Author Topic: State of the Union Drew Lowest TV Audience in 15 Years  (Read 564 times)

Offline flowers

State of the Union Drew Lowest TV Audience in 15 Years
« on: January 22, 2015, 05:48:41 pm »
http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2015/01/21/state-of-the-union-drew-lowest-tv-audience-in-15-years/

President Barack Obama‘s 2015 State of the Union address drew the lowest television viewership for any such speech in the last 15 years, according to new data from Nielsen.

The president’s Tuesday address was watched by 31.7 million viewers across 12 broadcast and cable networks that carried the speech live, despite a two-week campaign style tour and a social media blitz to drum up interest.

That’s down from the 33.3 million viewers who tuned in to Mr. Obama’s State of the Union address last year, and the 52.4 million who watched him deliver a 2009 speech to a joint session of Congress early on in his presidency.

And it’s the second-smallest State of the Union audience since Nielsen started collecting the data in 1993. Only Bill Clinton‘s 2000 speech drew a smaller television audience than Mr. Obama’s this year, with about 31.5 million views.

Nielsen’s numbers do not count the online audience, which did not exist in previous years. The White House made an aggressive push this year to promote its own online offering, which contained charts and graphs in addition to a live feed of the speech. All told, the White House reported more than 1.2 million online views of the speech.

In addition, a number of websites and media outlets, including The Wall Street Journal, offered their own streams of the speech—increasing the total number of viewers well beyond the television audience.

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Re: State of the Union Drew Lowest TV Audience in 15 Years
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 01:47:53 am »
Watching paint dry had it's advantages over watching the State of the Union.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: State of the Union Drew Lowest TV Audience in 15 Years
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 01:49:00 am »
Watching paint dry had it's advantages over watching the State of the Union.

Yes! Very much more interesting!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien