Author Topic: Politico: Tea Party, Down But Not Out, Plans 2016 Comeback  (Read 18902 times)

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Re: Politico: Tea Party, Down But Not Out, Plans 2016 Comeback
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2015, 04:14:04 am »
Oooo, we like to put words in peoples mouths... I never said anything about FEMA nor anything about National Emergency.
I said disaster support is something everyone would agree on as long as it was not abused.
I never specified how it would be delivered or under what conditions.

OK then, who (if not FEMA) organizes and dispenses Federal disaster support?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2015, 04:20:48 am »
Luis wrote above:
[[ I REALLY object to your constant use of the therm RINO. ]]

Well, that's too bad, Luis.

"RINO" is what it is. A term that accurately describes a political critter, one that is doing great damage to the body politic.

You complaint reminds me of those of the left (particularly blacks), who are "offended" by anything that they don't like or don't want to hear. And who cry "racis'" as a result.

Is calling someone a "RINO" meant to "demean and disparage"?
I certainly hope so!

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2015, 04:27:36 am »
Constitution, Article I, section 8, clause 1:  The Congress shall have power to ... provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States ...;

I'm not sure how one excises just disaster relief from the concept of "general welfare".

Hamilton argued that to interpret the General Welfare Clause as "an unlimited commission to exercise every power which may be alleged to be necessary for the common defense or general welfare" (Federalist #41) the way that you just did, makes the enumeration of specific powers that make up the remainder of the Constitution unnecessary and even absurd.

Why grant any Branch of the Federal government any power when any act that they take be interpreted to be necessary for the General Welfare of the nation?

The pertinent part of the Constitution is the enumeration of specific powers granted to the Federal government by the several States.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 04:28:08 am by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2015, 04:29:07 am »
Luis wrote above:

"RINO" is what it is. A term that accurately describes a political critter, one that is doing great damage to the body politic.

You complaint reminds me of those of the left (particularly blacks), who are "offended" by anything that they don't like or don't want to hear. And who cry "racis'" as a result.

I certainly hope so!

That says a whole lot more about you than it does about me sir.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2015, 04:39:43 am »
[[ That says a whole lot more about you than it does about me sir. ]]

"Frankly... I don't give a damn!"
(apologies to whoever that guy was...)  ;)

Addendum:
I don't think politics should be civil, or polite.
I don't expect, nor do I WANT, to be that way towards others who would, if they could, take all I have, worked, and saved for. Who would put dissenters or those "uncorrect" into camps -- or worse.

I've said it before, I'll say it again:
"Politics is war conducted by other means." (to paraphrase that guy von Clauswitz).

I recall reading about a time either just prior or not long after the War Between the States, when there were actual fisticuffs in Congress. That's just fine with me. I'd like to see more of it.
I think one of the great moments of modern politics was when Joe Wilson shouted "you lie!" at Obama at that state-of-the-union back about six years ago. We definitely more people like him in government.

Fishrrman working on his keyboard:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 04:48:17 am by Fishrrman »

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2015, 04:50:35 am »
That's a SATIRE site.  Come on, man.  Rand Paul never said those things.  I typically look forward to your posts, but you got WHOOSHED on that one, Once-ler!   :thud:

Ouch. :silly:
Nevermind.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 05:03:38 am by Once-Ler »

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2015, 11:39:28 am »
Did you support the Federal DoMA?

IMHO, the defense of marriage act was a direct result of years of social engineering at the federal and state level.
For example, God created the IRS, and thus created exemptions to reward people for acceptable behavior (marriage, kids, houses, RV's, Boats, etc) .
The states followed suite and enhanced the engineering (death benefits, hospital visitation, reward for kids, etc).

Those that were not married were not only denied "benefits" awarded to married and in fact, are actually penalized and put less of a strain on the infrastructure (schools, etc).  Of course this is all changing now with more single parents.

So I believe if it were not for all of the "rewards" for good behavior, we would likely not even have this conversation.
Taking money from one "class" and giving it to another, sound familiar?

But the politicians need a way to buy votes with our money so it is unlikely this will change.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2015, 12:35:06 pm »
IMHO, the defense of marriage act was a direct result of years of social engineering at the federal and state level.
For example, God created the IRS, and thus created exemptions to reward people for acceptable behavior (marriage, kids, houses, RV's, Boats, etc) .
The states followed suite and enhanced the engineering (death benefits, hospital visitation, reward for kids, etc).

Those that were not married were not only denied "benefits" awarded to married and in fact, are actually penalized and put less of a strain on the infrastructure (schools, etc).  Of course this is all changing now with more single parents.

So I believe if it were not for all of the "rewards" for good behavior, we would likely not even have this conversation.
Taking money from one "class" and giving it to another, sound familiar?

But the politicians need a way to buy votes with our money so it is unlikely this will change.

A simple yes or no will do.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2015, 12:39:42 pm »

Unfortunately, I do not live in a binary world.

I am opposed to ALL forms of federal social engineering.
Why does the leadership of the world need to know who you are married to?  Don't they have more important things to work on?

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #109 on: January 23, 2015, 01:47:05 pm »

I will leave you with this to mull over.

One of the reasons we have states and counties is to allow variations in "culture".  Since the state issues the marriage license, it should be up to the state who is able to marry.  If NY wants to have gay marriage that is ok but another state should not be forced to accept it.  But with the heavy involvement of the feds in private/state issues via social engineering/taxes/benefits/regulations/etc, this won't work.

The same conversation holds true for a number off topics to include abortion.

Online libertybele

« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2015, 03:26:35 am »
Luis wrote above:

I certainly hope so!

:amen: 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Carling

« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2015, 03:30:11 am »

I certainly hope so!

That about says it all.  No need for me to read this guy's posts anymore.  Is there an ignore feature here?
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2015, 03:58:23 am »
That about says it all.  No need for me to read this guy's posts anymore.  Is there an ignore feature here?

Yes.

I use it often.

Offline GourmetDan

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2015, 08:07:29 am »
Go up a few posts and click on your name.  It will take you to your profile page.  Click on modify profile.  Scroll down to modify ignore list.  Under "add to ignore list", type in, or cut and paste Fishrrman.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2015, 01:53:46 pm »
IMO, using the ignore feature in a forum of this size is unnecessary.

Furthermore, if somebody else quotes the ignored poster, you'll still see his/her posts.

I find it much easier to simply use the scroll wheel on my mouse.   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline musiclady

« Reply #116 on: January 25, 2015, 02:43:10 pm »
IMO, using the ignore feature in a forum of this size is unnecessary.

Furthermore, if somebody else quotes the ignored poster, you'll still see his/her posts.

I find it much easier to simply use the scroll wheel on my mouse.   :laugh:

Totally agree, DC.

There is no one on this forum who has nothing to offer to the discussion.

In some ways putting someone on 'ignore' is a sign of intolerance and narrow-mindedness.

There are forums where it's necessary (one I was on had some really obnoxious leftists who had to be ignored), but not this one.

Maybe use the feature temporarily, but all the time??

It's just not necessary here.

JMHO.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2015, 04:11:05 pm »
I have been very tempted to use the "ignore" button here a few times over the years, especially during the 2012 primary.  In the end, just as I was about to click the mouse, I realized that putting someone on ignore said a whole lot more about me and my inability to control my ruffled feathers than it did about whoever was ruffling them.  So I've never done it, though I have come close.

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2015, 04:17:11 pm »
I have been very tempted to use the "ignore" button here a few times over the years, especially during the 2012 primary.  In the end, just as I was about to click the mouse, I realized that putting someone on ignore said a whole lot more about me and my inability to control my ruffled feathers than it did about whoever was ruffling them.  So I've never done it, though I have come close.

I have never used the "ignore" button on this forum, or on any other. I never will. That is my decision of course, and to each his or her own. But I think it's cowardly to do so.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2015, 04:19:07 pm »
Wow.

Good thing right wingers aren't judgmental or anything.

:whistle:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2015, 04:21:04 pm »
I have never used the "ignore" button on this forum, or on any other. I never will. That is my decision of course, and to each his or her own. But I think it's cowardly to do so.

I've used it once or twice for a couple of days when someone has said something that made me particularly angry. Gives me time to cool off.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2015, 04:22:35 pm »

Obviously the answer to your question is rather intricate and contains several layers.

Yes... there is such a feature here and available for your use, as designed by the site's architects.

Yes... it is your choice to use it. You may be a coward, a lesser man, intolerant, narrow-minded, incapable of exercising self-control and even lazy, but it is your choice to be all those things.

Having noted the fact that I do use the button, I gather I'm all those things.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 04:26:04 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #122 on: January 25, 2015, 05:37:52 pm »
I've used it once or twice for a couple of days when someone has said something that made me particularly angry. Gives me time to cool off.

I think that's the best way to use it.

There's not a single person on this forum who doesn't deserve to be heard, nor their thoughts considered.

Occasionally most of us lose perspective, let our emotions get the best of us, get too sarcastic for our own good, or say things we really don't mean, but there is no one here who is worthy of being completely ignored.

I agree that it says more about us than it does about others if we completely shut out a perspective that is other than our own.

Short term for our own benefit, perhaps, but completely ignoring a rational human being (as we all are here)?  Not a good thing.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #123 on: January 25, 2015, 05:59:17 pm »
Where in the Constitution is the Federal government granted the power to create FEMA, or the a president given the power to declare a "National emergency"?

You could say it's provided in the 10th Amendment, where all other rights not enumerated above are granted to the people.  The "representatives" of the "People" passed laws and created the bureaus and shelled out the cash.
That would be, if you believe such things.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #124 on: January 25, 2015, 06:11:57 pm »
You could say it's provided in the 10th Amendment, where all other rights not enumerated above are granted to the people.  The "representatives" of the "People" passed laws and created the bureaus and shelled out the cash.
That would be, if you believe such things.

If you use such logic, coupled with the expansive, anything goes interpretation of the General Welfare Clause, then we have a government with no limitations and infinite power, since the actions of any elected official can be interpreted as the will of the people.

Using that logic, no law that the Congress passes, no Executive Order and no Judicial findings are unconstitutional since they were all crafted by elected representatives or their appointees.

By the same token, We the People have rights limited strictly to the narrowest definition of those rights enumerated in the Bill of Rights and subsequent Amendments, and even those rights are suspect since any violation (as per your argument above) is legitimate since it was the Will of the People as expressed via their votes for the government agency or representative responsible for the violation of those rights. 

I don't buy the "the Constitution doesn't prohibit it or list it so it must be OK" argument, since what's not prohibited or listed in the Constitution is a far greater list of things than the specific Enumerated Powers and restrictions.

I believe in limited government, not unlimited government.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 06:12:42 pm by Luis Gonzalez »