Author Topic: Romney considers another presidential run  (Read 3141 times)

Offline libertybele

Re: Romney considers another presidential run
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2015, 08:52:07 pm »
With all due respect here, and I certainly don't want to beat this issue to death, but last time I checked we live in the United States of America and we speak ENGLISH!    The immigration issue is huge!  So is the 2nd amendment.  Perhaps we can agree that both Romney and Bush are RINO's.  I would NEVER however vote for Bush due to my experience of living in a state where he was governor.  Illegal immigration is/was a tremendous problem here.

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2015, 09:11:44 pm »
Kansas wrote above (about my staying home on election day):
[[ That very opinion is what gave us Owebama in the last election.  So by saying you are staying home you are giving a voting slot to the demorats, probably Hillary.  Do you really think Hillary would be better than Romney or Bush? ]]

You know, ten or fifteen years ago I would have written exactly what you did above, if someone said what I said above earlier.

But not today.

Today, I see myself as being in the same frame of mind that a supporter of the Whig party might have held back around 1856.

And I regard your comment above as if it had been spoken to me by -other- Whigs after having mentioned (back in 1856) that I was no longer interested in supporting that party.

Whether I will conclude that it's worth my while to support the Republicans in 2016 will depend on what we see them do in the coming months.

If they act like an opposition party, and OPPOSE, they'll probably get my vote.

But if they act like the "GOP-e business as usual" party, ain't so certain.

I'm tired of GOP candidates that stand for nothing and [even if elected] would do next-to-nothing to halt the nation's slide toward oblivion.

Let some other true believer vote for them. I'm just tired of it.
It may actually take a "democratic reign of terror" for a few election cycles before the masses of voters actually wake up and start demanding a "second party" that actually does something.

By then, that "second party" may NOT be "The Republican Party"...

(By the way, I have a luxury regarding this that others probably don't have. I live in Connecticut, one of the deepest-blue of the blue states. There is almost zero chance a Republican will again be elected to statewide office here, ever. And almost no chance that the state will vote Republican in a presidential election again. Even if cast for the Pubbies, my vote will be of no consequence nationally. So for me, voting or not voting has little effect, other than for some local/county candidates...)

I hope your grandchildren wear the chains lightly.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2015, 09:35:40 pm »
GOP at or near record levels of representatives at both the federal and state levels, plus Governors.

That is far from a movement that is in trouble.

More aptly, the Tea Party movement is in trouble, with little or no recent success, and declining approval sine the peak in 2010.

The first step in any recovery program is admitting you have a problem, yet I see nothing of that nature from the rebels; in fact quite the opposite.

If you read the remarks by real conservatives@ you'd think Karl Rove was a candidate, for office or he was a democrat.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2015, 09:54:24 pm »
GOP at or near record levels of representatives at both the federal and state levels, plus Governors.

More aptly, the Tea Party movement is in trouble, with little or no recent success, and declining approval sine the peak in 2010.

The first step in any recovery program is admitting you have a problem, yet I see nothing of that nature from the rebels; in fact quite the opposite.

If you read the remarks by real conservatives@ you'd think Karl Rove was a candidate, for office or he was a democrat.

The trouble with the Tea Party is two-fold.  First, a quick grab by so-cons.  Second, to paraphrase a wiseman, "The American people are stupid."

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2015, 10:04:30 pm »
The trouble with the Tea Party is two-fold.  First, a quick grab by so-cons.  Second, to paraphrase a wiseman, "The American people are stupid."
I was fascinated and optimistic about the Tea Party at the beginning. They seemed headed in a wise direction, politically. They said they were about fiscal responsibility, and not divisive social issues.

They did well in 2010, but that success gave so-cons a vehicle to hijack, and start running Angle, Akins, Buck, Mourdock, O'Donnell....with uinpopular social views.

The democrats were handed easy targets, because the TP now was running people far different than the original premise of the movement.

So the TP had few or no successes in 2012, and 2014. Gallup conducted polls over a long period, and the approval of the TP has declined significantly, in spite of unsupported claims to the contrary.

In order for the movement to again be useful and elect people, they need to go back to the initial premise--avoid social issues.

And then vet their candidates.

But from my vantage point, their is so much invested by fundraisers in keeping the TP as a vehicle for their OWN benefit, and their OWN benefit rides on a fringe image, it is not easily possible to start again.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2015, 12:19:24 am »

Could you please tell me who, exactly, the Tea Party is? 

Offline speekinout

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2015, 02:26:02 am »
I don't think it's completely fair to compare governing records for Bush & Romney when deciding which one is more conservative. Romney governed in a very left leaning state with a dim legislature. Bush governed in a state with a GOP legislature. Any conservative ideas Romney managed to get passed were much more work and much more leadership than anything Bush had to deal with.
If you just consider the things they want to do and what they support in speech and individual effort, I think Romney is the more conservative one.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2015, 02:47:19 am »
Could you please tell me who, exactly, the Tea Party is?

Venturing a guess, the Tea Party is anybody that hates what Obama has done to the country.

"We' don't need no steenkin labels".
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2015, 03:30:45 am »
olde north wrote above:
[[ I hope your grandchildren wear the chains lightly. ]]

No grandchildren here.
No children, either. The lineage ends with me.
So I really shouldn't care, but still I do. If I didn't care I wouldn't post.

I'd like to be the idealist, but I can't:
"Reality is what it is. It is not what we believe it to be."

Of course, it may be your grandchildren in chains.

The "reality" is that they may have to bear the burden of those chains for a while, before they can find the means to cast them off. Because so many of their contemporaries ENJOY "wearin' the chains." They prefer them to freedom.

How does the saying go?
Ah, found it in my archives:
  From bondage to spiritual faith;
  From spiritual faith to great courage;
  From courage to liberty;
  From liberty to abundance;
  From abundance to complacency;
  From complacency to apathy;
  From apathy to dependence;
  From dependence back into bondage.

Where are we today?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 03:31:53 am by Fishrrman »

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2015, 04:16:34 am »
olde north wrote above:
[[ I hope your grandchildren wear the chains lightly. ]]

No grandchildren here.
No children, either. The lineage ends with me.
So I really shouldn't care, but still I do. If I didn't care I wouldn't post.

I'd like to be the idealist, but I can't:
"Reality is what it is. It is not what we believe it to be."

Of course, it may be your grandchildren in chains.

The "reality" is that they may have to bear the burden of those chains for a while, before they can find the means to cast them off. Because so many of their contemporaries ENJOY "wearin' the chains." They prefer them to freedom.

How does the saying go?
Ah, found it in my archives:
  From bondage to spiritual faith;
  From spiritual faith to great courage;
  From courage to liberty;
  From liberty to abundance;
  From abundance to complacency;
  From complacency to apathy;
  From apathy to dependence;
  From dependence back into bondage.

Where are we today?

No kids or grandkids here either.