Author Topic: Ebola Centers in Liberia Built by US Troops Stand Empty  (Read 706 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Ebola Centers in Liberia Built by US Troops Stand Empty
« on: January 19, 2015, 06:14:07 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=619375

Newsmax
Ebola Centers in Liberia Built by US Troops Stand Empty
Monday, January 19, 2015 12:41 PM

By: John Blosser

Several of the Ebola treatment centers erected by the U.S. in Liberia stand empty today, and some have never treated a single patient.

On Sept. 16, President Obama announced that 3,000 U.S. military troops would travel to West Africa to construct 17 Ebola treatment hospitals, but before the centers could be put into use, the epidemic began to recede, The Washington Post reports.

Construction of two of the centers was canceled. Out of seven treatment centers built in Liberia's capital Monrovia, one is closed down and three have suspended operations, the Post reports.

The decision to construct the centers was made when the epidemic was raging and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in September predicted a worst case scenario of 1.4 million Ebola cases by January, New York magazine reports.

There have been 21,373 total cases of Ebola reported, and 8,483 deaths, with the vast majority in West Africa, including 3,556 in Liberia, the BBC reports.

The U.N. is continuing to build treatment centers, mostly through UNICEF, and Laurence Sailly, head of mission for Doctors Without Borders in Liberia, commented to the Post, "It just makes no sense."

The CDC's prediction, which later proved to be wildly overinflated, triggered a massive international response, which still continues.

Douglas Mercado, USAID administrator in Liberia told the Post, "With that kind of dire prediction from the CDC, and not having seen anything like this before, we had to try everything at our disposal."

Moses Massaquoi, the Liberian government head of Ebola case management, told the Post, "If they had been built when we needed them, it wouldn’t have been too much, but they were too late."

Officials bristle at the Monday morning quarterbacking, with Gen. Gary Volesky, the head U.S. military officer in Liberia, telling the Post, "A lot of people are evaluating the strategy based on what we know today, not what we knew at the time."

No one is sure what caused the outbreak suddenly to dissipate, and Volesky told the Post, "I don’t think you can point to one silver bullet that solved Ebola. My argument is it’s the whole strategy that’s showing us a positive trend."

However, officials cautioned, the Ebola crisis may be far from over.

The U.N.'s Ebola head, David Nabarro, told Fox News that, "There are still numbers of new cases that are alarming, and there are hotspots that are emerging in new places that make me believe there is still quite a lot of the disease that we're not seeing."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline olde north church

Re: Ebola Centers in Liberia Built by US Troops Stand Empty
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 08:03:34 pm »
SHUT UP AND PAY YOUR TAXES!
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 08:57:49 pm »
No one is sure what caused the outbreak suddenly to dissipate
Perhaps it was no longer an effective diversion from the other disasters in the world.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline olde north church

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 11:20:40 am »
Perhaps it was no longer an effective diversion from the other disasters in the world.

:amen:

Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

rangerrebew

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 11:40:29 am »
Turns Out Obama Wasted $750 Million On Completely Empty Ebola Hospitals

By V. Saxena, January 19, 2015.

This past fall, President Obama Barack Hussein Obama decided to spend $750 million to combat Ebola in West Africa. Fast forward to yesterday, when we learned via the Washington Post that the many Ebola treatment centers built with our tax dollars remain completely empty:

The U.S. military sent about 3,000 troops to West Africa to build centers . . . They were intended as a crucial safeguard against an epidemic that flared in unpredictable, deadly waves. But as the outbreak fades in Liberia, it has become clear that the disease had already drastically subsided before the first American centers were completed. Several of the U.S.-built units haven’t seen a single patient infected with Ebola.

Obama administration officials not surprisingly “reject the suggestion that resources were misallocated.” This despite the fact that surplus tents loaded with “excess supplies” (mattresses, food, medicine, etc.) dot the horizon. This also despite the fact that the rate of new Ebola patients averages less than one per day. Also keep in mind that there are plenty of international aid organizations building Ebola centers of their own.

So to recap, instead of imposing a simple travel ban as requested by Republicans, President Barack Hussein Obama decided to waste $750 million of taxpayer funds on what turned out to be a fairly worthless project.

I guess the second biggest lie of the year is this: If you build it, they will come!

Story Lead via [Hannity]

http://downtrend.com/vsaxena/obama-wasted-750-million-on-ebola-hospitals/
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 11:41:08 am by rangerrebew »

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 01:17:56 pm »
I'm not surprised.  In my humble opinion he wanted our troops somewhere else besides here.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.