Author Topic: Obama asks nation to embrace recovery  (Read 611 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Obama asks nation to embrace recovery
« on: January 08, 2015, 12:31:18 am »
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/228829-obama-asks-nation-to-embrace-economic-recovery

By Justin Sink - 01/07/15 05:26 PM EST

President Obama on Wednesday asked Americans to embrace the economic recovery, seeking to parlay encouraging economic signs into political momentum for the final quarter of his presidency.

“We have every right to be proud of what we've got to show for all that hard work,” Obama told a gathering of autoworkers at a Ford plant near Detroit. “America's resurgence is real. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise. We got the best cards and we are doing better than just about anybody else on earth.”

Detroit was the first stop in a three-day tour previewing the president’s State of the Union address.
“I didn't want to wait for the State of the Union to talk about all the things that make this country great and how we can make it better,” Obama said, joking it was “like opening your Christmas presents a little early.”

The president revealed few concrete details, but did say that the annual address would be organized around the idea of “building on the progress that we've already made.”

“We can make sure that the middle class is the engine that powers American prosperity for decades to come,” Obama said.

On Thursday, Obama will travel to Arizona and announce that his administration is cutting insurance premiums on federally backed mortgages.

The next day, he’s headed to Tennessee to outline a new proposal for college affordability.

White House officials see the campaign as a way to put congressional Republicans, who have devoted much of the early congressional calendar to votes on ObamaCare and the Keystone XL pipeline, on defense. They also think the strategy can help tie Obama to a rebounding economy.

Central to that strategy is convincing voters wary about their economic security that things are getting better.

In Detroit, Obama repeatedly drew comparisons between the nation’s overall economic success and that of the auto industry. He noted that last month, the government had completed its involvement in the multibillion dollar bailouts of Chrysler and GM, and bragged that the companies “have now repaid taxpayers every dime and more of what my administration invested in you.”

Critics noted that the program began during the Bush administration, and that the president’s statement did not account for billions lost in the initial months of the bailout.

Obama also looked to claim ownership of the recovery, saying he decided to continue the bailout despite the advice of many in Washington, including members of his own policy team.

“I ran not just to do the easy things,” he said. “I ran to do the right thing, and saving the auto industry was the right thing to do.”

The president also played to the hometown crowd, noting their Lions had been eliminated from the playoffs last weekend on a highly controversial refereeing decision that the president labeled “a little suspect.”

“But all I can say — because I'm used to saying this, I'm a Bears fan — there's always next year,” Obama said. “And look, you've got a lot to be hopeful for ... and if there's one thing that you can take to the bank when talking about Detroit, it's that Detroit always comes back.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Re: Obama asks nation to embrace recovery
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 01:14:14 am »
Despite a stock market propped up by QE to Infinity, fake unemployment numbers, and the media pimping the "Obama recovery" for 6 years, most Americans know the economy is not in good shape and it is all a smoke screen.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Carling

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 01:30:50 am »
Despite a stock market propped up by QE to Infinity, fake unemployment numbers, and the media pimping the "Obama recovery" for 6 years, most Americans know the economy is not in good shape and it is all a smoke screen.

Obama is so irrelevant at this point, and he doesn't even know it.  America just shouted him down.  It's humorous, yet dangerous.  He quite literally has no allies on either side of the aisle at this point.  He's treated Dems even worse than he's treated the GOP congress members.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 02:58:26 pm »

:amen:  Exactly what the hell are we supposed to embrace?  Obamacare?  Benghazigate?  IRS scandal?  VA scandal?  The millions on food stamps or the millions that can't find work or have lost their jobs? 
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.