Author Topic: BLIZZARD WATCH NYC, BOSTON HISTORIC  (Read 4746 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
BLIZZARD WATCH NYC, BOSTON HISTORIC
« on: January 25, 2015, 07:13:50 pm »
http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=NYZ072&warncounty=NYC061&firewxzone=NYZ072&local_place1=New%20York%20NY&product1=Blizzard+Watch&lat=40.7198&lon=-73.993#.VMVATy6GNOU

One product issued by NWS for: New York NY
More Sharing ServicesShare | Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on email Share on print Share on gmail

Blizzard Watch

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
953 AM EST SUN JAN 25 2015

...POTENTIALLY HISTORIC WINTER STORM TO IMPACT THE AREA FROM LATE
MONDAY INTO TUESDAY....

CTZ005-009-NJZ004-006-103>108-NYZ069>075-176-178-252300-
/O.CAN.KOKX.WS.A.0002.150126T1800Z-150128T0500Z/
/O.EXA.KOKX.BZ.A.0001.150126T1800Z-150128T0500Z/
NORTHERN FAIRFIELD-SOUTHERN FAIRFIELD-EASTERN PASSAIC-HUDSON-
WESTERN BERGEN-EASTERN BERGEN-WESTERN ESSEX-EASTERN ESSEX-
WESTERN UNION-EASTERN UNION-ROCKLAND-NORTHERN WESTCHESTER-
SOUTHERN WESTCHESTER-NEW YORK (MANHATTAN)-BRONX-
RICHMOND (STATEN ISLAND)-KINGS (BROOKLYN)-NORTHERN QUEENS-
SOUTHERN QUEENS-
953 AM EST SUN JAN 25 2015

...BLIZZARD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH TUESDAY
EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NEW YORK HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD
WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH TUESDAY
EVENING.

* LOCATIONS...THE GREATER NEW YORK CITY METROPOLITAN AREA.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW...WITH BLIZZARD
  CONDITIONS LIKELY.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 1 TO 2 FEET...WITH LOCALLY
  HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE.

* WINDS...NORTH 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 50 MPH.

* VISIBILITIES...ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE LOWER 20S.

* TIMING...HEAVIEST SNOW AND STRONGEST WINDS WILL OCCUR
  OVERNIGHT MONDAY INTO TUESDAY.

* IMPACTS...EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TRAVEL DUE TO HEAVY SNOWFALL AND
  STRONG WINDS...WITH WHITEOUT CONDITIONS LIKELY. SECONDARY AND
  TERTIARY ROADS MAY BECOME IMPASSABLE. STRONG WINDS MAY DOWN
  POWER LINES AND TREE LIMBS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A BLIZZARD WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR FALLING AND/OR
BLOWING SNOW WITH STRONG WINDS AND EXTREMELY POOR VISIBILITIES.
THIS CAN LEAD TO WHITEOUT CONDITIONS AND MAKE TRAVEL VERY
DANGEROUS.

&&

$$

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Re: BLIZZARD WATCH NYC, BOSTON HISTORIC
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 07:20:40 pm »
It's cold in Miami Beach too you know.

We're wearing socks.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 07:22:18 pm »
Couldn't happen to a more-deserving part of the country.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 07:30:21 pm »

Amen, brother!

I hope they freeze their liberal a$$es off for a week. 

Or, two....
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 09:16:45 pm »
It's cold in Miami Beach too you know.

We're wearing socks.

Support socks?

000hehehehe

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 10:46:45 pm »
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_WINTER_WEATHER?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-01-25-16-33-55

Jan 25, 5:29 PM EST

'Potentially historic' storm headed for Northeast

By VERENA DOBNIK
Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) -- A winter that has largely spared the Northeast thus far is about to arrive with gusto: A storm the National Weather Service called "potentially historic" could dump 2 to 3 feet of snow from northern New Jersey to Connecticut.

A blizzard warning was issued for New York and Boston, and the National Weather Service said the massive storm would bring heavy snow and powerful winds starting Monday and into Tuesday.

"This could be a storm the likes of which we have never seen before," New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio at a news conference Sunday.

De Blasio held up a piece of paper showing the city's top 10 snowstorms and said this one could land at the top of a list that goes back to 1872, including the 26.9 inches that fell in 2006. "Don't underestimate this storm. Prepare for the worst," he said as he urged residents to plan to leave work early Monday.

Boston is expected to get 18 to 24 inches of snow, and Philadelphia could see 14 to 18 inches, the weather service said.

A weekend storm that had brought snow and slush to the Northeast - the first real snow of the season for many areas - was just a warm-up.

"Looks like our luck is about to run out," said John Paulsen as he gassed up his SUV in New Jersey. "I can't complain too much since we've had a pretty mild winter, but I don't know if I'm ready for a foot or so of snow all at once."

The storm system driving out of the Midwest brought snow to Ohio on Sunday and was expected to ultimately spread from the nation's capital to Maine for a "crippling and potentially historic blizzard," the National Weather Service said.

The Washington area expected only a coating or a bit more, with steadily increasing amounts expected as the storm plods its way north. The storm promised treacherous travel by both land and air throughout the busy Northeast corridor.

At New York's Penn Station, Cicero Goncalves was waiting for a train to Vermont, where he's going snowboarding, because he expected the flight he had hoped to take would be canceled.

But the 34-year-old flight attendant from Queens counted himself and his travel partner as lucky. "We'll get there before it snows, and we're coming back when the storm is over, on Thursday," he said.

Preparations large and small were in effect elsewhere in New York. A Manhattan Home Depot store sold about twice as many shovels over the weekend as it normally does while transit officials hoping to keep the subways running smoothly planned to use modified subway cars loaded with de-icing fluid to spray the third rail that powers trains.

Farther north, a blizzard warning was issued for Boston from Monday night through early Wednesday. Wind gusts of 60 mph or more are possible on Cape Cod, forecasters said.

Wyatt Baars, manager of the Charlestown Ace Hardware in Boston, sold out of his bags of ice-melting pellets. But he said a New Hampshire distributor is helping him and delivering more.

"Everybody is preparing for the storm," he said. "When we have something this big on the horizon, everybody comes in for the ice melt, snow shovels, snow brooms."

Snow plow driver Al Laplant expected to be out clearing roads of Simsbury, Connecticut, this week, just as he has for more than two decades.

"We'll be out there until the storm's over and then at least three hours after cleaning up," he said as he attended a home show in Hartford. "We'll be out there through the whole storm."

But even for a plow driver, the snow is no cakewalk.

"It's kind of exhilarating," he said. "But at the same time, I've been doing it for 27 years, so I'm kind of tired of it myself."
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 01:09:34 pm »

As a resident of Long Island, looking at 1 1/2 to 4' of snow, thanks for your concern.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 01:24:35 pm »
As a resident of Long Island, looking at 1 1/2 to 4' of snow, thanks for your concern.

We have quite a few members affected by this storm..please stay safe everyone and report in if you can...
Support the USO

Offline olde north church

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 01:30:51 pm »

Deserving as in, the region most quickly responding with charitible donations?
Peckerwood.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 01:45:28 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=620625

Newsmax
Airlines Prepare to Shut Down in Northeast for Snowstorm
Sunday, January 25, 2015 09:13 PM

By: By The Associated Press

Airlines are preparing to shut down operations along the East Coast as a major snowstorm packing up to three feet of snow barrels down on the region.

Around 700 flights scheduled for Monday are expected to be cancelled, according to the flight tracking site FlightAware.

Most major airlines are allowing customers whose flights are canceled in the next few days to book new flights without paying a penalty. Customers ticketed on flights to at least two dozen Eastern airports are generally eligible for the allowance, though specific terms vary by airline.

The National Weather Service predicts 2 to 3 feet of snow for a 250-mile stretch of the Northeast, including the New York and Boston areas. Philadelphia should get 14 to 18 inches.
Support the USO

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 01:58:19 pm »
We have about 3" with another 1-2" expected. I'm grateful the worst of it bypassed us.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline aligncare

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 02:22:04 pm »
We have quite a few members affected by this storm..please stay safe everyone and report in if you can...

I canceled patients for the predicted worst part of the storm. The fridge is fully stocked and if we don't lose power I'll be here at TBR until the storm is over.

Good luck to the folks on Long Island and to Orange County, where my daughter will be hunkering down.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 02:49:22 pm »
I canceled patients for the predicted worst part of the storm. The fridge is fully stocked and if we don't lose power I'll be here at TBR until the storm is over.

Good luck to the folks on Long Island and to Orange County, where my daughter will be hunkering down.

If you don't have to go out in it, and if the power doesn't go out - it's quite nice to watch the snow come down.  Good time to make a pot of soup!  Stay warm and dry ac!

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 02:56:16 pm »
Best wishes to all.  Roof loads and the like are a real concern in storms like this.  Please listen to your body if you are outside dealing with the snow.  I know I will be looking for (safe) reports from those affected (AC!!!).  It's crazy I know, but I wish I could be in the middle of it (with shelter, of course).
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 03:01:40 pm by Lando Lincoln »
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline musiclady

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 03:12:05 pm »
Best wishes to all.  Roof loads and the like are a real concern in storms like this.  Please listen to your body if you are outside dealing with the snow.  I know I will be looking for (safe) reports from those affected (AC!!!).  It's crazy I know, but I wish I could be in the middle of it (with shelter, of course).

I doesn't sound crazy to me, Lando!  I'd like to be there too.

We've gotten 6 inches here, and I would love for it to have been a foot or two more!

Hang in there, everyone affected by this storm!  And listen to alice!  Homemade soup sounds awesome for an occasion such as this!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 03:27:49 pm »
http://www.weather.com/storms/winter/news/winter-storm-juno-blizzard-boston-nyc-new-england?cm_ven=Facebook_TheWeatherChannel_Weather_JBa_Article_No_1_20150126

Winter Storm Juno: Northeast Snowstorm Imminent; Blizzard Conditions Forecast in 7 States

Key Points:

Moderate to heavy snow likely from portions of the coastal Mid-Atlantic (New Jersey, far eastern Pennsylvania) to New England.
Peak impacts late Monday through Tuesday night.
Widespread accumulations of 1 to 2 feet likely with some areas picking up over 2 feet. Snow drifts will be even higher.
Blizzard or near-blizzard conditions will make travel dangerous and, in some areas, impossible.
Over 3,500 U.S. flights scheduled for Monday and Tuesday have been canceled, according to FlightAware.
Any flights not canceled will likely be severely delayed; airport closures possible late Monday through Tuesday.
Damaging wind gusts, power outages and coastal flooding also possible.
Moderate snowfall over the central and southern Appalachians; flurries as far south as north Georgia.
Light to moderate snowfall over the central Appalachians Mid-Atlantic states Monday.

Support the USO

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 03:34:33 pm »
My birth city of Buffalo, New York got over TEN FEET of snow over the course of a week...not much more than a month ago.

SIX FEET in 24 hours.

Gimme a break.  Buffalo didn't miss a beat.  Yeah, they have the snow removal equipment, etc..  But it's also a stronger people.

Get two inches of snow today in Washington, and they close schools and annouce liberal leave for government.  A nation of wusses.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 03:34:57 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 03:44:46 pm »
My birth city of Buffalo, New York got over TEN FEET of snow over the course of a week...not much more than a month ago.

SIX FEET in 24 hours.

Gimme a break.  Buffalo didn't miss a beat.  Yeah, they have the snow removal equipment, etc..  But it's also a stronger people.

Get two inches of snow today in Washington, and they close schools and annouce liberal leave for government.  A nation of wusses.

It's the same here - a dusting of snow flurries and they call off school!  The poor kids end up going to school well into June to make up "snow days". 

Pffft!  When I was a kid here, we didn't even have school buses - you walked to school or your parents brought you.  In the entire twelve years I went to public school here - they called school off ONE day!  And that was because of a flu epidemic!  There was no such thing as a "snow day" off from school!  And back then (the stone ages) - little girls were not allowed to wear pants to school - you HAD to wear a dress.  If it was really bad - they would allow you to wear pants UNDER your dress.

Kids today.......they just don't know what they don't know!

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 03:52:25 pm »
I grew up in Wisconsin... while we might have had a day or two of school called off for snow storms, we never had one called off because of cold.  We had cold.  And today, there is instant communication, first rate snow removal equipment, emergency services, etc.  Yes, we were tougher because we were expected to be.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 03:54:42 pm by Lando Lincoln »
John Steinbeck

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 03:54:09 pm »
I grew up in Wisconsin... while we might have had a day or two of school called off for snow storms, we never had one called off because of cold.  And we had cold.

Glad to 'see' you, Lando!   :beer:

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 03:55:07 pm »
John Steinbeck

Offline aligncare

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2015, 04:04:03 pm »
If you don't have to go out in it, and if the power doesn't go out - it's quite nice to watch the snow come down.  Good time to make a pot of soup!  Stay warm and dry ac!

My hearty January soups are all gone. I'll have to rely on my homemade meatballs and penne pasta and marinara sauce to get me through the storm. Oh, the deprivation we must endure ...   ^-^

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2015, 04:08:46 pm »
People should take before and after pics to post here...of course doing so without causing harm to yourself.
Support the USO

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2015, 04:09:49 pm »
I remember being in school in the late 60's - early 70's in Tacoma, Washington where we would have school suspended only when there was a massive snowfall - and only for a day or two.  It would take 3 foot drifts for that to happen.  We didn't have a lot of snow removal equipment because at sea level on the west coast the chances of a big snow were pretty slim.  But within two days enough was removed so city buses could run and the schools would open up then.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2015, 04:13:42 pm »
My hearty January soups are all gone. I'll have to rely on my homemade meatballs and penne pasta and marinara sauce to get me through the storm. Oh, the deprivation we must endure ...   ^-^

Somehow, I think you will "endure" just fine!  Yum!

:beer: