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2015, 02:10:03 am »
If you're not bothered by watching that video and watching three big ole East Texas boys unable to bring down a little teenage girl in some way other than shooting her four times, well, OK.

You didn't even watch the video.  Please, stop, because I like what you have to say on other subjects.  You're no better than an Al Sharpton on this one, though.

Offline ABX

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2015, 02:19:33 am »
Officer Grace Bagley, one of the three officers involved and one of the two who fired the fatal shots.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2015, 02:21:17 am »
The first cop had her restrained on the ground, then let her up. Next thing there are 3 armed cops in the room.

Did she have the knife concealed when she was down? When she started to move, was shooting to kill her the only option?

I remain unconvinced this is the best we are capable of doing. Sure the cops will be cleared, because they did what they are trained to do, with the equipment they use.

That is still not the best we could do.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline ABX

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2015, 02:31:00 am »
The first cop had her restrained on the ground, then let her up. Next thing there are 3 armed cops in the room.

Did she have the knife concealed when she was down? When she started to move, was shooting to kill her the only option?

I remain unconvinced this is the best we are capable of doing. Sure the cops will be cleared, because they did what they are trained to do, with the equipment they use.

That is still not the best we could do.

Here is what happened based on the videos and descriptions. He did attempt to restrain her when she said she had a gun, first in the chair then down on the ground. He was attempting to hold her down when she pulled out the knife from her pants and was swinging it around at him. That's when he immediately put got up and put distance between himself and her and tazed her. That would be a textbook a non-lethal way to protect yourself when you can't restrain someone.

Maybe he could have had a better hold, but he didn't. This isn't pro wrasslin where all the moves are scripted. The fact is for whatever reason, he didn't have a good enough hold to subdue her so he tried to do the next best, non-lethal thing which was step himself away from the knife and taze her.

The failure here is the tazer didn't work on her.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2015, 02:44:56 am »
Watch the video. This wasn't a teen being an bleep, this was about a teen attacking a police officer with a large butcher knife after they attempted to subdue her and even tazing her didn't effect her (I'm going to assume she was on speed or meth or something like that). ANY citizen in that situation has every right to defend his or her self. If you put a 'but' in there and make an exception for a police officer, then it sure does sound like being anti-cop as though that fundamental right doesn't apply to them.

My statement was more general than specific to this situation.  Anyone who goes into a police station, intent on killing people, police or not, pretty much deserves what they get.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2015, 02:59:15 am »
I think it could have been handled a lot better, but in this instance the police are justified (in my opinion). However I do firmly believe that all forms of authority should constantly be questioned and scrutinized. You're all jumping down Sink's throat as if the cops don't regularly use excessive force and kill people when it probably wasn't necessary. The truth of the matter is we DO have a problem with the police in this country, and until people start recognizing that fact it is only going to get worse.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Oceander

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2015, 03:21:20 am »
I distrust the cops as much as anyone else, but if someone pulls a knife, they are responsible if their intended target shoots back and kills them.  That is what the mantra of self-defense is all about.  It may be a tragedy, but the young lady brought it upon herself.

Offline Carling

« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2015, 07:30:47 am »
Sinkspur bailed on this one. Perhaps the police got one correct this time?

Offline aligncare

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2015, 09:41:24 am »
First officer had ample opportunity to restrain her and did not. The first few seconds are critical. From the moment a gun was a possibility no time should have been wasted in discussion. A NYC cop would have her on the ground and cuffed in second.

But, once the situation spiraled out of control and the knife was brandished, the shooting was justified.