Author Topic: Mia Love explains why she voted for John Boehner as House speaker  (Read 19394 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: Mia Love explains why she voted for John Boehner as House speaker
« Reply #150 on: January 10, 2015, 05:48:32 am »
A classic example is the shutdown. It was the conservative wing that saw Obamacare as enough of a priority to tie it to the budget and was willing to suspend the government's unnecessary operations for a few months if that's what it took to get the Democrats to the table. It was the moderates who caved to the Democrats, paid the laid-off workers for work they didn't do, and got nothing in return. Boehner flip-flopped—and that inconsistency is part of the reason he needed to be replaced.
We got a GOP Senate and an historically huge majority in The House by not continuing the stupid shutdown.  It took Healthcare.gov's incompetence to make people forget the GOP's little foray into madness.

« Reply #151 on: January 10, 2015, 06:01:27 am »
When you suggest that a Congress run without compromise or negotiation is the way to go here, I shudder because I know what that feels like.

It feels like the past six years.

I don't want an Imperial Presidency and a Congress run by a bunch of people that refuse to negotiate with one another or reach compromises, and I don;t want it from either side.

In fact, the reason you and conservatives are all so frustrated right now, is because that's the exact kind of government we've had for years now.

Why would you want to emulate it?

I wish I had written that.  Bravo.

« Reply #152 on: January 10, 2015, 06:12:04 am »
There is no dying movement despite your continued claims of it!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPatfgoNBRo

wait

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #153 on: January 10, 2015, 06:12:31 am »
I do not think you are stupid or evil.  I think you are wrong, although I admit you make an understandable and compelling a case for your views.  You're a thoughtful writer and I appreciate the time you take to make your opinion clear.
And I don't think you are wrong about everything.  I share your concern about liberals and democrats.

Were we part ways is political tactics and the reality of what is possible under our Constitution given the American electorate. 

Everyone on this board wants this.  The problem is we represent roughly 30-35% of the voters in the Presidential election and maybe 40-45% in the midterms.  and the rightful bosses of those politicians and bureaucrats think that government should do some things that only government can do.  Like FEMA, USDA, FDIC...ectra.  They also think government needs to do something about healthcare costs even if they don't like Obamacare.  They don't think a government shutdown is the way a minority party should impose it will on the people.

Well Once-ler, you had me until you started talking about healthcare costs and the shutdown.  Yes - there are things that the Federal Gov't should administer, such as our military, protecting our borders, in Interstate Highway system, FEMA, USDA, etc.  Social issues....not so much - those should be left to the States to decide.  Personally, I think the biggest causes of unaffordable healthcare are lawsuits and Health INSURANCE.  Doctors end up running a lot of unnecessary tests to avoid lawsuits and people don't bitch about it because "insurance pays for it".  I interned in a doctor's office doing medical billing.  I was told to upgrade the billing for people who had good insurance through large companies (they would pay more for the same procedure that a person on Medicare or other types of insurance would).

As far as the shutdown (in which no one was laid off, no one missed their social security checks, no one missed their welfare money - only national parks and symbolic monuments, etc - were closed off to patriotic Americians - to inflict "visible" pain) - as far as the shutdown, Obama was the one that caused that - NOT Ted Cruz.  There comes a point when this behemoth gov't spending money it doesn't have - has got to be reigned in.  We cannot keep printing money to pay off a debt we couldn't afford to take on in the first place! 

I agree that the probability of being successful at stopping this madness is becoming more and more distant in the rear-view mirror every day that passes, but what is that saying?  Evil exists because good people do nothing?  The slippery slope is getting steeper and we're going faster and faster - the time for genteel back-and-forth is over.  We need some real men of action ASAP!

And we don't want an Imperial President and Congress - just follow the damn rules.  We want fiscal responsibility - and we want it now.  It's already too late!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

« Reply #154 on: January 10, 2015, 06:36:32 am »
As far as the shutdown (in which no one was laid off, no one missed their social security checks, no one missed their welfare money - only national parks and symbolic monuments, etc - were closed off to patriotic Americians - to inflict "visible" pain) -

This seems to say the shutdown was not important to voters.

as far as the shutdown, Obama was the one that caused that - NOT Ted Cruz.

Do you think a majority of voters blame Obama for the shutdown?

There comes a point when this behemoth gov't spending money it doesn't have - has got to be reigned in.  We cannot keep printing money to pay off a debt we couldn't afford to take on in the first place!

I'm not sure what this has to do with the unimportant shutdown that Obama caused. 

I agree that the probability of being successful at stopping this madness is becoming more and more distant in the rear-view mirror every day that passes, but what is that saying?  Evil exists because good people do nothing?  The slippery slope is getting steeper and we're going faster and faster - the time for genteel back-and-forth is over.  We need some real men of action ASAP!

And we don't want an Imperial President and Congress - just follow the damn rules.  We want fiscal responsibility - and we want it now.  It's already too late!

1.  The left uses immediacy to sell global warming. 
2.  Reagan wanted fiscal responsibility, he accepted far less in order to build the military.
3.  The US has been spending money like it wasn't theirs since before I was born and I ain't young.  Why do you believe drastic measures are called for now?

Good night alicewonders.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #155 on: January 10, 2015, 11:01:42 am »
Keeping in mind that legislation passed over the last 6 years was done solely by the democrats (without even reading the legislation) by shoving it down the American peoples throats because that is what you do when you have control of the nation.  Then when that did not work, obama simply used executive orders to get what he wanted.

So some are suggesting that we need to be bipartisan and overturn the last 6 years of abuse because we don't want to be like them.
BO is going to veto anything he does not like and if he does not get what he wants, he will simply write more executive orders.
The republicans do not have enough votes to override a veto and Boehner/McConnell have made it abundantly clear they are not going to challenge BO on any of his actions and have thus made congress irrelevant for the next 2 years.

Just recently the amnesty for illegals (BO says 5 million but others say 15 million) how are we going to fix that, with bipartisan votes?
How do we repeal obamacare, with bipartisan votes?
How do we secure the border, with bipartisan votes?
Since we are not going to fight the war on terror to win, we need to get our troops out of those cesspools, is congress going to help do that?
The VA is an unholy mess, are the libs going to fix that?

Not gonna happen.

This vote for speaker was probably the most important vote we have had in the last 30 years, and the sheep just led us down a dead end street...

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #156 on: January 10, 2015, 01:44:22 pm »
Everyone on this board wants this.   

If you truly believe that you are even more seriously deluded than I first thought!  NOTHING could be further from the truth IMHO!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #157 on: January 11, 2015, 03:23:57 am »
If you truly believe that you are even more seriously deluded than I first thought!  NOTHING could be further from the truth IMHO!
I'm honored that you have re-evaluated your opinion of me.