Author Topic: Feds Enlist Disney To Make A ‘Frozen’ Film About The Melting Arctic  (Read 1038 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://dailycaller.com/2015/01/23/feds-enlist-disney-to-make-a-frozen-film-about-the-melting-arctic/?print=1

Feds Enlist Disney To Make A ‘Frozen’ Film About The Melting Arctic
Posted By Michael Bastasch On 2:05 PM 01/23/2015

The Obama administration is looking to Disney to push its global warming agenda on America’s children. A top State Department official revealed he is in talks with the entertainment conglomerate to use characters from the movie “Frozen” to teach kids about global warming.

“I said, you’ve taught an entire generation about the Arctic,” Adm. Robert Papp, the U.S. special envoy for the Arctic, told an audience at a Norwegian conference about his talk with a Disney executive. “Unfortunately, the Arctic that you’ve taught them about is a fantasy kingdom in Norway where everything is nice.”

“What we really need to do is educate the American youth about the plight of the polar bear, about the thawing tundra, about Alaskan villages that run the risk of falling into the sea because of the lack of sea ice protecting their shores,” Papp said.

The State Department wanted to use characters like “Princess Elsa and a talking snowman” to warn Americans about the melting Arctic, reports the National Journal. But Papp’s pitch for a doom and gloom global warming movie didn’t sit well with Disney — a company that prefers happier movies.

“As I continued to talk, I could see the executive getting more and more perplexed, and he said: ‘Admiral, you might not understand: Here at Disney it’s in our culture to tell stories that project optimism and have happy endings,’” Papp said, adding he has watched Frozen “at least 20 times” with his grandchildren.

Papp was appointed as special envoy to the Arctic last summer by President Obama after serving as an admiral in the Navy. He said fighting global warming would be his top priority when the U.S. takes control of the Arctic Council this year.

But there are major factual problems with Papp’s idea for a movie. For instance, there are more polar bears today than there were 40 years ago thanks to restrictions on hunting and trading. Research also shows that polar bears may have been a genetically distinct species for one million years — meaning they survived periods with no ice in the Arctic.

It seems logical that if polar bears survived previous warm, ice-free periods, they could survive another,” said Matthew Cronin, an animal geneticist at the University of Alaska, Fairbanks. “This is of course speculation, but so is predicting they will not survive, as the proponents of the endangered species act listing of polar bears have done.”

The Arctic has also stabilized in the last few years. Daily sea ice data shows levels are slightly above where they were in the 2011 and 2012 winter. Arctic sea ice is also within the standard deviation of 1981 to 2010 coverage levels.

“The Antarctic is actually growing and all the evidence in the last few months suggests many assumptions about the poles was wrong,” Dr. Benny Peiser, director of the Global Warming Policy Forum, told the U.K. Express.

Greenland’s ice sheet has also been stable these last few years. Data shows that Greenland’s ice sheet has seen more growth so far this year than in the last four years. Greenland’s growth in 2015 is also higher than the mean growth for 1990 to 2011.

National Journal notes that Papp’s meeting with Disney was only “informational” and “no collaboration is planned at this time.” But Papp promised there was more to come on this topic.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline flowers

Re: Feds Enlist Disney To Make A ‘Frozen’ Film About The Melting Arctic
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 08:04:43 pm »
I quit watching disney films like these quite some time ago. Cannot enjoy them with the 'agenda' BS in them.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 08:11:06 pm »
Yeah, I heard they're thinking of using "Kumbaya, my Lord" under the opening credits of the film.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 09:35:46 pm »
But Papp’s pitch for a doom and gloom global warming movie didn’t sit well with Disney — a company that prefers happier movies.
Surprising that even "happy" Disney would reject the opportunity to advance such an agenda.

I am completely unfamiliar with "Frozen." I read that a song from it was extremely popular, so I went to YouTube to hear it. Augghh. Fingernails on a chalkboard - I couldn't endure a minute.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 10:34:08 pm »
Surprising that even "happy" Disney would reject the opportunity to advance such an agenda.
Well, they already did.

I don't know how familiar you are with Schoolhouse Rock!, the short animated educational TV series that ABC aired on Saturday mornings from the 1970s to about 1996 (“Conjunction Junction,” “I'm Just a Bill,” and a lot of other shorts that were, for Saturday morning TV and educational efforts, very good). Disney bought the show when it bought ABC, and then they promptly killed it. Well, thirteen years later, they decided to create a new season of eleven episodes devoted entirely to global warming propaganda.

It went straight to DVD.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 02:52:05 am »
I'd like to see a film made of Michael Crichton's "State of Fear" -- which had much to say relevant to the issue of the environment and how that "environmentalism" is being manipulated for poltical gain and favoritism.

There's a reason this one hasn't yet been turned into a film.
Read the book and understand why.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 07:39:26 am »
http://www.nationaljournal.com/energy/state-department-official-wants-disney-s-frozen-to-teach-kids-about-climate-change-20150123

January 23, 2015 A high-ranking State Department official wants to enlist Princess Elsa and a talking snowman to teach the American public about the Arctic.

Adm. Robert Papp, the U.S. special representative for the Arctic, told an audience at the Arctic Frontiers conference in Norway this week that he met with a Disney executive to discuss raising awareness about the polar region using characters from the wildly popular movie Frozen.

You can't be in this business and not see Frozen, Papp said, adding that he has watched the movie at least 20 times thanks to his two young granddaughters. A staffer from his office came up with the idea for Disney to create public service announcements focused on the Arctic starring the movie's main characters: Elsa, a princess with powers over ice and snow; her younger sister, Anna; a reindeer named Sven; and Olaf, a talking snowman who loves summer.

"I said, you've taught an entire generation about the Arctic," Papp said, describing his exchange with the Disney executive. "Unfortunately, the Arctic that you've taught them about is a fantasy kingdom in Norway where everything is nice. What we really need to do is educate the American youth about the plight of the polar bear, about the thawing tundra, about Alaskan villages that run the risk of falling into the sea because of the lack of sea ice protecting their shores."

But Papp said the pitch didn't go over so well because Disney prefers happier tales. "As I continued to talk, I could see the executive getting more and more perplexed, and he said: 'Admiral, you might not understand: Here at Disney it's in our culture to tell stories that project optimism and have happy endings.' "

Papp was appointed envoy to the Arctic last summer. The admiral has said that addressing climate change will be a top priority for the U.S. when it takes the helm of the Arctic Council, an international forum, this spring.

Scientists warn that the Arctic is warming at a rate that is twice as fast as the rest of the world and is highly susceptible to the effects of climate change.

The State Department reached out to Disney about raising Arctic awareness, but it was informational only and no collaboration is planned at this time, a spokesperson for the department said.

Disney did not immediately return a request for comment.

As for Papp, he won't Let It Go. "There's more yet to come there," he promised.

We need to teach children about climate change because they are best people equipped to solve the problem.  Plus most adults won't buy in to the bs.