Author Topic: Laura Ingraham: Conservative Christians Don't Have Shot at WH  (Read 7223 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=617444

Newsmax
Laura Ingraham: Conservative Christians Don't Have Shot at WH
Thursday, January 8, 2015 09:31 PM

By: Greg Richter

Though she likes former Fox News host Mike Huckabee, radio talk show host Laura Ingraham says he and conservative Christians like him aren't likely electable to the presidency anymore.

Society has turned more secular, Ingraham said Thursday on Fox News Channel's "The O'Reilly Factor."

"I think social conservatives are in a bind," she said. "For 40 years now they have wanted one thing first and foremost, which is Roe vs. Wade to be overturned. All their effort, all the great marches, it hasn't happened."

Republican presidents have promised to appoint Supreme Court justices to overturn the 1973 ruling making abortion legal nationwide, but they haven't followed through, Ingraham said. "There is some demoralization going on in the social conservative community."

Still, she said, Huckabee is a "formidable voice." But she thinks he would have been better positioned for a White House run had he spent his post-gubernatorial years serving in the U.S. Senate from Arkansas rather than as a talk-show host.

Huckabee left his weekend Fox News Channel show on Saturday to consider a run for president in 2016.

"A lot of people agree with him. We have a spiritual deficit," Ingraham said, but said she can't see a pathway to the nomination for Huckabee.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Re: Laura Ingraham: Conservative Christians Don't Have Shot at WH
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 01:50:38 am »
The Huckster is not a conservative.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline aligncare

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 02:20:49 am »
Politics has never lost its capacity to surprise. We can never know who will sparkle or who will fizzle. That's what so attracts us to these fora; the element of uncertainty.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 02:23:20 am »
Laura Ingraham is just insufferable!  I was in love with her 15 years ago, but she has become such a rigid, angry woman.  It's no wonder she can't seem to have a relationship that ends in marriage.  What man would want to put up with what she has become?

Huckabee has way too much baggage, in spite of his views, to be elected.  Nobody mentions this anymore, but pardoning the felon who eventually killed four Seattle police officers is a deal-killer, for me.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Carling

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 02:35:02 am »
Laura Ingraham is just insufferable!  I was in love with her 15 years ago, but she has become such a rigid, angry woman.  It's no wonder she can't seem to have a relationship that ends in marriage.  What man would want to put up with what she has become?

Huckabee has way too much baggage, in spite of his views, to be elected.  Nobody mentions this anymore, but pardoning the felon who eventually killed four Seattle police officers is a deal-killer, for me.

I agree 100% with what Ingraham said.  An evangelical Christian fundamentalist can't win the presidency, at least without lying about his or her religious beliefs.

Your complaint about Laura has nothing to do with the topic of this thread, does it?
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 02:49:14 am »
While I agree that a conservative Christian Republican cannot win the presidency, I submit that no Republican presidential nominee can win the general election WITHOUT Christian conservative votes. 

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 02:49:48 am »
I agree 100% with what Ingraham said.  An evangelical Christian fundamentalist can't win the presidency, at least without lying about his or her religious beliefs.

Your complaint about Laura has nothing to do with the topic of this thread, does it?

Yes it does.

Huckabee, her favorite, is a phony. He's an economic populist, soft on immigration, and pardoned a killer. In fact, he's the opposite of everything Ingraham stands for. He talks a good game but that's all.

I don't want a Christian fundamentalist as president. Anyone who accepts a six-day creation story is too stupid to be president.

Offline Carling

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 02:56:17 am »
While I agree that a conservative Christian Republican cannot win the presidency, I submit that no Republican presidential nominee can win the general election WITHOUT Christian conservative votes.

I agree 100% with this.   :beer:

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 02:59:15 am »

This is true, as was proven in 2012 by the massive ass-sitting that took place among evangelicals with Romney on the ticket. Fundamentalists don't like Mormons and they'll live with a Democrat rather than vote for one.

See what I mean by "stupid"?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 03:00:16 am by sinkspur »

Offline Carling

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 03:02:02 am »
Yes it does.

Huckabee, her favorite, is a phony. He's an economic populist, soft on immigration, and pardoned a killer. In fact, he's the opposite of everything Ingraham stands for. He talks a good game but that's all.

I don't want a Christian fundamentalist as president. Anyone who accepts a six-day creation story is too stupid to be president.

Huckabee is a joke.  I must have misinterpreted your original post in this thread.  I didn't realize she was supporting Huckabee.  What a loser candidate that guy would be.  He's big government from the social right, in that he wants to legislate restrictions on morality.

Offline Carling

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 03:05:01 am »
This is true, as was proven in 2012 by the massive ass-sitting that took place among evangelicals with Romney on the ticket. Fundamentalists don't like Mormons and they'll live with a Democrat rather than vote for one.

See what I mean by "stupid"?

I find it that evangelicals are as bigoted against Mormons.  I don't understand why.  Faith is faith, and I would hope the far right Christians would be secure enough in their own faith as to not mock and hate those who don't believe in their interpretation of a Christian god.  Yet, that's not the case, and intolerance runs rampant. 

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2015, 03:18:12 am »

My my!  Someone with your history making a statement like that!   **nononono*
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 03:21:04 am »

What do you mean by that?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2015, 03:25:09 am »

I ask again:  What do you mean by that?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2015, 03:26:00 am »
I ask again:  What do you mean by that?

You know damned well what I mean by that! I was at TOS for a LONG time!

« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 03:26:45 am by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2015, 03:26:43 am »
You know damned well what I mean by that!

Actually, I don't. What do you mean by your statement?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2015, 03:29:17 am »
Played a priest for quite a while didn't you!!!

No I didn't.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2015, 03:31:55 am »
No I didn't.

LOL! OK! My Mistake!  (I could go and find the posts but you aren't worth spending that much time on!)

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2015, 03:34:05 am »
LOL! OK! My Mistake!  (I could go and find the posts but you aren't worth spending that much time on!)

It's not a mistake. It's a slur.

In any case, what does that have to do with Huckabee's Christian fundamentalism?  Or my contention that anyone who accepts a six-day creation story doesn't deserve the presidency?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2015, 03:40:55 am »

I'll assume this conversation is over. Thanks for demonstrating, once again, why you don't have the first idea of what a forum like this is about.

We discuss ideas and people in the news. We do not direct our ire at other posters.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2015, 04:09:11 am »
I didn't watch the show she said this on, so I don't know the context in which Laura was replying.  Was she pushing her support of Huckabee, or was she asked about him and she was just trying to be nice?  I can't believe that Huck would be her favorite. 

Anyway, she's right that he doesn't have a chance - but I think that's more to do with his Gomer Pyle looks and corny folksy banter.  He is a populist and perhaps wears religion on his sleeve - Elmer Gantry style. 

If anything, FOX would be encouraging Huckabee so as to crowd their perception of the field that would appeal to the "religious right".  FOX is so establishment that way.  They're pushing Jeb Bush right now, but keeping Mitt Romney in the wings just in case. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2015, 04:20:55 am »
Carling wrote above:
[[ I find it that evangelicals are as bigoted against Mormons.  I don't understand why. ]]

======
On October 14th, 1838 Joseph Smith equated himself with Muhammad. As reported by another Mormon historian, in a speech given to “every able-bodied Mormon in Caldwell County” Missouri, the Prophet said,

“If the people will let us alone we will preach the gospel in peace. But if they come on us to molest us, we will establish our religion by the sword. We will trample down our enemies and make it one gore of blood from the Rocky Mountains to the Atlantic Ocean. I will be to this generation a second Mohammed, whose motto in treating for peace was ‘Alcoran or the Sword.’ So shall it eventually be with us — ‘Joseph Smith or the Sword!’”
=====

Aside:
One of the best friends I had in my youth was a Mormon, and he once told me that I would make a better Mormon than he did (because I didn't drink, smoke, or use drugs).
I also spent a little time in Utah 30 years ago, and thought it was a great place. Visited the LDS center at the Temple, the genealogical records building, etc.

But the quote above, "from the horse's mouth", as they say, may have something' to do with the way Evangelicals feel...

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2015, 04:29:37 am »
Carling wrote above:
[[ I find it that evangelicals are as bigoted against Mormons.  I don't understand why. ]]

======
On October 14th, 1838 Joseph Smith equated himself with Muhammad. As reported by another Mormon historian, in a speech given to “every able-bodied Mormon in Caldwell County” Missouri, the Prophet said,

“If the people will let us alone we will preach the gospel in peace. But if they come on us to molest us, we will establish our religion by the sword. We will trample down our enemies and make it one gore of blood from the Rocky Mountains to the Atlantic Ocean. I will be to this generation a second Mohammed, whose motto in treating for peace was ‘Alcoran or the Sword.’ So shall it eventually be with us — ‘Joseph Smith or the Sword!’”
=====

Aside:
One of the best friends I had in my youth was a Mormon, and he once told me that I would make a better Mormon than he did (because I didn't drink, smoke, or use drugs).
I also spent a little time in Utah 30 years ago, and thought it was a great place. Visited the LDS center at the Temple, the genealogical records building, etc.

But the quote above, "from the horse's mouth", as they say, may have something' to do with the way Evangelicals feel...

If evangelicals are wlling to give an election to Barack Obama over an 1838 quote, then they're a whole lot dumber than I thought.

Offline Carling

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2015, 08:41:22 am »
If evangelicals are willing to give an election to Barack Obama over an 1838 quote, then they're a whole lot dumber than I thought.

I couldn't have said it better myself.   

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2015, 12:01:25 pm »
If evangelicals are wlling to give an election to Barack Obama over an 1838 quote, then they're a whole lot dumber than I thought.

Evangelicals are who they are.  They never agreed or claimed to blindly vote lockstep for every GOP candidate.

I think the more relevant statement would be to say that if Republicans are willing to give an election to Barack Obama by nominating a candidate who is anathema to conservative Christians, then THEY are as dumb as I have always maintained they are.