Author Topic: Voting Present is a Vote for Pelosi  (Read 395 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Voting Present is a Vote for Pelosi
« on: January 06, 2015, 12:07:33 am »
http://www.redstate.com/2015/01/05/voting-present-is-a-vote-for-pelosi/?utm_source=rsfbp&utm_medium=fbpage&utm_campaign=rsupdate

Voting Present is a Vote for Pelosi
By: Erick Erickson (Diary)  |  January 5th, 2015 at 12:24 AM

Some new members of the House of Representatives have pledged not to vote for Rep. John Boehner (R-OH)N/A. Instead of casting their vote for someone, they claim they will vote “present.” They need to understand that doing so is a vote for Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-CA)11%.

Under House rules, a Speaker is elected based on an absolute majority of votes cast for a person. There can be no plurality. The person elected Speaker must be elected based on an absolute majority of the votes cast.

But here is the catch.

If a member of the House of Representatives votes present, their vote is not considered. Consequently, each vote of present narrows the majority of Republicans and brings Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-CA)11% that much closer to being elected Speaker.

If thirty Republicans were to vote present, their votes would be negated and, as the GOP majority is 29, that would put the Democrats (assuming they all vote for Pelosi) in the majority.

I believe Republicans should vote against Rep. John Boehner (R-OH)N/A. Under the House rules, to do so requires that they vote for someone else. Again, of the votes cast, there must be an absolute majority, not a plurality.

Consequently, a vote for anyone other than Boehner prevents Pelosi from being Speaker and blocks Boehner.

Voting present brings us one step closer to Pelosi.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Re: Voting Present is a Vote for Pelosi
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 01:25:05 am »
In listening to Beck this afternoon...Pelosi becoming Speaker ... just is NOT true.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.