Author Topic: White House Gaffe Outs American Held by the Islamic State  (Read 718 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
White House Gaffe Outs American Held by the Islamic State
« on: January 25, 2015, 09:30:01 pm »
S. officials routinely ask media outlets to keep the identity of the 26-year old American woman held hostage by Islamic State a secret. White House Chief of Staff Denis McDonough mistakenly ignored the administration’s own policy Sunday morning when he mentioned her first name on national television.

Speaking on ABC News’s “This Week With George Stephanopoulos” following the beheading of Haruna Yukawa, one of the two Japanese hostages held by the Islamic State, McDonough used her first name while outlining efforts to get her home.

“And as it relates to our hostages, we are obviously continuing to work those matters very, very aggressively. We are sparing no expense, and sparing no effort, both in trying to make sure that we know where they are and make sure that we’re prepared to do anything we must to try to get them home.”

Then, in what administration officials conceded was a gaffe, McDonough used the woman’s first name before adding that her “family knows how strongly the president feels about this. And we will continue to work this.”

https://foreignpolicy.com/2015/01/25/white-house-gaffe-outs-american-held-by-the-islamic-state/

:facepalm2:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: White House Gaffe Outs American Held by the Islamic State
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 10:03:42 pm »
Prayers for this poor woman, I have real fear that if the Obama administration is trying to help her....she is doomed.  I cannot imagine what she is going through. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline olde north church

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 11:02:46 pm »
It was no "gaffe".
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
WH Chief of Staff Accidentally Reveals American ISIS Hostage's First Name
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 01:41:07 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=620623

Newsmax
WH Chief of Staff Accidentally Reveals American ISIS Hostage's First Name
Sunday, January 25, 2015 09:07 PM

By: Greg Richter

White House Chief of Staff Denis McDonough accidentally revealed the first name of an American woman being held by the Islamic State (ISIS) during one of appearances on all five Sunday morning news shows.

The woman's family and the U.S. government have been keeping her name out of the public, but in McDonough's appearance on ABC's "This Week," he said. "[W]e are obviously continuing to work those matters very, very aggressively. We are sparing no expense, and sparing no effort, both in trying to make sure that we know where they are and make sure that we're prepared to do anything we must to try to get them home. But, [redacted]'s family knows how strongly the president feels about this. And we'll continue to work this."

Politico contacted National Security Council spokeswoman Bernadette Meehan, who said, "We don’t have anything to add, other than to request again that you not use the name of the individual."

It is known she is a 26-year-old aid worker who was kidnapped in August 2013.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
This guy is a real piece of work...he is the one. at least took the blame, of advising Obama to not go to Paris..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 08:04:38 pm »
Gaffe my arse.
The Republic is lost.