Author Topic: BLIZZARD WATCH NYC, BOSTON HISTORIC  (Read 4745 times)

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: BLIZZARD WATCH NYC, BOSTON HISTORIC
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2015, 03:26:03 pm »
We're getting absolutely pummeled here in S. New Hampshire. Whiteout conditions right now with 40+ mph winds. I'd estimate the snowfall rate at about 3 in./hour, and looking at the latest radar, it's not going anywhere, as a powerful "deformation band" (a classic Nor'easter feature) has set up across the Merrimack Valley.

Fortunately, both my wife's office and mine are closed, for the first time in our memories, so we're just hunkering down and enjoying the show.

Nice pictures Andy!  I'm glad you and your wife are able to enjoy it together. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline aligncare

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2015, 03:43:30 pm »
Yesterday around 10:30 AM

24 hours later .....

Barely 12 inches.

We fall for the hysteria ... Every. Single. Time.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2015, 03:44:00 pm »
Thanks Andy!  Be safe. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2015, 03:47:00 pm »
Yesterday around 10:30 AM

24 hours later .....

Barely 12 inches.

The global climate change-ologists are deeply saddened that there wasn't more death, mayhem and chaos.
John Steinbeck

Offline musiclady

« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2015, 04:32:33 pm »

My experience has been that if they predict "the worst storm in history"  we will get a normal amount of snow.

It's when they give us a mild "winter weather advisory" that we get the most precipitation.

Don't mean to get too Biblical here, but the Scripture does say that only God knows where the wind comes from and what it's going to do, and that's proven over and over again.

And when you factor in that the "meteorologists" are missionaries for the Church of Climate Change, you usually don't get the real picture.

They don't know.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2015, 05:01:23 pm »
DiBlasio (siri's spelling) placed a ban on travel in NYC that began last night at 11 PM (with hardly any snow accumulation at that) and was not lifted till mid morning.

Also, the Department of Education ordered schools to let out early yesterday even though there was barely any snow on the ground, and they preemptively closed school today well ahead of actual heavy snowfall.

What wusses we've become. Because we're a society full of lawyers and technocrats.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2015, 05:07:58 pm »
DiBlasio (siri's spelling) placed a ban on travel in NYC that began last night at 11 PM (with hardly any snow accumulation at that) and was not lifted till mid morning.

Also, the Department of Education ordered schools to let out early yesterday even though there was barely any snow on the ground, and they preemptively closed school today well ahead of actual heavy snowfall.

What wusses we've become. Because we're a society full of lawyers and technocrats.

More specifically, it is the bureaucrat and the politician.  My twin (who is an old man today) is a diehard Democrat despite having values that are generally center-right.  I always mock him by saying that there is nothing in our lives that a little more government can't improve.  Same is true with our well-being and safety. 

Yes, we are wimps.  And, it is depressing as hell.
John Steinbeck

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2015, 06:47:15 pm »
Okay we haven't heard from Oceander.....he needs to check in if he can
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2015, 07:48:39 pm »
We got something a little over  2' of snow here in Mattituck.  :pondering: Orient got 30". There's talk about another 3-8", but I think it's basically over here. Got wind, but not really heavy wind. Had to shovel 4' drifts off the back  :thud: deck to let the kids out.  :smokin:
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2015, 08:25:25 pm »
We got something a little over  2' of snow here in Mattituck.  :pondering: Orient got 30". There's talk about another 3-8", but I think it's basically over here. Got wind, but not really heavy wind. Had to shovel 4' drifts off the back  :thud: deck to let the kids out.  :smokin:

Glad to see you are digging out..take care of yourself!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2015, 01:21:47 am »
Texas is surviving Snowmegeddon. We got up to 76 today.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2015, 01:24:47 am »
My experience has been that if they predict "the worst storm in history"  we will get a normal amount of snow.

It's when they give us a mild "winter weather advisory" that we get the most precipitation.

Don't mean to get too Biblical here, but the Scripture does say that only God knows where the wind comes from and what it's going to do, and that's proven over and over again.

And when you factor in that the "meteorologists" are missionaries for the Church of Climate Change, you usually don't get the real picture.

They don't know.
Not all of us are! (I am a meteorologist by training—got my bachelor's about 7 years ago—but never found a job in the field.)

In reality, these things are generally pretty hard to forecast. A meteorology student devotes half a semester of it in college to learning the marks of an event; they even have an annual conference about the phenomenon where meteorologists gather and talk about the latest research. Yet considering the original forecast was for something epic, something not seen in recorded history, that should have raised serious questions about how reliable that was. There was nothing particularly out of the ordinary about this event. It wasn't moving slowly, the snow was moderate and not very heavy, and New York City always tends to get less than those further inland (since  the Taconics, Berkshires, Adirondacks, Catskills and northern Appalachians can cause lift and wring more snow out of the clouds). You really have to have almost everything line up perfectly for such an event to happen in New York City, hence why they've never seen much more than two feet in a single event.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2015, 01:27:02 am »
Still no word from Oceander..I have a feeling he is in the area that lost power....
Support the USO

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2015, 01:35:39 am »
Still no word from Oceander..I have a feeling he is in the area that lost power....
Sure hope he is well.
John Steinbeck

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2015, 01:40:00 am »
Sure hope he is well.

He's a smart guy! I'm sure he's fine but unable to use the phone or internet right now.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2015, 01:50:36 am »
Our back yard (and we got less than a foot of snow near Pittsburgh) with deer footprints in the foreground.

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2015, 09:50:26 pm »

:tongue2:
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline aligncare

« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2015, 10:54:03 pm »
The store shelves in staten island are still pretty bare. I couldn't find any boneless chicken breasts.

No curry chicken tonight.  **nononono*

That house looks like it might be fully stocked, Luis. I'm curious. What's the property value?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2015, 11:37:35 pm »
SoCal coastal overcast, partial sunshine, temp about 70 degrees. Not pretty but comfortable.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2015, 03:58:12 am »

Nope!  Nary a scratch.  It was rather a bummer - I was so looking forward to the snowstorm of the century - but it wasn't even half so bad as the storms last winter.  I understand that Eastern L.I. out in Suffolk County got hit harder, but here in most of Nassau County it wasn't particularly worrisome.  The only beef I have is that Stop & Shop effed up their truck deliveries so they're out of milk until tomorrow, and some idiot had a run on children's ibuprofen, so there isn't any on the shelves now; Rite Aid had the ibuprofen though.