Author Topic: Mia Love explains why she voted for John Boehner as House speaker  (Read 19383 times)

Offline musiclady

Re: Mia Love explains why she voted for John Boehner as House speaker
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2015, 01:15:40 am »
Thank you for the refreshing remark.

I have spent most of my career around labor unions.  I always tell them I will never lie to them.  I might tell them something that is dead-wrong, but I will never knowingly deceive them.  It has worked well and I feel better.

There is something heinous and underhanded to me (perhaps years on FR) about the immediate accusation that one is lying, just because someone else doesn't agree with another person's words.

The word "lie" is both heavy and piercing.

One could say that they think Mia Love is wrong (I think she is), or even think she's stupid for saying what she did, but lying?

Irresponsible and inflammatory, IMO....
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Carling

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2015, 01:17:20 am »
Really, you are going to play the race card?  Talk about going as low as possible.

I'm not playing the race card.  I'm pointing out a fact.  She is black, and her election in a mostly-white district helps show voters that the GOP really has a big tent.  Now, because she won't runs fools' errands for 25 fools who had no coherent plan, she is the enemy to "the base."

Just leave the GOP.  We won't miss you.  Go be angry and wish for things that are never going to happen via politics.  Was the idea behind this silly publicity and fundraising stunt to make most of the GOP voting bloc despise 10% of the party?  If so, it's working.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 01:18:04 am by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Carling

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2015, 01:18:58 am »
Hmmm. I didn't know John Boehner was a king.

Huh. I guess it's good to be the king.

I could have sworn that we are a constitutional republic governed by democratic institutions. And that our political parties operated on the same essential principles: one person, one vote, open debate, free choice of leadership. Oh: and without fear of retribution because, after all, we're all on the same side, right?

Not right, apparently.

Those congressmen who are in this space vilely, disgustingly castigated as the "TEA 25": are in fact the only sons of bitches with balls left in the GOP.

They represent not a minority, but over 60 percent of the rank and file Republican Party - not the establishment pukes with rich relations, but actual voters marginalized by a political process that utterly favors the supporters of the massive, overbearing, insatiable State - because they gets the goodies, while those who don't want a damn thing get their pockets picked every April 15th. 

If John Boehner was one-tenth the leader some of you appear to think, he would have graciously accepted his Speaker's role, thanking those who voted for him and commending those who did not for their independence of mind, because, after all, we're all Republicans.

Instead, he threw a predictable hissy fit, like the privileged, sniveling little doll-collector we all know him to be. A real leader - a man with vision and testicular fortitude - would have quietly taken his opponents aside and said: "Look. I know we have different visions of how to proceed right now. But we have an incredible opportunity at this moment to seize the initiative and help set the stage for victory in 2016. Let's not blow it. So, if you'll promise to support the party leadership, I promise to absolutely consider your ideas and amendments, and I certainly will not speak ill of you or act to remove you from your chairs. Only a small man would act like that. After all, the enemy is across the aisle, not in this room. Are we good?"

But we're not dealing with a leader here. We're dealing with our very own stiff Boehner, which as any man will tell you, has no conscience.

I take it you're not big on metaphors.  He wasn't literally calling Boehner a king.  Sheesh.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 01:19:56 am by Carling »

Offline Carling

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2015, 01:22:43 am »

They represent not a minority, but over 60 percent of the rank and file Republican Party - not the establishment pukes with rich relations, but actual voters marginalized by a political process that utterly favors the supporters of the massive, overbearing, insatiable State - because they gets the goodies, while those who don't want a damn thing get their pockets picked every April 15th. 

If John Boehner was one-tenth the leader some of you appear to think, he would have graciously accepted his Speaker's role, thanking those who voted for him and commending those who did not for their independence of mind, because, after all, we're all Republicans.

So the 25 idiots who plotted to remove Boehner as speaker by using a procedural maneuver, and failed, should be trusted by Boehner and the rest of House leadership?  I'm sorry, but that's not how any professional organization works.  If you try a minority takeover, you'd better be damn sure that you win.  If you don't, you're done and basically are begging for table scraps with the dogs.

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2015, 01:30:03 am »
I take it you're not big on metaphors.  He wasn't literally calling Boehner a king.  Sheesh.

Metaphors, I get.

Loyalty to powerful, unprincipled people who will screw anyone, the better to to enrich themselves... not so much.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Carling

« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2015, 01:32:56 am »
Metaphors, I get.

Loyalty to powerful, unprincipled people who will screw anyone, the better to to enrich themselves... not so much.

I'm curious where you got your "60%" number that your referenced in a previous post.  Do you have a link for it?  I see this as 25 back-benchers engaged in a comically ill-conceived publicity stunt.

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2015, 01:37:08 am »
So the 25 idiots who plotted to remove Boehner as speaker by using a procedural maneuver, and failed, should be trusted by Boehner and the rest of House leadership?  I'm sorry, but that's not how any professional organization works.  If you try a minority takeover, you'd better be damn sure that you win.  If you don't, you're done and basically are begging for table scraps with the dogs.
So, if you don't vote in lockstep for a party Leader, you're an idiot?

That's not my country.

My grandparents fled that country.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Carling

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2015, 01:40:47 am »
So, if you don't vote in lockstep for a party Leader, you're an idiot?

That's not my country.

My grandparents fled that country.

They tried to get 30 votes so Boehner wouldn't be able to run.  They tried a takeover via a procedural loophole that means 15% of the caucus could have eliminated a leader who has almost 90% support.  Of course they don't have to vote for Boehner, but to then run to cameras and whine when you're on the outside is ridiculous.  It's Clown Town.

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2015, 01:42:50 am »
I'm curious where you got your "60%" number that your referenced in a previous post.  Do you have a link for it?  I see this as 25 back-benchers engaged in a comically ill-conceived publicity stunt.

http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2015/01/04/poll-more-than-half-of-gop-voters-displeased-with-boehner-budget-compromise/

Offline Carling

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2015, 04:10:21 am »
Metaphors, I get.

So your grandparents fled from a country where the only acceptable principles were espoused by a radical minority, and now you're here making the argument that those whose principles are not in concert with yours are unprincipled?

Do you even see the irony?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2015, 07:53:43 am »
They tried to get 30 votes so Boehner wouldn't be able to run.  They tried a takeover via a procedural loophole that means 15% of the caucus could have eliminated a leader who has almost 90% support.  Of course they don't have to vote for Boehner, but to then run to cameras and whine when you're on the outside is ridiculous.  It's Clown Town.
Really enjoying your posts Carling.  Thank you for expressing the opinion of me, and many others. 

During the primaries the far right was ecstatic that Mia Love won her seat.  http://www.tpnn.com/2014/04/28/mia-love-wins-gop-primary/ ...and again when she won the general election http://www.teaparty.org/mia-love-black-mormon-tea-party-republican-utah-confounds-media-67357/

On her first day on the job they throw her overboard.  Its just so wonderfully comical how the fringers chew up their heroes for the slightest infraction.  That is why they can count the number of acceptable US Senators on their fingers.

Come on over to the GOPe Mia.  We have lots of room here.  When you realize that the people who call you RINO are ignorant the name-calling loses its sting

Offline aligncare

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2015, 07:53:47 am »

I could have sworn that we are a constitutional republic governed by democratic institutions. And that our political parties operated on the same essential principles: one person, one vote, open debate, free choice of leadership. Oh: and without fear of retribution because, after all, we're all on the same side, right?

Not right, apparently.

Those congressmen who are in this space vilely, disgustingly castigated as the "TEA 25": are in fact the only sons of bitches with balls left in the GOP.

Instead, he threw a predictable hissy fit, like the privileged, sniveling little doll-collector we all know him to be. A real leader - a man with vision and testicular fortitude - would have quietly taken his opponents aside and said: "Look. I know we have different visions of how to proceed right now. But we have an incredible opportunity at this moment to seize the initiative and help set the stage for victory in 2016. Let's not blow it. So, if you'll promise to support the party leadership, I promise to absolutely consider your ideas and amendments, and I certainly will not speak ill of you or act to remove you from your chairs. Only a small man would act like that. After all, the enemy is across the aisle, not in this room. Are we good?"

But we're not dealing with a leader here. We're dealing with our very own stiff Boehner, which as any man will tell you, has no conscience.

Oh, man! I feel your passion! I've got to give you props here. Great post!

The thing is, Boehner turns my stomach. Not just politically, either. But his whole cotton mouth, slurred speech, tanned persona. I wish there were a better face of the Republican Party in the lower chamber. Come to think of it, we could do with a better face in the upper chamber, too. Geeze, where do they get these dead people to run for office?

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2015, 03:07:28 pm »
Oh, man! I feel your passion! I've got to give you props here. Great post!

The thing is, Boehner turns my stomach. Not just politically, either. But his whole cotton mouth, slurred speech, tanned persona. I wish there were a better face of the Republican Party in the lower chamber. Come to think of it, we could do with a better face in the upper chamber, too. Geeze, where do they get these dead people to run for office?

Those who can do! Those who cannot teach! Those who cannot teach become elected officials!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2015, 03:28:03 pm »

Not right, apparently.

That is a load of crap.

The "TEA 25" represent the people who sent them to DC, and the other 221 Republicans represent the people who sent them there.

The 60% crap that your waving around only represents the opinion of 602 people who may or may have not been Republicans or people who voted for a Republican in 2014.

One of the most basic functions of a leader is the ability to get others to follow him or her.

Gohmert's leadership gave him two votes plus his own. That's what you call a leader?

The hissy fit was the vote against Boehner, and that vote also clearly exposes Gohmert and company as frauds.

In order to get anything done in DC you need to have the votes. They didn't, and most importantly they knew that they didn't, but they did it anyway because the other thing that they know is that to their supporters the grand gesture and the appearance of doing something is more important than actually doing something. "Doing something" requires votes, and the "TEA 25" know that they'll need to get support from the rest of the GOP (and maybe even some Democrats) for anything that they want to actually do. They also know that to get that support they need to negotiate and compromise, but what they know (and what Pat Caddell knows) is that "compromise" is a "dirty word" to "radical conservatives" (Reagan's words, not mine) which is why TEA Party darlings like Mia Love fall from grace the moment they transition from speeches and rhetoric to governing.

P.S. Here's another set of questions from that same survey:

Fifty-two percent of respondents trust that Bohner will fight for the issues important to most Republicans.

Sixty-four percent believe that he's not been effective in fighting Obama's agenda and I agree with them. However, I also realize that his ineffectiveness has been largely due to Reid's obstructionism and Obama's propensity for Executive Orders and Memos.

A plurality of voters believe that he's got the best interest of the people at heart.

Those are impressive numbers when you consider that Congress as a whole has a 13.8% approval rating.   
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2015, 03:29:29 pm »
Those who can do! Those who cannot teach! Those who cannot teach become elected officials!

Gohmert is an elected official.

He got two votes.

That's two people (plus himself) who think that he can do something.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2015, 03:32:55 pm »
Gohmert is an elected official.

He got two votes.

That's two people (plus himself) who think that he can do something.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret here sport!

The object never was to elect Louis Goehmert as speaker! The object was to take Boehner out, let the process play out and a REAL leader emerge!

Goehmert knew that going in!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2015, 03:37:07 pm »
I'm going to let you in on a little secret here sport!

The object never was to elect Louis Goehmert as speaker! The object was to take Boehner out, let the process play out and a REAL leader emerge!

Goehmert knew that going in!

I'll let you in on an even BIGGER secret.

The most basic job description of a real leader is to rally people to the cause and get them to fight behind them.

They failed. 

Miserably.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2015, 03:44:01 pm »
I'll let you in on an even BIGGER secret.

The most basic job description of a real leader is to rally people to the cause and get them to fight behind them.

They failed. 

Miserably.

YOU can characterize it that way if you want! I don't! 

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2015, 03:47:46 pm »
YOU can characterize it that way if you want! I don't!

You don't agree that a leader's primary role is to motivate people to follow his or her lead?

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2015, 03:55:10 pm »
You don't agree that a leader's primary role is to motivate people to follow his or her lead?

I DO happen to agree with that! But I don't believe coercion to mean the same as motivate as you apparently do.  A REAL leader does not need to use such methods!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2015, 05:12:31 pm »
I DO happen to agree with that! But I don't believe coercion to mean the same as motivate as you apparently do.  A REAL leader does not need to use such methods!

Gohmert failed to get any significant support for his Boehner ouster move by any means.

He could neither motivate nor coerce.

He's not a leader then.

If he can't get more than 10% of his own Party to go along with something he believes in, how is he going to get the rest of the party (and maybe even some Democrats) to go along on anything?

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2015, 05:26:02 pm »
Gohmert failed to get any significant support for his Boehner ouster move by any means.

He could neither motivate nor coerce.

He's not a leader then.

If he can't get more than 10% of his own Party to go along with something he believes in, how is he going to get the rest of the party (and maybe even some Democrats) to go along on anything?

Are you dense or just willfully ignorant?  Gohmert volunteered to be the one to fall on his sword in this effort! He KNEW, from the outset that he was never going to be speaker but wanted to set the stage for someone other than Boehner to fill that post!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2015, 05:27:56 pm »
Are you dense or just willfully ignorant?  Gohmert volunteered to be the one to fall on his sword in this effort! He KNEW, from the outset that he was never going to be speaker but wanted to set the stage for someone other than Boehner to fill that post!

And neither he or the rest of the TEA 25 could muster enough support to get that done.

Then, the logical conclusion is that there are no leaders in that group.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2015, 05:29:31 pm »
And neither he or the rest of the TEA 25 could muster enough support to get that done.

Then, the logical conclusion is that there are no leaders in that group.

There surely are enough congenital cowards to go around! That is for sure!

- J. R. R. Tolkien