Author Topic: Facebook Is the Best Predictor of Your Actions  (Read 1129 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Facebook Is the Best Predictor of Your Actions
« on: January 20, 2015, 03:08:07 pm »
Facebook Is the Best Predictor of Your Actions

Researchers wondering who knows people better, their friends or Facebook, found that Facebook came out on top. Using the information on a subject’s Facebook page, new software proved itself better able to judge someone’s personality than close friends and family members could.

Researchers at the University of Cambridge and Stanford University pitted friends and family against an algorithm to find out which was better at determining a subject’s personality. The friends filled out a survey while the program computed the subject’s Facebook “likes.”

The researchers rated subjects on openness, conscientiousness, extraversion, agreeableness, and neuroticism.

They found that, in most cases, the algorithm was better able to predict a person’s personality traits than close friends were able to do.

“Using several criteria, we show that computers’ judgments of people’s personalities based on their digital footprints are more accurate and valid than judgments made by their close others or acquaintances (friends, family, spouse, colleagues, etc.),” the researchers wrote.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/01/19/facebook-is-the-best-predictor-of-your-actions/

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

Re: Facebook Is the Best Predictor of Your Actions
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 03:12:05 pm »
Always thought those "What kind of [fill-in-the-blank] are you?" quizzes are also an effort on the part of the government's effort to catch terrorists, etc..

Nobody hates the Left as much as I hate them, but I control myself from clicking on "LIKE" for virtually everything except a non-political statement from "Friends".

At least it may keep you from being picked up in the middle of the night in the 1st wave groupings.   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 03:29:40 pm »
Using several criteria, we show that computers’ judgments of people’s personalities based on their digital footprints are more accurate...

This is right in my wheelhouse in terms of what I teach and study.  The obvious problem is how are they measuring people's "true" personalities.  In most cases, researchers measure a person's personality by having him take a personality test.  This does not show us the person's true personality, only the personality he perceives himself to be.  Most people are not well enough in touch with themselves to know who they really are.  Just as an example, do you suppose if we measured OPapaDoc's personality based on a test he took himself, it would reveal his narcissism and deep-seated anger?  No way.

Therefore, it is not surprising that a personality profile based on an individual's Facebook page, which he created himself, is a better predictor of the results of a test he took himself, as opposed to what people who know him say.  Unfortunately, this is what passes as science today.  As a social scientist myself, however, I love it because the endless and pointless navel contemplation results in full and lasting employment for me.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 04:02:24 pm »
endless and pointless navel contemplation results in full and lasting employment for me
:silly:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 04:24:38 pm »
Always thought those "What kind of [fill-in-the-blank] are you?" quizzes are also an effort on the part of the government's effort to catch terrorists, etc..

Nobody hates the Left as much as I hate them, but I control myself from clicking on "LIKE" for virtually everything except a non-political statement from "Friends".

At least it may keep you from being picked up in the middle of the night in the 1st wave groupings.   :laugh:

Then I'm screwed.  I click "like" on political stuff that I'm sure puts me on the Watch List!      :th_10444:

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 04:50:45 pm »
Then I'm screwed.  I click "like" on political stuff that I'm sure puts me on the Watch List!      :th_10444:

Uh-oh.....I suppose when they waterboard you to 'talk', you'll give us all up and sing like Streisand.   :silly:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 04:51:18 pm by DCPatriot »

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 05:07:34 pm »
Uh-oh.....I suppose when they waterboard you to 'talk', you'll give us all up and sing like Streisand.   :silly:

Sadly true, considering I have a deep fear of drowning.   Pour a teaspoon of water down my nose and I'm putty in your hands!  Sorry.   :shrug:

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 02:45:46 am »
That's one place you won't find me.

Never been a member there, never will be.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 01:30:39 pm »
I'm really cutting back on Facebook interaction. It has proven to have value for me in reuniting with old college and high school friends, though.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org